• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma Association of Municipal Attorneys and OKOCA

hrdware

OAMA is the group of City Attorneys and law firms that represent cities and towns in Oklahoma. I was contacted by one of their members who is doing a presentation for them about open carry at their annual conference in September. Met with him and had a great discussion about things that could be potential problems for cities.

Some topics of discussion included:
- 4A violations for checking permits absent RAS of a crime
- Officers trying to impose their will under color of law
- A reminder that officers generally can not trespass someone, the business owner or agent has to do that
- If you ask to see my permit and I then inform you I am carrying a firearm, I am not being a jerk, simply notifying you since I am being detained
- Suggested he look at the FBI report on violent encounters
- New law will allow unlicensed persons to carry any rifle, pistol, or shotgun on their own property
- New law will allow people from AZ, WY, AK, and VT to carry on their drivers license since they are not required to have a permit in their home state
- People will record encounters
- Dispatchers should be the first line of defense
- If an officer does respond, they don't have to make contact...they can just observe

Looking forward to seeing the paper when he is done with it and working with them so that not only LEO knows where the LAC is coming from, but also the city attorneys. Hopefully the city attorneys will pass this information on to their city managers and city council as well.

mlr

I hope when he get the paper written up you can post a full copy of it on here.

Michael

KBCraig

- Officers trying to impose their will under color of law
- A reminder that officers generally can not trespass someone, the business owner or agent has to do that
These two items are already huge problems anywhere that police work private security details outside their regular jobs. The officer can either be a police officer, or he can be an agent for the owner, but he can't be both at the same time.