Thread: Technical ? on shoulder holster & law

Technical ? on shoulder holster & law

Just curious if anyone has experience with this subject...

I have a shoulder holster. It's the kind that hooks to your belt, and goes around the back of your shoulders. It has the actual holster at the 9 o'clock position (attaches to your belt at 3 & 9).

So, my question is this.... If you are OC with this type of holster can it be considered concealed or partially concealed because your left arm may potentially get in the way of full view of the handgun? Just curious...thanks!

Either the butt or muzzle end will be visable, so it is not concealed under the generally accepted definition anymore than an IWB would be where only the grip is showing. OC is legal in COS, but it makes sense to cover your bets with a CCW in any circumstance, imo.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    Just curious if anyone has experience with this subject...

I have a shoulder holster. It's the kind that hooks to your belt, and goes around the back of your shoulders. It has the actual holster at the 9 o'clock position (attaches to your belt at 3 & 9).

So, my question is this.... If you are OC with this type of holster can it be considered concealed or partially concealed because your left arm may potentially get in the way of full view of the handgun? Just curious...thanks!
    No, that's not concealed.

Hopefully you got the one that carries your firearm vertically, so you are not muzzeling everyone behing you?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    No, that's not concealed.

Hopefully you got the one that carries your firearm vertically, so you are not muzzeling everyone behing you?

Thanks for the replies folks!

And yes, my shoulder holster is the type that holds the weapon vertically so the muzzle is always pointing at the ground. It's an old holster I have from back in the day. I've had a difficult time finding a paddle holster locally for my Hi-Point .45 as this is my preferred type of holster. I just ordered one off Amazon so it should be here in a few days. In the mean time I'll just use my shoulder holster.

The definition of concealed is a firearm carried in such a way that it is not easily identifiable to the casual observer.

I would think that carrying in a shoulder holster does not meet this definition regardless if your arm may cover the entire weapon here and there.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I would think that carrying in a shoulder holster does not meet this definition regardless if your arm may cover the entire weapon here and there.
    Howdy!
    Just as the fact of a firearm holstered at the 3 or 9 o'clock position may be covered somewhat by your lower forearm when carried in a holster on the hip, the shoulder holster positions the pistol just a little bit higher up on the torso, but you can pretty well take a wild guess and say that people won't have much trouble seeing you have a handgun. Even when your arms are folded, there' still gonna be plenty of handgun exposed to casual observation. This doesn't mean there won't be dorks in society at large that might think it is some sort of growth that should be surgically removed. Or an encounter with an LEO resulting from a well meaning, but unsettled citizen, calling a MWAG on ya.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

On occasion I carry my firearm in its holster to or from my car, but with the holster tucked under my left arm (i.e. when I'm not wearing it). I do this because I don't want to take the time to put the holster on but I want it readily accessible.

One could easily argue that because much of the firearm is covered and not readily apparent or easily recognizable as a firearm, it is technically concealed.

However, I don't care, as I have my CHP.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

However, I don't care, as I have my CHP.
    Traitor!!!!!!!
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12