Thread: Trying my hand at a political cartoon

Trying my hand at a political cartoon

Lol. I put it here in the Lounge since it is about Obamacare and not open carry.

Let me know what you think

John

Not bad....
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Not bad....
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Meh.
    Thank you for being honest with me.

Everybody just has to rub it in... sigh

But yeah, that is very good.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Thank you for being honest with me.
    No problem. The art isn't bad, and anything making fun of the 'tax that isn't a tax' is automatically in good taste; I just think it would be funnier if the antagonist were a landlord, neighbor or dentist rather than the child. I see the (intended?) angle of 'children learning bad lessons from the government', but I find that more depressing then humorous, so the comic isn't as funny to me as it could be.

No problem. The art isn't bad, and anything making fun of the 'tax that isn't a tax' is automatically in good taste; I just think it would be funnier if the antagonist were a landlord, neighbor or dentist rather than the child. I see the (intended?) angle of 'children learning bad lessons from the government', but I find that more depressing then humorous, so the comic isn't as funny to me as it could be.
    But the key part of the joke is that the child is "Young John Roberts" the current Chief Justice of the Supreme Court who switched sides and ruled that Obamacare is a tax in order to sustain it.

Ahhhhh. Missed that. (I blame placenta brain.)

In that case, it is a lot funnier.

Ahhhhh. Missed that. (I blame placenta brain.)

In that case, it is a lot funnier.
    Lol. Thanks!

It would have been better if YJR was, for instance, correcting the teacher who was accusing BarryO of stealing somebody's lunch money.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    It would have been better if YJR was, for instance, correcting the teacher who was accusing BarryO of stealing somebody's lunch money.

stay safe.
    It was a good first try, original and humorous. Keep it up, perhaps you found a new calling.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Lol. I put it here in the Lounge since it is about Obamacare and not open carry.

Let me know what you think

John
    It was mostly good. I would like to see a few more before I pass judgement.

However I do see great potential. Keep it up.

The artistic part was really good. It's the dialog that needs a little work.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Founder's Club Member
    I liked it.

I don't know that all comics are supposed to be funny. Certainly there were plenty of Doonesbury that were biting without being funny.

Take a few more chomps, John.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I like it.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I like it too , it reminds a little of something Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) might try to pull.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I like it too , it reminds a little of something Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) might try to pull.
    [Hobbesian eye-roll]
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    [Hobbesian eye-roll]
    Haha picturing that expression now.....Really like those and Far side.

Johns cartoon (and thinking of Calvin and Hobbes) reminds me how intelligent kids are and how often little credit they get.

Children and youth are quick to pick up on trickery and hypocrisy of the adult world. And from having kids of my own how adept they are at using your own ideas/rules(?) against you......often made me rethink, my own way of thinking, there is much to be learned from the mind of a child.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I think it's pretty good, John. The graphics are solid, and the text is along the right lines.

Both Walt Disney and Charles Shultz improved over time.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Not bad....
    For content and point, yes.

Meh.
    For computer-drawn art, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Very valid suggestion.

John, I consider it a good effort, but the critical advice offered above is also good.

I have a friend who started a political cartoon online with absolutely no drawing experience. He was pretty rough at first, then got better with practice, and refined his ability and techniques, and sharpened his political humor and focus to the point that he was able to launch a couple of related cartoons.

He made a little money from advertising, but not enough to give up his day job, so he eventually had to let his cartooning chill on the side burner. The point is, though, you can make it work if you work it hard enough.