Thread: Ignorance of other gun owners.

Ignorance of other gun owners.

I enjoy the hell out of blogs and video blogs on firearms but just recently two of the blogs I WAS a member of was pushing the typical ignorance against Open Carry and they are pushing the typical myths that scared me for the longest time when I was wanting to learn about open carry. Thank God that I have found this great site. So many people who talk bad about the OC movement have never done so or they get their opine from others on the internet & claim it as their own. I have open carried for years now & I have had both positive and negative comments from others to include police. OC requires a person who is well informed on their state laws & is not afraid to stand up for their rights against the status quo with dealing with police officers & others. Please hit up these videos, the nonsense coming out of their mouths makes my head hurt, just when you think they are going to make a decent point for both sides they then slam open carry.

Open Carry Debate is Lost for Now
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0oC5...ture=g-all-lik

"Firearms" Do you open carry ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XjPr...h_response_rev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t94gp...ture=g-all-lik
    Last edited by zack991; 07-07-2012 at 08:37 AM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

GEEZ Pete in Philly!

"OC is silly until its more normal." How's it gonna be more normal if someone doesn't blaze the trail pardner?
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I'm learning (albeit ever so slowly) that not all gun owners care about the 2nd Amendment, or protecting their gun rights. All too many are willing to patronize anti-rights businesses, conduct business in DC or NYC or Chicago, and conceal or disarm at someone else's whim.

There's still a long way to go.

Campaign Veteran
    I learned about 20 years ago that most so-called "gun-owners" are liberals (most in this forum are as well)...which would explain a lot of which you speak -- PLUS most of the other "values" [sarcasm] they hold.

Consequently, I discovered I have only one thing in common with them: I also own a gun. That's not enough...

As for the issue of ignorance, MOST people -- let alone gun-owners -- are ignorant about SO MANY THINGS nowadays I wouldn't even know where to start on that. ;-)

P.S. I used to live in Fairfax.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 07-07-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I'm learning (albeit ever so slowly) that not all gun owners care about the 2nd Amendment, or protecting their gun rights. All too many are willing to patronize anti-rights businesses, conduct business in DC or NYC or Chicago, and conceal or disarm at someone else's whim.

Couldn't agree more! It's amazing how easily people will buckle. They'll preach " From My Cold, Dead Hands" until they're faced with a little adversity. You're for the 2nd Amendment or you're not. Like the Liberals and the 1st Amendment, if you say something they like, they're all for the 1st, if you say something they don't like, you can't shut them up. They forget all about the 1st Amendment.
    Last edited by hjmoosejaw; 07-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    watch your top knot !

A lot of liberals believe that rules are good as long as they are for other people, or do as I say not as I do.

I'm a hunter. It's funny how there is so much disagreement in the hunting community. You had people that hunted with a long bow complain when the recurve came along. Recurvers complained when the compound came along, compounders complain about crossbows. You have the flintlock users complain about percussion caps. Then percussion caps evolved into in-lines. I say if you buy a license and are allowed to get a deer, you should use whatever is legal, comfortable using, and makes the most humane kill possible.
    watch your top knot !

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    It would be nice if people had more of a live-and-let-live attitude but it is not the society we live in. We all have our views based on what/who we allowed ourselves to be influenced by. Then we feel the other way to live is wrong. We are insanely egotistical to think our view should be forced on everyone else but that is our nature and it's here for the long haul.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I would speak up, but I don't want to offend anyone. People are sensitive and get emotionally upset so easily. I've got my permit, so I can CC until the political climate shifts and people become more accepting of guns.

Blah! It tasted bad to even type those words. In the immortal words J. Wayne, "Like hell I won't!"
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I would speak up, but I don't want to offend anyone. People are sensitive and get emotionally upset so easily. I've got my permit, so I can CC until the political climate shifts and people become more accepting of guns.

Blah! It tasted bad to even type those words. In the immortal words J. Wayne, "Like hell I won't!"
    Can we get chorus of 'kumbaya'?

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Now THAT'S funny!! Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Lets all hold hands and sing the Barney song. C'mon, you know you WANT to.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Expat View Post
    Lets all hold hands and sing the Barney song. C'mon, you know you WANT to.
    There are laws against torturing people! Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by gil223 View Post
    there are laws against torturing people! pax...
    damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    There are laws against torturing people! Pax...
    Only when used as a punishment.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

The "think of the children" anti OCers even infect my dreams. This is how I awoke today. In the dream I was in PA going to a fav little restaurant with my parents, but the place was "not right" and service was being awful. I got upset and had to "time out" by walking around, and decided to walk all the way around the shopping complex and now hotel and go around the back. Once outside I recognized the area to be in Maryland LOL, uh oh, but I assured myself that I was legal, and made sure I was OC, mainly due to it being nearly dark out and everything seemed rather seedy. I finally made my way around the shopping center and to the back and went in by the back door. My parents were gone and now I was upset again, so I asked the waitress where my parents were and she started on me about a bunch of kids and how could I walk around like that? She said something like " you are the closest to the trigger with your hand, and when you were walking along Loch Raven avenue...4 kids...you scared them!". Then I woke up.

This was after a long dream segment where I was in VA OCing happily about and no one cared a lick.

To explain the "time out" and possibly why I have dreams like this, I am a very creative person and have aspergers. Since I started carrying, the "time out" things have gone to 1 I can think of. I am more calm and patient than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    damn!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Only when used as a punishment.
    Don't think that cruel and usual is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post

A lot of hunters think the 2nd Amendment only applies if you are wearing blaze orange.

A local couple whom I've known for about eighteen years are good friends, avid hunters, and fairly serious liberals. The first time they saw me open carrying, their eyes got wide!

Never said anything, though I'm sure they re-checked the local laws.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.