• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Taiwan, Police Seize DIY 12 Gauge Revolver

scott58dh

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This incident/story goes back several years.

Said then that I would not want to shoot that darn thing, nor be anywhere near it when it was fired.

My opinion has not changed.

scott58dh

This incident/story goes back several years.

Said then that I would not want to shoot that darn thing, nor be anywhere near it when it was fired.

My opinion has not changed.

i just thot it was interestingly humorous, & I see now that the story does date back to 2010.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Most here probably have never heard of much less seen the original "zip guns" of the 1960s and '70s. They were either made of metal car antenna or coffee pot percolator stems - fired .22 cal rim fire ammo. Used rubber bands for the firing pin (nail) spring. The barrel assembly was taped to the top of a coped frame/grip. Scary contraption that eventually would KABOOM.
http://maoist.wikia.com/wiki/Zip_Gun

scott58dh

Most here probably have never heard of much less seen the original "zip guns" of the 1960s and '70s. They were either made of metal car antenna or coffee pot percolator stems - fired .22 cal rim fire ammo. Used rubber bands for the firing pin (nail) spring. The barrel assembly was taped to the top of a coped frame/grip. Scary contraption that eventually would KABOOM.
http://maoist.wikia.com/wiki/Zip_Gun

Yeah, I remember hearing about *zip-guns* & also **Saturday Night Specials**.
:arrow:;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Specials

My, my,, how the times have changed. There was a time when a BG had to have "connections" to get a "SNS", now all they need to do is go to Mexico & OUR Gov't will just ship them all that they want, Tax Free at That ! ;)

peace&rkba4ever!:cool:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah, I remember hearing about *zip-guns* & also **Saturday Night Specials**.
:arrow:;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Specials

My, my,, how the times have changed. There was a time when a BG had to have "connections" to get a "SNS", now all they need to do is go to Mexico & OUR Gov't will just ship them all that they want, Tax Free at That ! ;)

peace&rkba4ever!:cool:

Inside scoop on Saturday Night Specials - that was the antis term for any affordable (cheaper) small pocket sized gun. The point was to make guns less affordable to the masses by trying to block the sales of such - not to save us from shoddy products. A few were poorly made, but most were up to the standards of the day.

There may be a few here that would recognize my .25 cal Raven as one of those. It has its place on the shelf......where it rests permanently.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Inside scoop on Saturday Night Specials - that was the antis term for any affordable (cheaper) small pocket sized gun. The point was to make guns less affordable to the masses by trying to block the sales of such - not to save us from shoddy products. A few were poorly made, but most were up to the standards of the day.

There may be a few here that would recognize my .25 cal Raven as one of those. It has its place on the shelf......where it rests permanently.

look up saturday night special in wikipedia,,, they will show a Raven.
I bought mine in 1976 at value giant in bremerton, 40 bucks.
It worked reliably untill I milled down the thickness of the slide to make it slimmer.
I broke off the front strap many years later, in front of many of my friends.
I wrote a thread about it.
After many hours in my machine shop, with some stainless sheet, hammers, milling, filing, and drilling, I reserected it !!!
I still shoot a few rounds when I go to the pit, and it is still reliable,,,, as it has always been.
010.jpg

1245A Defender

And,,,

Just to rerail this off topic posting...

I am playing with the build of a 12 gauge, single shot, pistol!
Using only hard ware store cheap pipe, tees, all thread, nuts, washers, springs and pipe cap.
Hand tools only. Hack saw, files, hand drill.
the hardest part to make will be the trigger.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Just to rerail this off topic posting...

I am playing with the build of a 12 gauge, single shot, pistol!
Using only hard ware store cheap pipe, tees, all thread, nuts, washers, springs and pipe cap.
Hand tools only. Hack saw, files, hand drill.
the hardest part to make will be the trigger.

I would be interested in seeing this creation. Hope you post pics if you decide to do it.

Dreamer

I find it particularly funny that the maker of this gun etched a "markers mark" that looks sort of like the Beretta logo, and the words "Made In USA" on the frame, between the grip and the trigger. Not many "zip gun" makers go to the trouble of making fake makers marks like that. Very clever...