Thread: Chicago vs. Seattle

Chicago vs. Seattle

In Seattle the mayor, and chief of police are up in arms about the number of un-necessary gun deaths (22) since the first of the year. People are demanding stricter gun control laws. Definitely tragic, but let's look at Chicago where they have the "strictest gun control laws":Last 24 hours 22 shot, 5 dead in Chicago, 270 killed so far this year. This is totally impossable since Chicago has one the most resrictive gun laws right? Rant-complete.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    In Seattle the mayor, and chief of police are up in arms about the number of un-necessary gun deaths (22) since the first of the year. People are demanding stricter gun control laws. Definitely tragic, but let's look at Chicago where they have the "strictest gun control laws":Last 24 hours 22 shot, 5 dead in Chicago, 270 killed so far this year. This is totally impossable since Chicago has one the most resrictive gun laws right? Rant-complete.
    where did you get these stats?

Quote Originally Posted by hammer6 View Post
    You caught it before I did.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I hope the good people of Seattle and Washington learn from the lessons of IL and Chicago and refuse to adopt stricter laws that will have no impact on the criminals who ignore these laws.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Workman had an article dealing with this a few years ago. I did the math and ratio'd out for population and Chicago was still a lot more higher than Seattle on murder ratio.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 07-05-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Watching the news. Plus there is this website I've heard about called GOOGLE.COM.
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 07-05-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Watching the news. Plus there is this website I've heard about called GOOGLE.COM.
    really. never heard of it. i just thought that someone who is going to post some statistics to back up a claim would post a source. i guess not though.

really. never heard of it. i just thought that someone who is going to post some statistics to back up a claim would post a source. i guess not though.
    He's in the ballpark, and his logic is sound i.e. the logic of Seattle's leaders is out to lunch. If you have other stats, help him out! Otherwise, shhh! He's on a roll.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    He's in the ballpark, and his logic is sound i.e. the logic of Seattle's leaders is out to lunch. If you have other stats, help him out! Otherwise, shhh! He's on a roll.
    suppose you're correct. how am supposed to quote these statistics if i don't know where they come from? i'm more inclined to look past this post because of the lack of a site.... catch my drift?

suppose you're correct. how am supposed to quote these statistics if i don't know where they come from? i'm more inclined to look past this post because of the lack of a site.... catch my drift?
    Open Google or your favorite browser, type in "Seattle murder stats" hit enter..... then change Seattle to Chicago......

Seattle: http://www.seattle.gov/police/crime/...jor_Crimes.pdf

Chicago: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...3c&output=html

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    Open Google or your favorite browser, type in "Seattle murder stats" hit enter..... then change Seattle to Chicago......

Seattle: http://www.seattle.gov/police/crime/...jor_Crimes.pdf

Chicago: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...3c&output=html
    that's not my point....the point is- i can say anything i want, throw some stats at you, and call it a day. and joe-shmo will quote me on it, whether i am right or wrong. there's gotta be some accountability when you post something...and i am pretty sure it's in the forum rules.

oh well.

there's gotta be some accountability when you post something...and i am pretty sure it's in the forum rules.
    oh well.
    You didn't cite the rule, why?

Anyway here it is:
    (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    The rule speaks of citing law as I understand it, I don't see where the OP was required to cite anything, helpful, but not required. Some stuff is so easy to look up that in the time it took to post about not citing one could have found the information. Making the lack of cite the new subject is wasting time. IMO.
    Last edited by jbone; 07-09-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
    Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable. - Mark Twain
    Anything else is fair game.....besides, if it is on the Internet it must be true.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Dang.....three minutes too late.....again.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

suppose you're correct. how am supposed to quote these statistics if i don't know where they come from?
    You get off your butt and look them up yourself. It's called "peer-review." If you find your research matches his, it's confirmation that he's right. If you find it counters his, then you post your own research and cites.

i'm more inclined to look past this post because of the lack of a site.... catch my drift?
    If that's your inclination, then by all means, move along...

there's gotta be some accountability when you post something...and i am pretty sure it's in the forum rules.
    There's also accountability when you counter what someone else has posted - you have to back those assertions up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    Bingo! Too bad he's never heard of Google.
    Last edited by since9; 07-10-2012 at 04:04 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    You get off your butt and look them up yourself. It's called "peer-review." If you find your research matches his, it's confirmation that he's right. If you find it counters his, then you post your own research and cites.

If that's your inclination, then by all means, move along...

There's also accountability when you counter what someone else has posted - you have to back those assertions up as well.

Bingo! Too bad he's never heard of Google.

lol i didn't cite anything- i suggested i "think" it says that. lol.