• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fighting for CC rights in New Mexico

mwaterous

I know this is opencarry.org and probably why I can't find it, but I'm going to post and ask anyways. I think all gun rights relate, and there need be no major separation when it comes to fighting for the second amendment.

I read two issues back in Guns'n'Ammo of a local NM resident (a permanent resident green card holder from the land down under, like myself who is from the great white north) who is bringing the fight to court on why non-citizens are not allowed to obtain CC permits here. I would prefer to OC, but there are some places obviously I need to have a CC in order to keep my weapon with me. So I'd like to know what is going on with that fight, and if there is any way to show support for it.

I'll post back with the name and details if anybody else here doesn't already have that issue or a link to a thread on the subject.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
That "down under" OCer was at our "2011 2nd Annual RR/ABQ OC Get-Together Extravaganza" we had last Christmas at the Village Inn in Rio Rancho (I hope he will be at our 2012 3rd annual event this coming December).

But in the meantime, he may be attending some of the OC weekly RR/ABQ meets, or maybe the monthly one. Go to some and you may meet him...sooner or later.

"Tie me kangaroo down, Sport..." -- Rolf Harris (1963 song)

Last edited:

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
We have had a number of discussions with legislators regarding resident alien licensing. Polling legislators for support of any bill to make that privilage available to resident aliens has indicated there was never enough support to be able to expect such a bill to pass.

Moving forward to the courts is the most logical way to be successful in this case.

I won't use names here but if the individual that did the filing needs help - I'll do what I can.

Steve Aikens
steve@nm-ccw.com

RogueWarrior

We have had a number of discussions with legislators regarding resident alien licensing. Polling legislators for support of any bill to make that privilage available to resident aliens has indicated there was never enough support to be able to expect such a bill to pass.

Moving forward to the courts is the most logical way to be successful in this case.

I won't use names here but if the individual that did the filing needs help - I'll do what I can.

Steve Aikens
steve@nm-ccw.com

As the article says it is being handled by the SAF

mwaterous

Steve Aikens
steve@nm-ccw.com

The issue I'm sure is that there are very few of us resident aliens compared to citizens. Then there's probably even less who own guns, and even less than that who want to carry them anywhere a citizen can. Oh, and I do understand that some citizens think we don't deserve the same rights as them and for the most part I would agree... but I pay the same taxes, I put in the same hours at work, I am a patron of the same businesses, both small and large, and most importantly I bent over backwards and put myself through a rigorous and painful process just to come to a country not that far different from my own (ie I didn't come here for a handout, I was doing just fine... I just happen to like it here too). I would love the right to defend myself here as part of that deal.

To that end, if there is ever anything I can do to help the cause, please feel free to pm me!

mwaterous

As the article says it is being handled by the SAF

For those of us new on the scene, are there any updates that you can discuss? It looks like nothing has been filed since April... also is there any specific way to show support for this case, or is that only through supporting the SAF as a whole (ie donations, etc)?

RogueWarrior

For those of us new on the scene, are there any updates that you can discuss? It looks like nothing has been filed since April... also is there any specific way to show support for this case, or is that only through supporting the SAF as a whole (ie donations, etc)?

To my knowledge there will be more info coming soon. As for supporting the SAF here is a link to there site

http://www.saf.org/

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
I wish the SAF would sue the State of Hawaii for not issuing CC permits but at the same time, not allowing OC, either. Citizens of HI have no legal way to protect themselves past the front doors of their homes...which SHOULD be unconstiutional.

Count your blessings in NM...and here in TX -- even though we do not have OC, at least we have shall-issue CC.

Poor Kama'ainas...;-)

Last edited:

RogueWarrior

There is a hearing before a Judge on the 18th of December will let everyone know what happened after that date