• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago vs. Seattle

golddigger14s

Activist Member
In Seattle the mayor, and chief of police are up in arms about the number of un-necessary gun deaths (22) since the first of the year. People are demanding stricter gun control laws. Definitely tragic, but let's look at Chicago where they have the "strictest gun control laws":Last 24 hours 22 shot, 5 dead in Chicago, 270 killed so far this year. This is totally impossable since Chicago has one the most resrictive gun laws right? Rant-complete.

hammer6

In Seattle the mayor, and chief of police are up in arms about the number of un-necessary gun deaths (22) since the first of the year. People are demanding stricter gun control laws. Definitely tragic, but let's look at Chicago where they have the "strictest gun control laws":Last 24 hours 22 shot, 5 dead in Chicago, 270 killed so far this year. This is totally impossable since Chicago has one the most resrictive gun laws right? Rant-complete.

where did you get these stats?

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I hope the good people of Seattle and Washington learn from the lessons of IL and Chicago and refuse to adopt stricter laws that will have no impact on the criminals who ignore these laws.

sudden valley gunner

Workman had an article dealing with this a few years ago. I did the math and ratio'd out for population and Chicago was still a lot more higher than Seattle on murder ratio.

Last edited:

hammer6

Watching the news. Plus there is this website I've heard about called GOOGLE.COM.

really. never heard of it. i just thought that someone who is going to post some statistics to back up a claim would post a source. i guess not though.

since9

Campaign Veteran
really. never heard of it. i just thought that someone who is going to post some statistics to back up a claim would post a source. i guess not though.

He's in the ballpark, and his logic is sound i.e. the logic of Seattle's leaders is out to lunch. If you have other stats, help him out! Otherwise, shhh! He's on a roll. :)

hammer6

He's in the ballpark, and his logic is sound i.e. the logic of Seattle's leaders is out to lunch. If you have other stats, help him out! Otherwise, shhh! He's on a roll. :)

suppose you're correct. how am supposed to quote these statistics if i don't know where they come from? i'm more inclined to look past this post because of the lack of a site.... catch my drift?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
suppose you're correct. how am supposed to quote these statistics if i don't know where they come from? i'm more inclined to look past this post because of the lack of a site.... catch my drift?

Open Google or your favorite browser, type in "Seattle murder stats" hit enter..... then change Seattle to Chicago......

Seattle: http://www.seattle.gov/police/crime/12_Stats/2012_Major_Crimes.pdf

Chicago: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ara-YVofdq9jdHBlal9OaGhWUDFsbkNFbkpraV9tS3c&output=html

hammer6

Open Google or your favorite browser, type in "Seattle murder stats" hit enter..... then change Seattle to Chicago......

Seattle: http://www.seattle.gov/police/crime/12_Stats/2012_Major_Crimes.pdf

Chicago: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ara-YVofdq9jdHBlal9OaGhWUDFsbkNFbkpraV9tS3c&output=html

that's not my point....the point is- i can say anything i want, throw some stats at you, and call it a day. and joe-shmo will quote me on it, whether i am right or wrong. there's gotta be some accountability when you post something...and i am pretty sure it's in the forum rules.

oh well.

jbone

there's gotta be some accountability when you post something...and i am pretty sure it's in the forum rules.
oh well.

You didn't cite the rule, why?

Anyway here it is:
· (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

The rule speaks of citing law as I understand it, I don't see where the OP was required to cite anything, helpful, but not required. Some stuff is so easy to look up that in the time it took to post about not citing one could have found the information. Making the lack of cite the new subject is wasting time. IMO.

Last edited:

OC for ME

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable. - Mark Twain
Anything else is fair game.....besides, if it is on the Internet it must be true.

since9

Campaign Veteran
suppose you're correct. how am supposed to quote these statistics if i don't know where they come from?

You get off your butt and look them up yourself. It's called "peer-review." If you find your research matches his, it's confirmation that he's right. If you find it counters his, then you post your own research and cites.

i'm more inclined to look past this post because of the lack of a site.... catch my drift?

If that's your inclination, then by all means, move along...

there's gotta be some accountability when you post something...and i am pretty sure it's in the forum rules.

There's also accountability when you counter what someone else has posted - you have to back those assertions up as well.

Bingo! Too bad he's never heard of Google. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

hammer6

You get off your butt and look them up yourself. It's called "peer-review." If you find your research matches his, it's confirmation that he's right. If you find it counters his, then you post your own research and cites.

If that's your inclination, then by all means, move along...

There's also accountability when you counter what someone else has posted - you have to back those assertions up as well.

Bingo! Too bad he's never heard of Google. :rolleyes:

lol i didn't cite anything- i suggested i "think" it says that. lol.