• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ignorance of other gun owners.

zack991

I enjoy the hell out of blogs and video blogs on firearms but just recently two of the blogs I WAS a member of was pushing the typical ignorance against Open Carry and they are pushing the typical myths that scared me for the longest time when I was wanting to learn about open carry. Thank God that I have found this great site. So many people who talk bad about the OC movement have never done so or they get their opine from others on the internet & claim it as their own. I have open carried for years now & I have had both positive and negative comments from others to include police. OC requires a person who is well informed on their state laws & is not afraid to stand up for their rights against the status quo with dealing with police officers & others. Please hit up these videos, the nonsense coming out of their mouths makes my head hurt, just when you think they are going to make a decent point for both sides they then slam open carry.

Open Carry Debate is Lost for Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0oC5l9-gwU&feature=g-all-lik

"Firearms" Do you open carry ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XjPrauSMCI&feature=watch_response_rev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t94gp94Rfis&feature=g-all-lik

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I'm learning (albeit ever so slowly) that not all gun owners care about the 2nd Amendment, or protecting their gun rights. All too many are willing to patronize anti-rights businesses, conduct business in DC or NYC or Chicago, and conceal or disarm at someone else's whim.

There's still a long way to go.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
I learned about 20 years ago that most so-called "gun-owners" are liberals (most in this forum are as well)...which would explain a lot of which you speak -- PLUS most of the other "values" [sarcasm] they hold.

Consequently, I discovered I have only one thing in common with them: I also own a gun. That's not enough...

As for the issue of ignorance, MOST people -- let alone gun-owners -- are ignorant about SO MANY THINGS nowadays I wouldn't even know where to start on that. ;-)

P.S. I used to live in Fairfax.

Last edited:

hjmoosejaw

I'm learning (albeit ever so slowly) that not all gun owners care about the 2nd Amendment, or protecting their gun rights. All too many are willing to patronize anti-rights businesses, conduct business in DC or NYC or Chicago, and conceal or disarm at someone else's whim.

Couldn't agree more! It's amazing how easily people will buckle. They'll preach " From My Cold, Dead Hands" until they're faced with a little adversity. You're for the 2nd Amendment or you're not. Like the Liberals and the 1st Amendment, if you say something they like, they're all for the 1st, if you say something they don't like, you can't shut them up. They forget all about the 1st Amendment.

Last edited:

hjmoosejaw

I'm a hunter. It's funny how there is so much disagreement in the hunting community. You had people that hunted with a long bow complain when the recurve came along. Recurvers complained when the compound came along, compounders complain about crossbows. You have the flintlock users complain about percussion caps. Then percussion caps evolved into in-lines. I say if you buy a license and are allowed to get a deer, you should use whatever is legal, comfortable using, and makes the most humane kill possible.

twoskinsonemanns

It would be nice if people had more of a live-and-let-live attitude but it is not the society we live in. We all have our views based on what/who we allowed ourselves to be influenced by. Then we feel the other way to live is wrong. We are insanely egotistical to think our view should be forced on everyone else but that is our nature and it's here for the long haul.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would speak up, but I don't want to offend anyone. People are sensitive and get emotionally upset so easily. I've got my permit, so I can CC until the political climate shifts and people become more accepting of guns.

Blah! It tasted bad to even type those words. In the immortal words J. Wayne, "Like hell I won't!"

WalkingWolf

I would speak up, but I don't want to offend anyone. People are sensitive and get emotionally upset so easily. I've got my permit, so I can CC until the political climate shifts and people become more accepting of guns.

Blah! It tasted bad to even type those words. In the immortal words J. Wayne, "Like hell I won't!"

Can we get chorus of 'kumbaya'?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Can we get chorus of 'kumbaya'?

XD40coyote

The "think of the children" anti OCers even infect my dreams. This is how I awoke today. In the dream I was in PA going to a fav little restaurant with my parents, but the place was "not right" and service was being awful. I got upset and had to "time out" by walking around, and decided to walk all the way around the shopping complex and now hotel and go around the back. Once outside I recognized the area to be in Maryland LOL, uh oh, but I assured myself that I was legal, and made sure I was OC, mainly due to it being nearly dark out and everything seemed rather seedy. I finally made my way around the shopping center and to the back and went in by the back door. My parents were gone and now I was upset again, so I asked the waitress where my parents were and she started on me about a bunch of kids and how could I walk around like that? She said something like " you are the closest to the trigger with your hand, and when you were walking along Loch Raven avenue...4 kids...you scared them!". Then I woke up.

This was after a long dream segment where I was in VA OCing happily about and no one cared a lick.

To explain the "time out" and possibly why I have dreams like this, I am a very creative person and have aspergers. Since I started carrying, the "time out" things have gone to 1 I can think of. I am more calm and patient than ever.

DangerClose

A lot of hunters think the 2nd Amendment only applies if you are wearing blaze orange.

since9

Campaign Veteran
A local couple whom I've known for about eighteen years are good friends, avid hunters, and fairly serious liberals. The first time they saw me open carrying, their eyes got wide!

Never said anything, though I'm sure they re-checked the local laws.