Thread: Classroom scenario comes true.

Classroom scenario comes true.

While taking my CHP class, one of the "what if's" the instructor described was the action to take if witness to an armed robbery while in a store. The armed witness in the linked story did as we were told to do. He won't be charged, but lives with the memory of that night.
    Too bad for everyone involved that the robber made such a bad decision.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/P...161515505.html

I don't know. I think the customer shouldn't had aim for the head, should had shot him in the lower section. I would had given him a warning to drop his weapon if I can give him that chance and if he made another move then I would had shot him. What you think?

Does anyone know if "Maurice Lewis" the citizen, is "one of ours"?
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madcitysw View Post
    I don't know. I think the customer shouldn't had aim for the head, should had shot him in the lower section. I would had given him a warning to drop his weapon if I can give him that chance and if he made another move then I would had shot him. What you think?
    I think if your ever in that situation you should do whatever you think best. If you do decided to shoot the "lower section" be prepared for return shots. I think return shots are less likely after a shot to the face/head.

Maybe have thrown in a warning shot as well. Do what? Shouldn't have aimed for the head but the legs to just wound the armed criminal? Are you being serious? I think you been watching too much tv.

I want to know what the caliber was that can be used for non lethal head shots. The guy is only in serious condition after being shot in the head from close range.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    My only real issue with this whole story is the thousands spent in tax money to save the criminals life. Hopefully he can recover enough to leech away thousands more in room/board and cable in prison....

If you're giving warning shots or shooting in not-so-lethal areas, then you don't really feel like you're life is in immediate danger. Which negates the need to draw a weapon in the first place. I'm a firm believer in there only being one story to be told in the end.

Way to go! The thought that "I might die if I try to rob this place" should drastically reduce robberies. Talk to criminals in a language they understand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Heel View Post
    I want to know what the caliber was that can be used for non lethal head shots. The guy is only in serious condition after being shot in the head from close range.
    Caliber doesn't matter as much as shot placement. I have seen many non-lethal head shots in my 15+ years as a medic. Some with large caliber handguns. I've even seen several fatal head shots with small caliber handguns. It all depends on what part(s) of the brain get hit/damaged. Look at Gabby Giffords...

Edit: kudos to the armed citizen for having a firearm, and not being afraid to take action. One less thug off the street. Just sucks taxpayers will be footing his recovery bill...
    Last edited by Medic1210; 07-09-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Wonder how long it will take for Jesse and Al to show up...

Kudos to the armed citizen, though I take it he was a concealed carry, or the robber was just a very dumb criminal.

Shame the cockroach didn't die.
    Who said he aimed for the head? Clicked the link and watched the news report and there was no mention about that aspect.
    Maybe said person is a terrible shot or was nervous. Either way, good job.

He may not have even been aiming. When stress,adreneline, and nerves all clash - the average man can point and pull the trigger. Unless you have done practice drills and muscle memory kicks in, I think you would be running more on instinct than anything else. Shoot the bad guy. Sad to see my tax dollars will be wasted on a punk trying to rob a store. Im sure his momma will say how much of a good boy he was and how he didn't deserve to be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHoneySmacks View Post
    .......... Sad to see my tax dollars will be wasted on a punk trying to rob a store. Im sure his momma will say how much of a good boy he was and how he didn't deserve to be shot.
    and then they'll post pictures of him when he was 12 (pre-tats, gold grill, and needle marks), sucking on a lollypop being a "good boy". GMAB. Al Sharpton bought his plane tickets yesterday..... ;(

+ a lot.

There are rattlesnakes and copperheads; I'm a copperhead...... he had his chance to be an honest and didn't take it.

I think I'd rather end the situation in my favor rather than end up in a gun fight. That said, I would probably not have shot him in the head. Too small of a target and moves too much unless you are really close. But if I go with a chest shot, it will come in a group of 3-5 at one time. Anything worth shooting once, is worth shooting multiple times.

Center mass

I repeat again: Center mass! A much better chance of stopping the threat when you AIM for center mass. Good job geting this "little angel" off the street. I am sure the Feds are happy to get their hands back on him.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org