• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waldo Update

SpringsColt

Hey guys, I can't help but think of our Meet and Greet and the Waldo Canyon fire in the same thoughts, and I was curious if anyone would be interested in trying to help fashion some good old OC aid to the folks in need down here in Colorado Springs. I know that the rebuild hasn't started yet, but I was thinking that a few of us banding together on a free day to help might help to promote our OC cause, as well as help out the people in need. The response from the people in this community has been amazing, and I think that this thing is pretty personal to us, as we had out Meet and Greet down here the day that it began...

Anyone in a position to try to set something like this up? Anyone interested in some OC manual labor?

Let's get something rolling....

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
I'm in. I just need better than a week in order to adjust my schedule so I can be there on the day it happens.

As for organizing the thing, well, to put it simply (keeping the idea of a themed 'meet and greet' based on Larry the Cable Guy)
why not take point and 'git 'er done'!

All you really need to do is find a need, post a date and time for a bunch of us to gather so we can attack the issue.

I'd do it, but setting it up from here would be a bit.... tricky. You're already there, have a terrific idea, and can more easily find a project we can tackle.

We might even could bust out a few shovels, rakes and similar implents of destruction to help an older home owner to clear away debris.

The possibilities are many, but remember, we are not. Bear in mind that if you can get a dozen to turn out, that's a big herd.
Half a dozen would be more likely the number that'd turn out.
Something to bear in mind when picking a project.

Whatever happens, I'm ready to rock it out!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
I live smack on the edge of the burn area, and have discussed helping others with some of the residents as well as city personnel and others.

The largest hurdle involves requirements by insurance companies. Despite the damage to homes, the properties remain insured for liability, and insurance companies have mandated homeowners use only approved contractors to clear debris and rebuild. There are many reasons for this, including being bonded, protection from liability, city code requirements for building construction/certification and subsequent insurability of the new construction, etc. There's also a very real danger of toxic contamination from the burned rubble. Burned plastics and composites release some rather nasty toxins.

The Springsgov website includes a list of ways to donate and volunteer that will help the efforts the most. The one avenue which I believe might* be of the greatest benefit is through Help Colorado Now, specifically, by registering here as a volunteer. The form also allows people to register as a group.

*I say "might" as I'm unsure of any restrictions they may impose while operating under their auspices.

The one thing they absolute will not allow us to do is to walk on site and offer to help. Most of the neighborhoods with destroyed homes remain on mandatory evacuation status, and even the areas where the evacuation has been lifted are still patrolled by the National Guard (HMMWVs, 2-1/2s, and armed troops in full battle gear. It's "residents only" for now, and I suspect only residents and licensed contractors will be allowed in those areas for some time to come.