• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How often is your gun purchase private sale?

How often is your gun purchase through an FFL

• I have never purchased through an FFL

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • The majority of my gun purchases are through FFL

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • The majority of my gun purchases are private sales

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I have never purchased a gun through private sale

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

twoskinsonemanns

I was just curious to see what percentage of non-FFL sales are going on.

Really my main curiosity is what percentage of gun owners have NEVER purchased through an FFL and therefore there is not record they are gun owners.

I know every time "gun registration" is brought up my people jump down the posters throat and cry chicken-little!
Yes technically there is no national registry, but I've been doing a lot of thinking about the ground work of registration which I think has been laid. Who has the guns?... I believe they really want to know. AFAIK the ATF has still not explained why they demanded the records from various FFLs in Alaska despite an Alaskan Congresswoman demanding answers. Of course all those records get turned in the ATF Out-of-Business Center when the FFL is no longer.

Shoobee

I normally always buy at an FFL (gunshop).

However last time I called around trying to find a CZ in 45ACP none of the stores had any in stock, not anywhere in California, Nevada, or Arizona.

So I resorted to the internet and found 2 of them, one to the north of me, and another to the south of me, at opposite ends of the state.

The one to the norht had a better price, and seem more straightforward, so I drove up, met him at a gunshop of his choosing, and we conducted the transaction.

He loves the CZ's in 9mm rather than the 45ACP, and I am not overly fond of 9mm's anymore and wanted the 45ACP.

It's the only time I have made a private purchase. For the other dozen or two dozen times I have bought a firearm, I went right to a gunshop.

Last edited:

Maine Expat

Shoobee,

Just a quick comment on your location info under your avatar.

That CCCP we all used to see on the Olympian uniforms is actually the Cyrillic characters for SSSR or what we know as USSR. My wife is Ukrainian and I speak & read the language enough to function in the land of short skirts and high heels. In fact, I'm a Male Order Groom. :banana:

Oh and to be ON topic, I have never bought from an organized shop. All my guns were private deals, mostly for the prices.

Last edited:

zack991

I try not to go through dealers as much as I used too since I can get better prices from a private sell as well as more privacy. I do not care for all the ATF miss deeds and I 100% do not trust them as far as I can spit with my personal info. I will have to go through an FFL to pick my latest rifle when I return to the states but given the choice I always try to go private sales.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is none of your business...

Simply ignoring the thread would have been fine.

No reason to advise him of what he already knows - his thoughts may be expressed just as yours have been.

I think his point is well taken in as much as this is a public forum; therefore, any and all personal information posted becomes public knowledge. Further it seems to me that how many of us or what percentage do or do not buy from FFLs could provide fuel for the antis in their "loophole" argument. I, for one, desire that private sales of anything remain between myself and a purchaser.

Until I was a senior in high school, I lived in a mid-western city which based your personal property taxes on vehicles and anything you owned that had an electric motor in it. A neighbor looked up my mom's public record personal property tax filing and found that she did not show any personal property tax due - there was a finders fee of 50% of the tax for turning in a a friend/neighbor who filed too low.

A tax man actually came out to the house to confirm that we had no electric vacuum, electric mixer, no electric dryer, dishwasher, or washing machine (ringer washing machines were exempt) ...... there wasn't an electric motor in the house anywhere, no vehicle and we found out who the "good neighbor" was.

From that point on, even as a teenager, I developed the attitude that some things should be private and that any information that other people and/or the government collects on us should be limited and closely held.

So what I buy/sell, where and how I make the transaction, will not be publicly disclosed. Is that nicer? :p

twoskinsonemanns

No reason to advise him of what he already knows - his thoughts may be expressed just as yours have been.

I think his point is well taken in as much as this is a public forum; therefore, any and all personal information posted becomes public knowledge. Further it seems to me that how many of us or what percentage do or do not buy from FFLs could provide fuel for the antis in their "loophole" argument. I, for one, desire that private sales of anything remain between myself and a purchaser.

Until I was a senior in high school, I lived in a mid-western city which based your personal property taxes on vehicles and anything you owned that had an electric motor in it. A neighbor looked up my mom's public record personal property tax filing and found that she did not show any personal property tax due - there was a finders fee of 50% of the tax for turning in a a friend/neighbor who filed too low.

A tax man actually came out to the house to confirm that we had no electric vacuum, electric mixer, no electric dryer, dishwasher, or washing machine (ringer washing machines were exempt) ...... there wasn't an electric motor in the house anywhere, no vehicle and we found out who the "good neighbor" was.

From that point on, even as a teenager, I developed the attitude that some things should be private and that any information that other people and/or the government collects on us should be limited and closely held.

So what I buy/sell, where and how I make the transaction, will not be publicly disclosed. Is that nicer? :p

Are the voting results not anonymous?
I had a curiosity. If you don't want to vote then don't.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Thanks to everyone who voted. IMO It's a pretty good indication of the percentage of FFL (documented) sales to the personal ones.
My thinking was if the time comes to gather the guns they will know who has them. Even if only one or two of your gun sales were through an FFL they will know... Even now with the so-called no-registration in America if you've ever bought a gun from an FFL who is now out of business the ATF has those records, even now.....

DangerClose

I laughed when reading people buy privately because the deals are better. I watch for deals a good bit, and the used guns I see for sale around here are rarely a good deal. Except for shotguns at pawn shops.

It's like people overpay when buying in-person and then when selling it used are surprised when someone can find it cheaper new on the same internet the person is posting their used gun for sale on.

Sorry, I'm not going to buy your used SR9c for $500 just because you paid $520 for it. :lol: