• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had a....."moment" at my regular Sonic

Torquemaster69

As the title suggests, my friend and I had a little "moment" at the Sonic Drive-in in Security. It was late at night, and I was hanging out with my friend until they closed (They had about 15 minutes until close). As we were talking in the picnic patio area, we both noticed two gentlemen walking up with small backpacks, but something seemed kind of odd about them. One of them stopped by the sign behind me and the other walked through the car "stalls" slowly. I maneuvered in a way so that I could keep my eye on both of them, because like I said before, something was alittle off. While the one was standing next to the Sonic sign I looked at the other man that was walking up and noticed that he caught a glimpse of my pistol on my hip. He then gave an almost imperceptible shake of his head towards his buddy and they both walked off faster than they first walked up. I watched them leave and as they met up with each other, the one that noticed my pistol raised his hand and mimicked holding a gun. My buddy and I looked at each other and he said "I should have you hear more often whenever I close". We both laughed and I said "As long as I get paid in food to be your security guard." Just thought I'd share that with your guys. Mind you.....I never said a word or even made a gesture towards my pistol. I simply watched them

Beau

He must have just decided they weren't going to eat there because there was some crazy guy with a gun. They couldn't have been criminals because everyone knows that if a criminal sees your gun they will just take it from you or shoot you first and then commit their crime.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
Way to go on heeding your hinkey factor. Something was hinkey about them guys, and you picked up on the hinkeyness of the situation.
That "'spidey" sense that something ain't quite shpadoinkle. That's something that can keep you safe, by heeding that sense that something is hinkey in a situation.
Remember that feeling, that sense that peril may be imminent. When it comes along in the future, rely upon it because it is likely to be correct.

Glad everything stayed shpadoinkle, but I'm a bit curious if you noted their appearance. Did you get a good description? Did you note their direction of travel? Was there any vehicle they might have gotten into, etc. etc.

The reason I ask is that your friend may find them coming back, and maybe when you are not there.
The story next time could turn out far differently.

I'm delighted your situation turned out well, and hope you grow to trust that hinkey factor whenever it kicks in.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
He must have just decided they weren't going to eat there because there was some crazy guy with a gun. They couldn't have been criminals because everyone knows that if a criminal sees your gun they will just take it from you or shoot you first and then commit their crime.

:p :lol:

SovereignAxe

We need to put these stories into some sort of collection. It's stuff like this that is the real argument for open carry whenever someone says that they want the element of surprise/think they'll get targeted. Maybe we could create a new forum titled "True Stories of OC Deterrence" or something like that.

It would be great material to have for anyone that's on the fence about OC.

mahkagari

Hold on, missing some info here. Read the OP three times and can't find it. How were the Chicago dogs?

nkunnen

We need to put these stories into some sort of collection. It's stuff like this that is the real argument for open carry whenever someone says that they want the element of surprise/think they'll get targeted. Maybe we could create a new forum titled "True Stories of OC Deterrence" or something like that.

It would be great material to have for anyone that's on the fence about OC.

I wish that opponents to guns or open carry, or even cc would see more of these stories. All they see is the bad things on the news about shootings and such. If the truth about carrying would get out there maybe there would be a lot less people against it.*

since9

Campaign Veteran

Here's a good place: Why Open Carry -- "This topic should be used to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of open carry as both a means of carry and a political statement." Nothing more convincing than real-life stories.

SovereignAxe

Here's a good place: Why Open Carry -- "This topic should be used to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of open carry as both a means of carry and a political statement." Nothing more convincing than real-life stories.

Now the trick is getting anyone to post a story there. I know it's oh so tempting to put it in the corresponding state forum, or even just the OC expericence report threads.