• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unlawful Discharge of a Firearm

davidmcbeth

Banned
Unable to type into google huh?

Sec. 53-203. Unlawful discharge of firearms. Any person who intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharges any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property shall be fined not more than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than three months or both.

brk913

After reading that article I think the prosecutor will have a hard time prosecuting that charge. There were no witnesses to state they saw him "intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharging any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property". They do not say they found any property damage or dead/injured domestic animals nor were any people being reported in the area as eyewitnesses, so I am guessing if this guy fights it he walks, he may need to get a good attorney so that he does not get railroaded in court. The only caveat to this is if Wilton has an ordinance regarding the discharge of firearms within their town.

Skinnedknuckles

Sec. 53-203. Unlawful discharge of firearms. Any person who intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharges any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property shall be fined not more than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than three months or both.

Yeah, Google-fu is weak. I forget that CT does a pretty good job of making statutes available on-line. Thanks for the help.

Freiheit417

If he admitting to firing into the air, perhaps that would constitute negligence. It doesn't state that he did, just speculation. All I'm saying is that it's possible he said something else to incriminate himself. On the other hand, if they cannot prove he fired in an unsafe direction that would likely cause harm, I think he could beat the charges.

Years ago, I was shooting on a friend's property with permission and a local LEO showed up to investigate a report of gunshots. He basically asked which direction we were shooting and after we replied, he looked around and said "OK, have a nice day, be safe. Keep it in that direction." There was no ordinance in that town regarding discharge though.