• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Jackson Lake State Park

GTShooter

Went out with family and friends to this park to Celebrate 4th of July. As i was paying for my daily pass I asked the person in the station what their policy was regarding OC in the park. She asked me to go into the Visitor Center so I could talk to the ranger. Went over and the Ranger was pretty cool. He said that he could not tell me not to carry because it was my right to do so, but he would prefer if I CC. I told him I dont have a CC permit so Ill just try to keep a low profile. He told me it was just because of the "fear factor" and he was sure he would be getting all kinds of calls from other people in the park. But again I had the right to OC in the park. He asked me for my name and what model vehicle I was driving just for his records he sayd, I dont really worry about giving out my name or info to a State Park Ranger if that will make things smoother.

We also spoke about the good fishing spots in the lake and what bait had been working before heading out of the visitors Center. Glad to say no one in the park freak out over the handgun on my side. I could see people taking a look at it but that was pretty much it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Went out with family and friends to this park to Celebrate 4th of July. As i was paying for my daily pass I asked the person in the station what their policy was regarding OC in the park. She asked me to go into the Visitor Center so I could talk to the ranger. Went over and the Ranger was pretty cool. He said that he could not tell me not to carry because it was my right to do so, but he would prefer if I CC. I told him I dont have a CC permit so Ill just try to keep a low profile. He told me it was just because of the "fear factor" and he was sure he would be getting all kinds of calls from other people in the park. But again I had the right to OC in the park. He asked me for my name and what model vehicle I was driving just for his records he sayd, I dont really worry about giving out my name or info to a State Park Ranger if that will make things smoother.

We also spoke about the good fishing spots in the lake and what bait had been working before heading out of the visitors Center. Glad to say no one in the park freak out over the handgun on my side. I could see people taking a look at it but that was pretty much it.

I'm not one to pull the privacy card with a law enforcement officer, but when he asked you for what model vehicle you're driving, he went to it, copied your plates, and ran them. So now, "just for his records," he knows your full name, DOB, SSN, address, and probably what time you take a shower in the morning.

My way of diverting that would have been: "He said that he could not tell me not to carry because it was my right to do so, but he would prefer if I CC." I'd have told him, "Thanks, but I prefer open carry -- criminals don't open carry." That usually stops that line of inquiry.

GTShooter

So are they adding people that open carry to a "list" or is it not giving out your name and info out of principal?

twoskinsonemanns

I won't speak for anyone else or poo-poo your choice. But why should we propagate the idea that a citizen legally carrying a firearm should be treated special and suspicious. "Smoothing" things over is not a good enough reason for me personally to give up my "papers" and allow this person to track or record my actions. "Just for my records?" WTF is that supposed to mean? Why should my actions be recorded? Absolutely not.
Again no offense to you. But I'm not giving up my name and certainly not my vehicle information. No no no.

GTShooter

NO offense taken what so ever. As I mentioned Im new to OC. Your point makes a lot of sense.