• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Technical ? on shoulder holster & law

Scotsman

Just curious if anyone has experience with this subject...

I have a shoulder holster. It's the kind that hooks to your belt, and goes around the back of your shoulders. It has the actual holster at the 9 o'clock position (attaches to your belt at 3 & 9).

So, my question is this.... If you are OC with this type of holster can it be considered concealed or partially concealed because your left arm may potentially get in the way of full view of the handgun? Just curious...thanks!

Gunslinger

Either the butt or muzzle end will be visable, so it is not concealed under the generally accepted definition anymore than an IWB would be where only the grip is showing. OC is legal in COS, but it makes sense to cover your bets with a CCW in any circumstance, imo.

JamesB

Just curious if anyone has experience with this subject...

I have a shoulder holster. It's the kind that hooks to your belt, and goes around the back of your shoulders. It has the actual holster at the 9 o'clock position (attaches to your belt at 3 & 9).

So, my question is this.... If you are OC with this type of holster can it be considered concealed or partially concealed because your left arm may potentially get in the way of full view of the handgun? Just curious...thanks!

No, that's not concealed.

Hopefully you got the one that carries your firearm vertically, so you are not muzzeling everyone behing you?

Scotsman

No, that's not concealed.

Hopefully you got the one that carries your firearm vertically, so you are not muzzeling everyone behing you?

Thanks for the replies folks!

And yes, my shoulder holster is the type that holds the weapon vertically so the muzzle is always pointing at the ground. It's an old holster I have from back in the day. I've had a difficult time finding a paddle holster locally for my Hi-Point .45 as this is my preferred type of holster. I just ordered one off Amazon so it should be here in a few days. In the mean time I'll just use my shoulder holster.

Beau

The definition of concealed is a firearm carried in such a way that it is not easily identifiable to the casual observer.

I would think that carrying in a shoulder holster does not meet this definition regardless if your arm may cover the entire weapon here and there.

M-Taliesin

I would think that carrying in a shoulder holster does not meet this definition regardless if your arm may cover the entire weapon here and there.

Howdy!
Just as the fact of a firearm holstered at the 3 or 9 o'clock position may be covered somewhat by your lower forearm when carried in a holster on the hip, the shoulder holster positions the pistol just a little bit higher up on the torso, but you can pretty well take a wild guess and say that people won't have much trouble seeing you have a handgun. Even when your arms are folded, there' still gonna be plenty of handgun exposed to casual observation. This doesn't mean there won't be dorks in society at large that might think it is some sort of growth that should be surgically removed. Or an encounter with an LEO resulting from a well meaning, but unsettled citizen, calling a MWAG on ya.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
On occasion I carry my firearm in its holster to or from my car, but with the holster tucked under my left arm (i.e. when I'm not wearing it). I do this because I don't want to take the time to put the holster on but I want it readily accessible.

One could easily argue that because much of the firearm is covered and not readily apparent or easily recognizable as a firearm, it is technically concealed.

However, I don't care, as I have my CHP. :)