Thread: Marysville police response time

Marysville police response time

So My front license had fallen off during a storm a while back. I went to the Licensing department and got new plates. They cost 32$. I then proceeded to go to Subway on 92nd and State Ave. As I was leaving Subway, I got into a vehicular accident. I back out of the road and pulled back into the Subway parking lot. I immediately called 911 to report the accident. While I was making sure the people in the other car were ok and talking to the operator, a man was on his phone as well. he looked at me and said on the phone oh an officer is already on scene. I looked at him and told him I'm not a cop, just an armed citizen. I'm the driver from the other car. He didn't have anything to say to that.

meanwhile while waiting for the police, the ambulance came by and left when none of us wanted to go to the hospital. 30 min later still no police and the lady called them again. 45min later same thing. Finally a little over an hour later 1 police officer calls me on the phone and tells me he's on the way. He gets there shortly after. When I handed him my information he finally noticed my OC and din't say one word about it. Didn't mention or stare once the whole time. He took about 5 min to do a police report and info swap and then left. No one was cited. After he left he called my insurance and set up to have my car towed and get a ride. That was another 45min wait.

So I'm upset it took so long for the police to respond, but happy with his performance once he got there. They kind of cancel each other out though. It's a good example why to carry though. He claims they took so long because there was a murder earlier, and other emergencies.

I want to thank FMJ911 for giving me ride to the tow lot to get something out of my car and for taking me home. It was good meeting your sister.

If I'm not mistaken, if there are no injuries, there really is not requirement that Police investigate an accident. As long as you file the necessary accident report, along with proof of insurance, if the damage exceeds the threshold, you're good to go. It's been a long time since I've had an accident but the last time I did, essentially all the Police Officer did was to facilitate the exchange of information. If the other person is cooperative no need for the Police.

Just don't forget to file the accident report if damage limit is exceeded.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, if there are no injuries, there really is not requirement that Police investigate an accident. As long as you file the necessary accident report, along with proof of insurance, if the damage exceeds the threshold, you're good to go. It's been a long time since I've had an accident but the last time I did, essentially all the Police Officer did was to facilitate the exchange of information. If the other person is cooperative no need for the Police.

The reason I called them is because I did not know if there were injuries at the time. Also I wanted the police report because insurance companies are easier to deal with when there is a police report. Also I'm pretty sure my car is going to be totaled by the insurance company, so there was a lot of damage.

Smile

+1

Non enjury accident, call 911 to report such and then calll your insurance. Chances are your. Claims adjuster will arrive first. Once your paperwork is squared, you should be good to go. You are no longer simply 'leaving the scene of an accident'.
    "...our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties."
    -Sarah Hoyt

"America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    -Claire Wolfe

It's required for a certain dollar value damage. I have not looked into that law for a long time.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I agree with wanting an accident report, but the last accident I was in (amost 20 years ago now), the guy ran the red light and hit us in the intersection..well, actually not the old man (the driver), the owner, his son, was a real piece to deal with...really happy for that accident report, but the police said there was a $300 damage threshhold (remember 20 years ago) before they filed a report. Well, it cost $1500 to fix my car then, so also, don't trust LE to estimate the damages, they are LE not auto body repair people.
    Last edited by hermannr; 07-06-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I agree with wanting an accident report, but the last accident I was in (amost 20 years ago now), the guy ran the red light and hit us in the intersection..well, actually not the old man (the driver), the owner, his son, was a real piece to deal with...really happy for that accident report, but the police said there was a $300 damage threshhold (remember 20 years ago) before they filed a report. Well, it cost $1500 to fix my car then, so also, don't trust LE to estimate the damages, they are LE not auto body repair people.
    He didn't try to estimate the damage. I can guarantee that the damage is 5 grand or more at least. With the mileage and the age of the car they will most likely just total it. I won't know for a few days.

There is no requirement to remain at the scene of an accident until police arrive. There isn't even a requirement to call the police from the scene. All that is required is to identify yourself to the other party involved. The officer can conduct his investigation without you or your car there. He will contact you if need be by phone or personal visit, or when you fulfill your duty to report the accident to police.

To wit: RCW 46.52.020

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    There is no requirement to remain at the scene of an accident until police arrive. There isn't even a requirement to call the police from the scene. All that is required is to identify yourself to the other party involved. The officer can conduct his investigation without you or your car there. He will contact you if need be by phone or personal visit, or when you fulfill your duty to report the accident to police.

To wit: RCW 46.52.020
    I understand this and already stated that I wanted them there. I posted to talk about the response time once I did call. Non injuries or not it's ridiculous that it took over an hour for them to show up.

With all the crimes in and around your area and likely a reduced police force and one complains about an officer did not respond to a non injury accident and that adults can exchange information, go to the PD and file an accident report, take time to think there was likely more urgent calls they are attending to then a small fender bender.
    Note it does not take more then a few seconds to asked, anyone hurt? way less then the length of calling 911 and requesting an officer.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

^Its actually not, you have no way of knowing what they were doing before hand, there are lots of things that come first before a non injury accident. We have had a few situations where we have diverted from a call for a non injury accident with fluids down to an injury accident or reported fire, only to finally get to it and have the people complain that the fire department sucks. They get a "hey, we do this for free, your lucky to get the help at all." Same thing applies to the police, they were tied up.
    Last edited by Crestwood1001; 07-06-2012 at 11:01 PM.

They way they prioritize calls is simple:

1. crimes against persons in progress
    2. crimes against property in progress
    3. crimes against persons occured prior
    4. crimes against property occured prior
    5. everything else - civil issues

Yours falls under number 5. Now, unless you know they weren't dealing with 1 through 4 while you were waiting, you really have no legitimate ethical complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    With all the crimes in and around your area and likely a reduced police force and one complains about an officer did not respond to a non injury accident and that adults can exchange information, go to the PD and file an accident report, take time to think there was likely more urgent calls they are attending to then a small fender bender.
    Note it does not take more then a few seconds to asked, anyone hurt? way less then the length of calling 911 and requesting an officer.
    When he told me about the other emergencies around town I was not so upset anymore. WE did exchange info before he arrived. It also was not a minor fender bender. Like I said my car is most likely totaled and there was debris all over the road. Plus I was asking if they were ok as I was dialing 911. Also when I originally call her car was stuck in the road and blocking traffic when I called. She did eventually manage to get it started and was able to move it safely into the parking lot.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
    ^Its actually not, you have no way of knowing what they were doing before hand, there are lots of things that come first before a non injury accident. We have had a few situations where we have diverted from a call for a non injury accident with fluids down to an injury accident or reported fire, only to finally get to it and have the people complain that the fire department sucks. They get a "hey, we do this for free, your lucky to get the help at all." Same thing applies to the police, they were tied up.
    For free? Really?.......
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    For free? Really?.......
    Yea, that must explain the $849 bill I got from the city of Bellevue when they sent an aid car to my accident. To be fair, the $49 part of that was "mileage" to take me across the street to Overlake Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    Yea, that must explain the $849 bill I got from the city of Bellevue when they sent an aid car to my accident. To be fair, the $49 part of that was "mileage" to take me across the street to Overlake Hospital.
    Does that mean I can deduct $49 dollars a mile for my work driving off my taxes......

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    For free? Really?.......
    Yep, I'm a VOLUNTEER fire fighter. I VOLUNTEER MY free time to help people in these situations. We do no third party billing, but I believe we should. It's becoming far to hard to keep and maintain equipment in this economy and it's extremely difficult to get new members. A lot of places are going paid and doing third party billing because of that, that's how it is.... There's nothing anyone can do about it

Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
    Yep, I'm a VOLUNTEER fire fighter. I VOLUNTEER MY free time to help people in these situations. We do no third party billing, but I believe we should. It's becoming far to hard to keep and maintain equipment in this economy and it's extremely difficult to get new members. A lot of places are going paid and doing third party billing because of that, that's how it is.... There's nothing anyone can do about it
    Well that does clarify it a bit. I have heard others talk about "freebies" like public education, and help from public departments that are nothing close to free.

Is it also getting more difficult because of more and more restrictions and requirements? Maybe pressures put on volunteer departments by union departments?

Quote Originally Posted by SigGuy23 View Post
    Like I said my car is most likely totaled and there was debris all over the road.
    Actually, the debris removal is the responsibility of those involved in the accident, not the police or fire dept. That's why, when the tow truck shows up, he charges for all the time it takes to pick up/sweep up.

Frankly, I would like to see police stop responding to traffic accidents. This is a job that could be handled by a far less trained, and expensive, job description. Some cities have Traffic Investigators that do nothing but respond to traffic accidents. No guns, no expensive patrol cars, far less equipment, just a camera, computer, and pad/pen. Let the Police respond to calls of a criminal nature. The only reason we have them doing it today is because "that's the way it's always been".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"