• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Riverfront Park Open Carry LEO Interaction

alexm963

Hello all, let me tell you a story.
Today when I got home from work I went and put my gun on as I always do. My wife said she wanted to take the kids down to Riverfront Park. If you haven't been there, you should really check it out if you're in Spokane. Beautiful place, small amusement park, carousel, nice scenery. Anyways we head down there and start walking on the South side of the river. We wanted to go by the water in front of the carousel, but there was no path for strollers on the West side so we walk around the back of it. Sure enough there are 3 bicycle officers on that side. I walk by them pushing my son in his stroller and nod as they look at my strong side. Probably came within 20 feet of them, no doubt they saw my M&P. I was getting a little nervous when i first saw them as I haven't had a LEO definitely see me packing yet. As we walk by they don't move at all but are watching me for sure. I get about 30 feet further and think all is well when I start hear the clicking of bike gears. Click, click, click...

LEO: "Excuse me sir?"
I turn, "Yes?"
LEO: "I just wanted to say, I think if there were more people like you there would be less crime."
ME::eek::D "Thank you very much officer!"
LEO: "It's good to see a defensive citizen"

Woah! I don't think I've smiled that big in years. And I don't think it went away for about and hour. As i heard him coming up all I was thinking was, Reasonable suspicion, probable cause, am I being detained? And when he walked away i was so happy my hands were shaking. I texted about 10 people who know I OC and got a lot of awesome responses. I am mad at my self for not getting his name or shaking his hand, but I was just in shock at the time. Anyways just wanted to give props to one of the good ones. They are out there and while this won't make me anymore compliant if anything happens another time it was a huge boost to my confidence.

Fibresteve

Nice to hear about interaction like this with LEO's. I only recently started to OC And haven't gad any LEO interaction yet good or bad. Hopefully if I do it goes as smooth as it did for you. I have family in Spokane and Have been to Riverfront park a few times. Beautiful place and my kids love the giant Radio Flyer wagon!

hermannr

Sounds like Spokane PD has come a long way. A long time ago (60's) it used to be like that (if you weren't black), but the Watts riots, and the black panthers got people scared, and politicians being politicians, they could not let any crisis go unexploited. (that is: We will protect you)

Happy to hear things are getting back to normal.

Wife and I also went to town today, as usually, no-one noticed.

sudden valley gunner

Or, he was an agent provocateur. Wanted to size you up and put you off your guard at the same time . . .

Or the Spokane OC'ers have stood up to harassment and shown up their illegal behavior so much, that they are on a campaign to prove they are "for OC".

Or the officer simply is expressing his own personal opinion and don't represent the rest of SPD.

Jeff Hayes

Or the Spokane OC'ers have stood up to harassment and shown up their illegal behavior so much, that they are on a campaign to prove they are "for OC".

Or the officer simply is expressing his own personal opinion and don't represent the rest of SPD.

We have come a long way over here in Spokane and still have along way to go. I remember the City of Spokane refusing to change their no guns in the parks laws a few years ago. We had an OC picnic at Manitoe Park and called the TV stations newspaper etc and one of the news reporters called the Cops on us and the Cops refused to come out. All in all Spokane has been and still is pretty OC friendly. Several of us have OCed for years with a minimum of problems.

carracer

I think a quick email to the dept to express your thanks for the professionalism of the encounter would be in order even if you don't know the names.

Lammo

I think a quick email to the dept to express your thanks for the professionalism of the encounter would be in order even if you don't know the names.

Absolutely in order. The SPD has a monthly newsletter in which they publish letters/e-mails from citizens. Can't swear a comment on this would make it in but it's worth a try.

The newsletters are here: http://spokanepolice.org/newsletters/default.aspx

Contact the editor, Kim Anderson at: kanderson@spokanepolice.org

sudden valley gunner

We have come a long way over here in Spokane and still have along way to go. I remember the City of Spokane refusing to change their no guns in the parks laws a few years ago. We had an OC picnic at Manitoe Park and called the TV stations newspaper etc and one of the news reporters called the Cops on us and the Cops refused to come out. All in all Spokane has been and still is pretty OC friendly. Several of us have OCed for years with a minimum of problems.

You guys are doing good work keep up the fight!

Was Manitoe the one I came to? I think after they harassed Bennie?