• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw this while looking up code yesterday...

mpguy

It won't let me cut n paste, but it's sec 54-122.

http://library.municode.com/mobile/...showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=11612&docID=4

Would I be reading it correctly, that if I had a incident with a bg, and it came down accordingly, the city could charge me with discharge of a firearm in public?

I've been attempting to find what local ordinance are enforceable, if any that may/may not be covered under pre-excemption of state law. Google hasn't been to kind on the subject though..:confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mpguy

What city?

And no, use of a firearm in justifiable self-defense overrides "discharge of a weapon public".

Suffolk, Va. Thanks for the quick answer. I thought as much, but just attempting to do the correct research

TFred

What city?

And no, use of a firearm in justifiable self-defense overrides "discharge of a weapon public".
Generally speaking, I am pretty sure there is no "overriding" when it comes to these sorts of things. Every statute or ordinance I have ever seen has included concrete exceptions to allow for self-defense or other considerations as needed.

This ordinance is no exception. If you read further down, you find this:

(c)

Exceptions. The provisions of this section shall not be applicable to:

(1)

Law enforcement officers engaged in the lawful performance of their duties as such, nor shall they be applicable in any situation in which the discharge of a weapon is necessary for the preservation or protection of human life or property.

By the way, why is the Suffolk Board of Supervisors so lazy? They have an entire section of code that has been preempted for years, and rather than repeal it, they just have the editor add a note saying in effect, "this is preempted, so just ignore it."

Also noted that they have not yet cleaned up their fingerprint requirement for CHP applicants.

TFred

mpguy

See my note in prior post...

but... discharge cannot be preempted. 15.2-915 does not cover discharge.

TFred

So should I contact the city on any of this for clarification? It just seems to be counter productive on the matter.

TFred

So should I contact the city on any of this for clarification? It just seems to be counter productive on the matter.
No, no need. Did you miss the other part of my post? There is an exception to the no discharge ordinance:

"Exceptions. The provisions of this section shall not be applicable to: Law enforcement officers engaged in the lawful performance of their duties as such, nor shall they be applicable in any situation in which the discharge of a weapon is necessary for the preservation or protection of human life or property."

TFred (One M&P guy to another!)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

If you want clarification, ask User. You sure aren't going to get it from the locals.

mpguy

No, no need. Did you miss the other part of my post? There is an exception to the no discharge ordinance:

"Exceptions. The provisions of this section shall not be applicable to: Law enforcement officers engaged in the lawful performance of their duties as such, nor shall they be applicable in any situation in which the discharge of a weapon is necessary for the preservation or protection of human life or property."

TFred (One M&P guy to another!)

I missed read the last part of that post. I apologize for that. For some reason I had a blonde moment. Lol. Thanks guys for the info.

Fallschirjmäger

Pleading "Necessity of the Moment" is always valid in court. Most traffic ordinances make it illegal to cross over a double-yellow line.
But I think if you were charged with it and said, "Your Honor, if I had not crossed over the line I would have run over the mother and her two children in a stroller that attempted to cross the street without looking."