• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry WITHOUT a recording device?

TFred

IIRC ... elsewhere in this Forum, someone mentioned smart phone apps that can record and upload video/audio to the "cloud" in real time.

This would solve the problem of your digital voice recorder being confiscated during an arrest and "mysteriously" disappearing or being erased prior to its return.
To me, the best implementation of such technology would be a device you carry which continuously records. Then at the press of a very easily and quickly accessible button or command, the device would immediately upload the past XX (user selectable) minutes to a remote storage repository, and from that moment on, until stopped by the user, continue to upload the signal in real-time to that remote repository.

The user would obviously know the amount of previously recorded time that would be sent, so when a situation suddenly develops such that the recording needs to be saved, they have that XX amount of time to discretely activate the function.

That would be the best use of technology, saving the entire amount of pertinent data without needlessly wasting the relatively expensive bandwidth to constantly be sending the signal to a remote location. Once you are in the situation you need to be saving the data, the bandwidth is well worth the cost to gain the security of the remote storage.

TFred

pfries

My question for all of you is who OC's and does not use a recording device of any kind? Maybe it is me being new but I just do not feel paranoid enough to record my whole day every day.

I OC daily with the exception of work where I CC upon request of the owner. I do not carry a recording device although I can see the benefit of it. To point I have not had a need for a recording but that is not to say I will never have a need. Definitely food for thought.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
After reading this and other posts about recorders I think it is an investment I need to make.

I do have some questions,
Auto record or just continuous record?
File format, important or not? (I'm thinking that being able to transfer the file would be a good thing)
Any brands/models I should stay away from?

And is there anything else I should add to a check list when I go shopping?
20hrs plus recording time
20hrs plus battery life (while recording)
USB charger

Thanks any advice or opinions will be helpful
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICD-UX512-Memory-Digital-Recorder/dp/B004M8ST4U

Fallschirjmäger

I carry the Sony PX312 because 'black goes with everything', right?

I don't turn it on as soon as I go out the door, but I do as soon as I've arrived somewhere, if an hour (or a couple hours) goes by during which nothing worthwhile has happened I'll hit the delete button. Listening through 20-30 minutes of heavy breathing to catch the moment an incident started just darn gets old.
I haven't tried the VOX mode yet, but that's probably in the near future when I play with the unit's sensitivity.

There's a 42 U.S.C. § 1983 lawsuit in the works that's ONLY possible due to the presence of a recording which captured the entire incident. Without that impartial witness, the only thing the jury would have to gauge the truth with would be the statements of the officers and the original complainant.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Very fond of my Sony unit. Comes complete with software and cables to download to PC, has one button "mark the spot" to aid in finding that SHTF moment, excellent noise cancelling, extremely good fidelity even when carried in my pants pocket.

Have left the unit one continuously all night and still had over 50% of battery life in the morning - always carry an extra set of batteries though. My old Panasonic still provides effective backup.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...1&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=ICDPX312

gearup

Well after hearing all the opinions I drug an old RCA recorder I got a few years back out of the night stand and might carry it a few times and see how comfortable I am with it.

scott58dh

Very fond of my Sony unit. Comes complete with software and cables to download to PC, has one button "mark the spot" to aid in finding that SHTF moment, excellent noise cancelling, extremely good fidelity even when carried in my pants pocket.

Have left the unit one continuously all night and still had over 50% of battery life in the morning - always carry an extra set of batteries though. My old Panasonic still provides effective backup.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...1&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=ICDPX312

I have a question GS.

if a LEO encounter occurred, & the issue went to a legal proceeding, which would be more effective for pleading *YOUR* case,

a *Voice* recording of said event ,,,OR,,, a *Video* recording of said event ?

IMHO, I believe a *Video* would be much more effective, because, as *THEY* say," A Picture is worth a thousand Words."

What's your take on it ?

scouser

in my opinion, the most effective would be the one you have. Not everyone has a video recorder running the whole time they are out of their home, but many of us have an audio recorder running from the time we leave our front door until the time we get home again

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
in my opinion, the most effective would be the one you have. Not everyone has a video recorder running the whole time they are out of their home, but many of us have an audio recorder running from the time we leave our front door until the time we get home again

I have to agree with Scouser but to give you a direct answer, audio recordings are admissible as are video. Video gets the nod assuming it has audio also.

So the short answer is video with audio. It's much more difficult to disprove.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a question GS.

if a LEO encounter occurred, & the issue went to a legal proceeding, which would be more effective for pleading *YOUR* case,

a *Voice* recording of said event ,,,OR,,, a *Video* recording of said event ?

IMHO, I believe a *Video* would be much more effective, because, as *THEY* say," A Picture is worth a thousand Words."

What's your take on it ?

I agree that a video w/audio would be superior. Have looked at several units from pen video recorder to those built in eye glasses. As a practical matter, we daily make some compromises and decisions + most of the smaller/cheaper units are short lived.

I frequently am out and about with at least one other local member and see that as solid back-up too. All have at least digital recorders and video capable cell phones.

Personally, I have never had to go to court to rectify a situation and those "encounters" are somewhat infrequent these days.

Then there is the case of our resident "handsome young videographer" who with his professional equipment is hardly a whisper away - he does some truly amazing work. You'll recognize him as Peter Nap here on OCDO.