• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just ordered Gun #2!

mobiushky

I finally got my order in for our 2nd gun. We wanted to get something everyone in the family could "play" with if you will. So I ordered a Ruger SR22PB. It's a lot like the Walther P22, but with a few things I liked more. Should be able to pick it up next week. The kids are gonna love this little pistol.

Oh and I'm borrowing a friends Ruger 10/22 for the summer. So we're gonna have some plinking fun in a couple weeks.

GTShooter

I have a little 10/22 and love it. Once you start paying $20 for over 500 rounds it will be a PIA to pay more $$ for other ammo.... Congrats on the new pistol.

O2HeN2

My second gun was a Ruger MkII waaaay back when. A .22 is a must have for everyone. A good friend bought it from me years later and he still has it.

O2

Ps. My first gun was a S&W 686, shot it with .38 Specials for a long time. Still remember quite vividly when I lit off my first .357s in it -- was POSITIVE I'd never be comfortable shooting .357s -- my, my how times change :)

Shoobee

I finally got my order in for our 2nd gun. We wanted to get something everyone in the family could "play" with if you will. So I ordered a Ruger SR22PB. It's a lot like the Walther P22, but with a few things I liked more. Should be able to pick it up next week. The kids are gonna love this little pistol.

Oh and I'm borrowing a friends Ruger 10/22 for the summer. So we're gonna have some plinking fun in a couple weeks.

So youre just starting out, that is great.

It would be interesting to know what was your first choice, and why.

I agree with you, that a 22LR is one of the most useful and fun guns to own, and also great for training new shooters as well.

My philosophy is that everyone's #1 gun should be a defense weapon, preferably a handgun, preferably a semi-auto pistol.

Whether you then also need an additional defense weapon is a long debate that can go one of 3 different directions.

But a 22LR is definitely on the list of good acquisitions.

Last edited:

Keens

.22's are great little shooters! I still have my first firearm I purchased when I was 18, a Marlin Model 60.

Congrats on your new purchase!

Keens

mobiushky

So youre just starting out, that is great.

It would be interesting to know what was your first choice, and why.

I agree with you, that a 22LR is one of the most useful and fun guns to own, and also great for training new shooters as well.

My philosophy is that everyone's #1 gun should be a defense weapon, preferably a handgun, preferably a semi-auto pistol.

Whether you then also need an additional defense weapon is a long debate that can go one of 3 different directions.

But a 22LR is definitely on the list of good acquisitions.

Technically I've been shooting for years. But I always shot my parents guns. Then, after I got married, I kind of put it off until just this year. Now with 3 kids between 16 and 9 I decided it was time to get back into it so I could get them involved.

My first gun I purchased in May is a Glock 19. I wanted easy, medium sized, 9mm, and semi-auto. Plus the unbelievable reliability of Glock pretty much sold me. My wife and I both took pistol courses and I've already applied for my concealed carry permit. Been OC since May though and I intend to OC even after I get my CHP.

I used to shoot an old bolt action .22 rifle, but I have no idea what brand. So I'm actually kind of excited about going back to a .22 rifle.

Dilligad316

:eek: 1st and 2nd firearm :eek: Those were the good old day. Congrats on the new addition and hope you enjoy many more. Everybody should have a 22 or 5 we bought one for my daughter when she 2 Months pre-birth and she shoots every chance her and her younger sister get. I have a couple 22 my self one of which is a 10/22 that I keep well stocked up on 22 shells 2000+ (easy to carry large amounts if needed). Again enjoy upon arrival and hope the young ones learn well.

mobiushky

:eek: 1st and 2nd firearm :eek: Those were the good old day. Congrats on the new addition and hope you enjoy many more. Everybody should have a 22 or 5 we bought one for my daughter when she 2 Months pre-birth and she shoots every chance her and her younger sister get. I have a couple 22 my self one of which is a 10/22 that I keep well stocked up on 22 shells 2000+ (easy to carry large amounts if needed). Again enjoy upon arrival and hope the young ones learn well.

I must admit, I'm a little ashamed it took me so long. But oh well. The guy who lent me the 10/22 also gave me about 500 rounds that he wanted to get rid of. I already had 1300 or so. Lol.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I shoot my daughters 10/22 more than she does! :p love that thing, inexpensive and accurate as all get out..

--Rob

Is it a Ruger? That's the one I'm thinking of buying. Question is: Which one? I'm leaning towards model 1151 -- Carbine, black synthetic stock, satin black finish on both the stock and barrel. At $277, I can just barely afford it! I also like the tactical model (1261), as it has rails for a scope.

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

Is it a Ruger? That's the one I'm thinking of buying. Question is: Which one? I'm leaning towards model 1151 -- Carbine, black synthetic stock, satin black finish on both the stock and barrel. At $277, I can just barely afford it! I also like the tactical model (1261), as it has rails for a scope.

I have the same 10/22, except mine has a stainless barrel (discintinued). Amazing little rifle!

--Rob

mobiushky

I'm thinking about getting the digital cammo version from bass pro shops. Just kind of like the fun factor of an all cammo gun for my 9 year old.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have the same 10/22, except mine has a stainless barrel (discintinued). Amazing little rifle!

--Rob

I'm looking forward to seeing it some time!

I'm thinking about getting the digital cammo version from bass pro shops. Just kind of like the fun factor of an all cammo gun for my 9 year old.

I'd be careful about fad colors. My son very much into cammo when he was nine. Just three years later, I asked him just this evening if he'd want a cammo color scheme and he said, "No way!"

Kids go through fads. I'm thinking of either a black matte finish all around, or a nice wood stock with either a stainless or a blued/anodized barrel. Sort of timeless, like the classic .22 LR my father owns.

mobiushky

I'm looking forward to seeing it some time!

I'd be careful about fad colors. My son very much into cammo when he was nine. Just three years later, I asked him just this evening if he'd want a cammo color scheme and he said, "No way!"

Kids go through fads. I'm thinking of either a black matte finish all around, or a nice wood stock with either a stainless or a blued/anodized barrel. Sort of timeless, like the classic .22 LR my father owns.

I get your point, but we're not exactly what you might call "timeless" or "classic" lovers. I'm not really a big fan of old wood and nostalgic style. Our family likes modern techy styles. I prefer polymer frames to steel. I know, we're weird but it is what it is. I could probably go for the black on black synthetic stock. But the digital camo is more for me than for him... LOL!:lol:

Bellum_Intus

I get your point, but we're not exactly what you might call "timeless" or "classic" lovers. I'm not really a big fan of old wood and nostalgic style. Our family likes modern techy styles. I prefer polymer frames to steel. I know, we're weird but it is what it is. I could probably go for the black on black synthetic stock. But the digital camo is more for me than for him... LOL!:lol:

There's always Duracoat :p

--Rob

since9

Campaign Veteran
Duracoat info

Here's some more information on Duracoat.

The reason I'm looking into it is I have a couple of metal pieces at my folk's house that are outside and exposed to the elements. They keep rusting, so it's time to sandblast them again, only this time I'm going to use Duracoat.