• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campbell Co Website in error concerning fingerprinting

half_life1052

Campbell County still had the fingerprinting requirement up on their website whereas it concerns CHP applications. I have made contact with them and they say that they will correct it in the coming days. They also have another weird requirement. You pick up the application and fill it out. You then take it back to the clerk of courts to get it certified and pay your fees. You then must carry it over to the Sheriffs' department for processing. Failure to deliver it to the Sheriff within 30 days of it being certified by the clerk means it is void and you must start over. Is this even legal?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Campbell County still had the fingerprinting requirement up on their website whereas it concerns CHP applications. I have made contact with them and they say that they will correct it in the coming days. They also have another weird requirement. You pick up the application and fill it out. You then take it back to the clerk of courts to get it certified and pay your fees. You then must carry it over to the Sheriffs' department for processing. Failure to deliver it to the Sheriff within 30 days of it being certified by the clerk means it is void and you must start over. Is this even legal?

Uh, no.

The statute is your friend:

D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths and shall be made only on a form prescribed by the Department of State Police, in consultation with the Supreme Court, requiring only that information necessary to determine eligibility for the permit. No information or documentation other than that which is allowed on the application in accordance with this subsection may be requested or required by the clerk or the court. The clerk shall enter on the application the date on which the application and all other information required to be submitted by the applicant is received. The court shall consult with either the sheriff or police department of the county or city and receive a report from the Central Criminal Records Exchange...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

You need to take it up with the clerk in writing. There is nothing in the statute that voids your application if you don't convey it to the sheriff. Basically the clerk or judge is making it up as he goes along.

half_life1052

I suspect that the question about what this has to do with open carry or what this has to do with me personally will come up. Let me answer those questions preemptively. I look at it as a tactical situation. Our rights are being eroded constantly in small ways. The Israelis occupy ground that is not theirs to ultimately protect what is theirs. Just because the instant case involves interests more suited to a CHP'er in a bordering county does not mean I should look the other way. What might come next if I were to leave this one alone? Ignore state preemption and start enforcing their own rules? Antagonistic behavior towards open carry? Maybe. I say make them toe the line on all the rules not just the ones that most benefit me.

TFred

The two part process you describe is almost exactly the same thing that is currently before the Supreme Court of Virginia, where one of our other forum members has filed a Petition for Writ of Mandamus against the Roanoke County Clerk of the Court for requiring a similar procedure to be followed.

See this post in the thread for the details. We are all waiting to see what the Supreme Court of Virginia does to force them to do their job properly.

To our legal experts, with this discovery that another clerk is doing the same thing, should any further steps be taken with the Roanoke case?

TFred

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Unlike Roanoke County, Campbell County has been swift and courteous to fix the issues I've identified to them where they were in violation of state law. I can take care of this issue half_life or you can if you'd like the experience. If the clerk is as professional behaving as the others I've dealt with simply mentioning the issue along with some background should get things squared away in quick order.

Last edited:

half_life1052

Unlike Roanoke County, Campbell County has been swift and courteous to fix the issues I've identified to them where they were in violation of state law. I can take care of this issue half_life or you can if you'd like the experience. If the clerk is as professional behaving as the others I've dealt with simply mentioning the issue along with some background should get things squared away in quick order.
So far I have been in contact with the Sheriffs' department since they seem to be responsible for maintaining the website. As you said, they seem to be professional. I think that I can handle it. I am just acknowledging that if push comes to shove I don't have legal standing to push this beyond polite conversation. Tactically speaking, do you think it would be enough to point out the current case before the Supreme Court?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
IF you have issue we can deal with it at that time. Campbell County is an entity of the Commonwealth of Virginia and you are a resident of Virginia, so standing shouldn't be an issue. The Supreme Court of Virginia is the court that would handle the issue, so I think a separate complaint from Roanoke would be in order. I doubt it will come to that though.

TFred

So far I have been in contact with the Sheriffs' department since they seem to be responsible for maintaining the website. As you said, they seem to be professional. I think that I can handle it. I am just acknowledging that if push comes to shove I don't have legal standing to push this beyond polite conversation. Tactically speaking, do you think it would be enough to point out the current case before the Supreme Court?
That's an interesting idea. Perhaps if they resist changing their procedures, providing them with a courtesy copy of the document could open a few eyes.

Still wondering what our legal folks would think about that of course.

TFred

love4guns

That's an interesting idea. Perhaps if they resist changing their procedures, providing them with a courtesy copy of the document could open a few eyes.

Still wondering what our legal folks would think about that of course.

TFred

I'm applying for my chp in Campbell County this Friday.....I"ll keep you posted

GoldDot

Interesting to read about this. My father resides in Campbell County, and when he applied for CHP was obliged to visit the clerk of the "circus" court, pay the required fees, fill out the proper paperwork, and then visit the sheriff's office with said paperwork to be fingerprinted (this was a few years ago). He received his CHP on the 45th day.

Now here in Lynchburg, one visit to the clerk with proper paperwork does it all. I received my initial CHP in two weeks, and I recently renewed my CHP and it was mailed to me in eight days. That's the way it should be.

Snazuolu

I'm in bedford co and i had to do the same running back and forth. apparently they dont get too many because mine was shipped to me within a week after returning everything to the clerk.