• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Resident Proof of training

billv

I live in Texas, where I have my CPL. I obtained another CPL from AZ (which requires proof of training) and they accepted my TX CPL as proof of training, since TX requires training and proficiency.

I've been shooting for over 2 years, and have taken several classes on shooting for pistols and carbines, home defense and will be taking one for concealed carry tactics this month.

I conceal carry all the time. I would open carry if it were legal here. :banghead:

I also shoot with a local group in competitions (http://www.txdpsa.com), but the group is not affiliated with USPSA or IDPA. Just a local group that get's together and shoots once a month. I do it for the fun and also for the practice in shooting under stress. I'm not sure that this would qualify as an "organized shooting competition" since it not affiliated with any national group. I am not sure how I would provide proof that I shoot with them.

Besides the above, I also go to the range at least once or twice a month.

I know how to shoot my 45 and hit what I aim at.

Looking at the FL training requirements (http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/firearms/acceptable_training_documentation.html), it does not seem that FL will take as proof my TX CPL, like AZ did.

It seems rather dumb that with all the shooting I do, that I still have to spend money to take a class where I'll be bored to death learning things I already know, just to get my FL CHP.

The SO and I are also considering moving to FL soon too, where I'd be forced to get my FL CHP since FL would no longer recognize my TX CHP.

Ironcally, since FL only recognizes permits from the state of residence, if I get my Non-resident FL CHP and move to FL, they would not recognize the FL CHP until I can prove residency in FL. Or did I read that wrong?

Any ideas?

rvrctyrngr

Lots of questions.

As far as training, was your Tx instructor NRA Certified? If so, that certificate would suffice for training (cert must include Instructor printed name, signature, and NRA Inst. number). If not, simply call DOACS and chat with them. See what they have to say about your 'organized shooting competitions'. If that doesn't work, have any friends that are NRA Certified Instructors? It doesn't have to be an NRA course...

If you obtain your FL CWFL while residing in Tx, once you move to FL, all you have to do is call DOACS and have them change your license address in their system. The actual CWFLs don't have addresses on them any longer, so you don't even need a new license.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

I live in Texas, where I have my CPL. I obtained another CPL from AZ (which requires proof of training) and they accepted my TX CPL as proof of training, since TX requires training and proficiency.

I've been shooting for over 2 years, and have taken several classes on shooting for pistols and carbines, home defense and will be taking one for concealed carry tactics this month.

Are any of these instructors state certified instructors...regardless of NRA affiliation?

any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

Ironcally, since FL only recognizes permits from the state of residence, if I get my Non-resident FL CHP and move to FL, they would not recognize the FL CHP until I can prove residency in FL. Or did I read that wrong?

Any ideas?

FL honors their own permit...no matter where you live when it is issued.

rmodel65

i used my hunters ed class from GA to qualify for my florida requirement...i took the "class" online and the test in person took a little over an hour probably and was free for me in GA