Thread: Unlawful Discharge of a Firearm

Unlawful Discharge of a Firearm

Just found this link, http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15...iring-gun.html, on The Gun Wire. Can someone explain what actions can result in a charge of Unlawful Discharge of a Firearm? Is it a state statute offense or local?

Unable to type into google huh?

Sec. 53-203. Unlawful discharge of firearms. Any person who intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharges any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property shall be fined not more than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than three months or both.

After reading that article I think the prosecutor will have a hard time prosecuting that charge. There were no witnesses to state they saw him "intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharging any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property". They do not say they found any property damage or dead/injured domestic animals nor were any people being reported in the area as eyewitnesses, so I am guessing if this guy fights it he walks, he may need to get a good attorney so that he does not get railroaded in court. The only caveat to this is if Wilton has an ordinance regarding the discharge of firearms within their town.
    Member: NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry and MRPC
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sec. 53-203. Unlawful discharge of firearms. Any person who intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharges any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property shall be fined not more than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than three months or both.
    Yeah, Google-fu is weak. I forget that CT does a pretty good job of making statutes available on-line. Thanks for the help.

If he admitting to firing into the air, perhaps that would constitute negligence. It doesn't state that he did, just speculation. All I'm saying is that it's possible he said something else to incriminate himself. On the other hand, if they cannot prove he fired in an unsafe direction that would likely cause harm, I think he could beat the charges.

Years ago, I was shooting on a friend's property with permission and a local LEO showed up to investigate a report of gunshots. He basically asked which direction we were shooting and after we replied, he looked around and said "OK, have a nice day, be safe. Keep it in that direction." There was no ordinance in that town regarding discharge though.
    America, where freedom* reigns.

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit417 View Post
    "OK, have a nice day, be safe. Keep it in that direction."
    You on Trinity Street in Hartford ... shooting in the direction of the capitol?

Wilton does have an ordinance about recreational shooting. You can hunt but as I understand it you cant target practice.