Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry - Staunton...Harrisonburg...Waynesboro...Ect

Open Carry - Staunton...Harrisonburg...Waynesboro...Ect

I noticed there were no threads to share open carry experiences from these areas so I figured I would start one...

I don't get out too much but I'll start it off..yesterday we decided to run out to Willy's Ice Cream Stand in Waynesboro for my wife's birthday. While we were there a gentleman and his wife noticed my sidearm and sparked discussion. Turns out (after getting away from the crowd) the couple loves firearms, the husband has a class III, was carrying concealed, and they were looking for a church so we invited them to ours. Amid the discussion I completely forgot to invite him here.

We also did some shopping at Wally World...

I know there's a few more members in my area...lets hear about your OC travels.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-07-2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: remove exclamation mark

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Actually, there aren't a lot of members there Trapper. We used to have one or two in Harrisonburg, but I haven't seen them for a while. I'm really hoping you get some people involved.

The Harrisonburg PD is no the friendliest in the world, so carry a recorder. I know the Commonwealths attorney and the Circuit Court judge very well Both are good friends and from that end, there won't be any problems. The Police Dept just has a stick up their backsides and always have.

I have no idea about Staunton but Waynesboro has always been friendly.

Keep this thread up on top and they will come.

I also heard an interesting response to a customer while I was shopping in Dominion Outdoors a couple weeks ago...

The gun salesman was carrying in a shoulder rig and I missed part of the conversation. In a nutshell the customer's wife was "disturbed" by the salesman carrying and the husband voiced her disgust. The salesman simply replied: "Close your eyes". He later went on to talk about our rights but I missed that part because I didn't want to seem nosey. Don't quote me but that's how I remember it although its been two or three weeks.

Upon visits to Waynesboro and Staunton I have OCed without incident.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeTrapper View Post
    I also heard an interesting response to a customer while I was shopping in Dominion Outdoors a couple weeks ago...

The gun salesman was carrying in a shoulder rig and I missed part of the conversation. In a nutshell the customer's wife was "disturbed" by the salesman carrying and the husband voiced her disgust. The salesman simply replied: "Close your eyes". He later went on to talk about our rights but I missed that part because I didn't want to seem nosey. Don't quote me but that's how I remember it although its been two or three weeks.
    I know that gentleman you are speaking of.
    To go to a gun store and be disturbed by guns is disturbing in itself.

Rover, there's another salesman in there that has started to wear a shoulder rig but he's either new or part time because I haven't seen him much.

Made a trip to Idiehl Tire between Stuarts Draft & Waynesboro today (outside of Draft with a 'Boro address?)...they're ALWAYS great to deal with and never have problems there!

Also went to Food Dog (Lion) in Fishersville without a hitch.

I've carried in the BP and Food Kitty in the Draft with no issues. I think for the most part people don't even notice and if they do noone cares much.
    I also always open carry when I fish and when I do see people they haven't said anything except for once at Rawley Springs where someone told me I couldn't carry in the National Forest. I corrected him on that count.
    He was pissed because I bitched him out about driving on closed trails, but that's another story (ask me how I almost got the Harrisonburg water comissioner fired sometime!).
    Last edited by Roverhound; 07-26-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Just moved to Virginia...Any OC friendly places in Manassas?

Hi, all! Just joined OCDO and this is my first post. I suppose like most (all?) of us on this site I think it is important that we as responsible gun owners show others that we are not all criminals and are, in fact, "normal" people. In order to accomplish this I am always inviting non-gun owning friends and family to the range to get introduced to the "other side" of guns that is not often shown to the masses in the media, etc. That is, that guns are not just a tool for the criminally-minded. I think another way to accomplish this is to open-carry. I hope that by OCing some of the taboo and stereotype will be removed in the eyes of non-gun owners. I just moved from the great state of Maryland (insert sarcasm here) to Manassas. While I was waiting for my CCW I did open-carry in a Buffalo Wild Wings in Woodbridge and was unfortunately ask to leave by the bouncer. He said he was aware that it was legal to OC. Anyway, it was about the time that I was paying my bill so I politely and calmly left after paying my bill. Since then I have received my CCW and have not open carried since. I think I need to gain some courage to start OCing regularly by going to some establishments that I know are OC friendly. If anyone knows of OC friendly restaurants, etc. in the Manassas area I'd appreciate you posting something. Thanks!

Most places in Manassas are not going to be any trouble. I think the Mall is the biggest one that is. I'm sure there are a few local branches of big chain restaurants that would hassle you, but I never go to those types of places anyway. Too many good locally owned places to eat. Welcome to the area, and I'm sure others who go to unfriendly places around here can fill you in better. I've never been asked to leave anywhere in Manassas personally.

Voice recorder???

Thanks for that information Paul. That certainly gives me a bit more confindence. I also have a general question for everyone. I noticed, after reading a number of posts, that quite a few OCers carry a voice recorder. Is that pretty standard for most OCers? What kind of device are people using exactly? I do not have a smartphone so I wouldn't be able to use an app if that is what people are using (assuming one is available). If I am going to be regularly OCing I want to make sure I am doing it right! Thanks again for any information.

Quote Originally Posted by Arma1911 View Post
    Thanks for that information Paul. That certainly gives me a bit more confindence. I also have a general question for everyone. I noticed, after reading a number of posts, that quite a few OCers carry a voice recorder. Is that pretty standard for most OCers? What kind of device are people using exactly? I do not have a smartphone so I wouldn't be able to use an app if that is what people are using (assuming one is available). If I am going to be regularly OCing I want to make sure I am doing it right! Thanks again for any information.
    THIS is the one I have, although I paid quite a bit less than it's selling for in the link so you might want to search around for the best deal. Rechargeable batteries are a good idea to have too.
    Last edited by scouser; 07-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Scouser, Much appreciated!

Just to get this back on track I figured I would bump it up...

Got the wife's car inspected at Eaver's Tire in Draft...went to Dominion Outdoors...then picked up the wife from work. I know you guys get around more than I do

Took a quick trip to Waynesboro to hit Chick-Fil-A and Wally World. The wife also supported Bodo's while in C-ville for classes.

My daughter is a senior at JMU this year and I have on many occasions open carried in Harrisonburg over the last three years with out incident. Granted I don't live there and carry openly all year round but I intend to be in Harrisonburg on Friday, anyone want to do lunch? They do have a Quaker Steak and Lube now, as well as an O'Charlies and of course the the Texas Roadhouse.
    Last edited by tcmech; 07-30-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcmech View Post
    My daughter is a senior at JMU this year and I have on many occasions open carried in Harrisonburg over the last three years with out incident. Granted I don't live there and carry openly all year round but I intend to be in Harrisonburg on Friday, anyone want to do lunch? They do have a Quaker Steak and Lube now, as well as an O'Charlies and of course the the Texas Roadhouse.
    The Harrisonburg PD hasn't changed much but Marsha Garst, the Commonwealths Attorney simply refuses to prosecute frivolous cases. It's quieted them down some.

Big Lots - Waynesboro
    Sharp Shoppers - Waynesboro
    Kohl's - Waynesboro
    Country Cookin' - Staunton

Where's the Valley carriers?

Big Lots - Waynesboro
    Sharp Shoppers - Waynesboro
    Kohl's - Waynesboro
    Country Cookin' - Staunton

Where's the Valley carriers?
    By the way...the manager in Kohl's offered me a special coupon and the fellar (I guess asst. manager?) in Country Cookin' wanted to be sure my fried pickles were good enough. Could it have been dumb luck? Or is everyone just attracted to my dashing good looks?

I noticed there were no threads to share open carry experiences from these areas so I figured I would start one...

I don't get out too much but I'll start it off..yesterday we decided to run out to Willy's Ice Cream Stand in Waynesboro for my wife's birthday. While we were there a gentleman and his wife noticed my sidearm and sparked discussion. Turns out (after getting away from the crowd) the couple loves firearms, the husband has a class III, was carrying concealed, and they were looking for a church so we invited them to ours. Amid the discussion I completely forgot to invite him here.

We also did some shopping at Wally World...

I know there's a few more members in my area...lets hear about your OC travels

Im in the harrisonburg/elkton area and almost always OC.havent had any real issues.just odd looks..

Quote Originally Posted by always_packin View Post
    Im in the harrisonburg/elkton area and almost always OC.havent had any real issues.just odd looks..
    One heck of a (year and a half) necro post there always_packin.

Welcome to OCDO, and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona! I'm sure others will be along soon to extend a welcome as well.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Arma1911 View Post
    Hi, all! Just joined OCDO and this is my first post. I suppose like most (all?) of us on this site I think it is important that we as responsible gun owners show others that we are not all criminals and are, in fact, "normal" people. In order to accomplish this I am always inviting non-gun owning friends and family to the range to get introduced to the "other side" of guns that is not often shown to the masses in the media, etc. That is, that guns are not just a tool for the criminally-minded. I think another way to accomplish this is to open-carry. I hope that by OCing some of the taboo and stereotype will be removed in the eyes of non-gun owners. I just moved from the great state of Maryland (insert sarcasm here) to Manassas. While I was waiting for my CCW I did open-carry in a Buffalo Wild Wings in Woodbridge and was unfortunately ask to leave by the bouncer. He said he was aware that it was legal to OC. Anyway, it was about the time that I was paying my bill so I politely and calmly left after paying my bill. Since then I have received my CCW and have not open carried since. I think I need to gain some courage to start OCing regularly by going to some establishments that I know are OC friendly. If anyone knows of OC friendly restaurants, etc. in the Manassas area I'd appreciate you posting something. Thanks!
    I'll shoot you a PM shortly to give you some information about Manassas and its surround for OC'ing.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by always_packin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post

Welcome to OCDO, and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona! I'm sure others will be along soon to extend a welcome as well.
    Welcome to OCDO always_packin.

Lost of good people in Staunton/Harrisonburg/Waynsboro - nothing wrong with bumping a thread that shouldn't have fallen off along the way. Keep us posted - don't expect you to experience any real promlems.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Welcome to OCDO always_packin.

Lost of good people in Staunton/Harrisonburg/Waynsboro - nothing wrong with bumping a thread that shouldn't have fallen off along the way. Keep us posted - don't expect you to experience any real promlems.

Thanks!
    No so far no issues at all.just havent seen many others OC in the area.i went out today with wife and daughter(1 yr old) and ppl acted pretty normal (a few wierd looks) but assuming my kid was there (and I am usually always friendly towards others)kinda made ppl ease up.went to sharp shopper, walmart and a few other places.if I have any problems while OC ing I will definitely let you guys know.thanks for the welcome and hope to meet others who OC soon

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post

haha thanks!

The only comment I've ever had about open carry is a lady in the Staunton Martins asked me if I had a 9 or a 40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast