Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Horizontal Shoulder Holsters

  1. #1
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403

    Horizontal Shoulder Holsters

    You know I have read a lot about people not wanting to be muzzled by someone in front of them, and then twice this last week it has happened to me and has got me to thinking. People who don't have an issue with someone carrying (wearing) a gun may suddenly act very anti when they discover themselves staring down the barrel of a holstered firearm. I myself own a shoulder holster, but it is the vertical type, and now I am glad that I bought that style. It is very disconcerting to be standing in line at Walmart and find yourself staring down the barrel of someones firearm, or even walking down an aisle at Hobby Lobby and finding the same. Also the one fellow I saw at Hobby Lobby did not even have his shoulder holster fastened at the belt, so the whole rig was kind of "flopping" around, and seems to me that if he had tripped and fallen that he could have very easily lost his shoulder rig.
    I have forgotten where I was going with this so I will leave off here.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  2. #2
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585
    It is something to think about. There are 5hose on here that'll say "it's their right!" And they would be technically correct. I personally feel that how the public reacts to us as representatives of the firearms owners community is important.

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

  3. #3
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    A lot of guys tend to feel differently about this stuff. Unclear where to draw the line..

    A firearm holstered properly and not being handled is not technically or actively being aimed.. IMO that should make "muzzling" a non-issue, just as with walking past a firearm just laying on a table or workbench.

    Whether this is considered safe or not, will likely be debated for years to come and never end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  4. #4
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585
    I think a fairly reasonable argument can be made that if a weapon is under someone's control (ie holstered) and the loaded weapon is pointed at you, that is muzzeling/flagging. Frankly, I've used firearms for a living and hobby for 20 years and I can tell you, I don't appericiate a loaded firearm being pointed at me. It's just a common sense safety issue. You say it isn't an issue because your mechanical safety almost never fails, I say why do you carry in the first place? Because there is a slight chance that something bad may happen. Why trade one risk for another? And don't forget operator error....

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #5
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    What I say may have slight opinion to it. However..

    A holstered firearm with trigger guard is not relying on its mechanical safety mechanism to prevent instantaneous discharge. That would require user intervention or handling. (such as pulling a trigger)

    I have the same feelings you do IMO. Merely pointing out where/how the argument happens. Just as a parked car doesn't wreck itself, a holstered firearm isn't going to do anything either.

    However, holstered or not isn't part of the firearm safety mantra. Simply don't "point" it at things/people. Where-in the argument ensues.. What is "pointed?"

    Edit : the car thing may not be a great example. I've known some brand new vehicles that go up in flames just because, however I'm sure its good enough for the point.
    Last edited by VW_Factor; 07-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    108

    My Take

    It seems this is a "courtesy" issue. Honestly, it's not my job to attend to the emotional fragility of my fellow citizens. That's their problem.

    VW: That's an excellent point. Guns don't just "go off."
    Last edited by marinepilot81; 07-08-2012 at 10:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403
    I understand that guns don't just go off, and that everyone is (mostly) free to carry however they feel like, but am just stating that it was a bit disconcerting looking down a barrel. Also if your going to wear a holster, it really should be properly fastened down not just thrown on.....
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  8. #8
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by MatieA View Post
    I understand that guns don't just go off, and that everyone is (mostly) free to carry however they feel like, but am just stating that it was a bit disconcerting looking down a barrel. Also if your going to wear a holster, it really should be properly fastened down not just thrown on.....
    Actually, guns have been known to just"go off" every once in a very rare while. Also as I said earlier, there is always human error. If the mechanism is worn, dirty, or faulty, it could fail. So now you have to ask yourself, is that worth the risk? Are we not carrying because there is a slight chance we may need to defend ourselves some day? Why add a risk when we are mitigating another?

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    Actually, guns have been known to just"go off" every once in a very rare while. Also as I said earlier, there is always human error. If the mechanism is worn, dirty, or faulty, it could fail. So now you have to ask yourself, is that worth the risk? Are we not carrying because there is a slight chance we may need to defend ourselves some day? Why add a risk when we are mitigating another?
    Sir, this may be the case, but I have not EVER seen this happen. No open bolt machine gun, grenade launcher, M198 155mm howitzer, pistol, or ANYTHING else in my presence has ever "gone off" without the trigger being pulled or the bolt sent home.

    By this logic none of us should carry. Ultimately, we're all carrying around weapons that are worn, dirty, or faulty to some degree, right? The shoulder rig is my preferred method for motorcycle carry because it doesn't dig into my hip. So, yes, there is a "time and place."

    This argument is about what we "feel" and not about fact and reason...or for that matter, tolerance for others in a free society.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Boba Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fair Grove, Missouri
    Posts
    206
    I've looked down the barrel of guns it H-rigs. It doesn't make me nervous. But in any case OC with a shoulder rig looks weird for me cause I'm so skinny, so I don't do it outside of a road trip.
    I would have a 200x15 userbar here, but images are sadly not allowed in signatures.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
    I've looked down the barrel of guns it H-rigs. It doesn't make me nervous. But in any case OC with a shoulder rig looks weird for me cause I'm so skinny, so I don't do it outside of a road trip.
    So that's why you OC! You're compensating! There just isn't anything more free than riding a motorcycle, wearing no helmet, and holstering a 1911 on your shoulder rig. That's how a road trip should be done.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Boba Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fair Grove, Missouri
    Posts
    206
    Sadly I've never ridden a motorcycle. Sounds like a blast though, and definitely a good use for a shoulder holster.
    I would have a 200x15 userbar here, but images are sadly not allowed in signatures.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    Here is my take. I personally don't like having a shoulder holster pointing it's gun at me, but I don't mind a thigh rig when the person sits down, or a gun on someone's back pointing at me. I don't know what it is about the shoulder rig, but I'm just not a fan of having it point a gun at me.

  14. #14
    Regular Member GONZO!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delphi, Indiana
    Posts
    37
    I have a horizontal shoulder holster and as I have stated in other threads, I think there is a repsonsibility to the general public in how we conduct ourselves with our firearms. Just like we ask them to respect our rights to own, and open carry our firearm, we must respect their rights to not have a loaded weapon pointed at them.

    I have explained about "sweeping" the general public with a shoulder holster on this forum and was very surprised to find those who basically gave a "tough crap" style of answer. Or stated that they were never "sweeping" when carrying or even drawing their weapon. I am pro-gun...pro-carry...pro 2A....

    So let me phrase a general question to every in this way...

    Even as a 2A advocate and pro-gun owner and defender...how would you feel holding your newborn baby or grandbaby in your arms in line at Walmart and in front of you is an open carry shoulder holster and the muzzle is only 12" away pointing directly at your baby's face? As pro gun as I am, I would have a HUGE issue with this.

    Now I know that there will be some who respond with, then i would move to another check out line, etc. Yes, thats your right. and while I am not attempting to infringe on the rights of the 2A shoulder holster person in front of me, I still believe that holding a high regard for personal and public responsibility AND discretion should be the 2A person's philosophy. What if the person standing in line behind the 2A shoulder holster person was a anti-gun...or just a anti-carry person? Perhaps this person has had a history of gun violence in their family and (although innocently enough) there is a person in front of them pointing a muzzle directly at them. Do we believe that we are going to be able to have a convincing conversation with this person and win them over to the 2A side? (notice I said 'conversation' and not 'argument').

    Remember the big internet chaos about the blackhawk serpa holster and the video of the guy in texas shooting his own leg...people are still going crazy over this...the edited video which was first emaild around and posted on websites ony showed him shooting himself...only later did everyone see the entire video with the shooter actually confessing that this was NOT an issue of the holster nor of the gun...this was a training issue. Completely his fault. yet, we are STILL in chaos over this issue and people are over-reacting all over the country.

    Now, what if that same guy was in front of you, your wife and children and he reaches for his weapon and does the same thing?!!! With the horizontal shoulder holster the person behind gets shot. yes, this could happen with or without the shoulder holster beign concealed. I am not trying to make this a traiing issue, AD issue or ND issue...The point I am trying to make is that people, regardless of their stance on gun rights, do not like to be looking down the barrel of a loaded weapon and even those mildly accepting of us having and carrying weapons are still fearful of a muzzle because of ADs and NDs.

    I believe we have a legal,moral and ethical responsibility to claim our own rights AND protect those rights of others well. Responsibility and discretion go along way to winning our war with anti-gunners.

    just my two cents....

    GONZO!!!

  15. #15
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by GONZO!!! View Post
    I have a horizontal shoulder holster and as I have stated in other threads, I think there is a repsonsibility to the general public in how we conduct ourselves with our firearms. Just like we ask them to respect our rights to own, and open carry our firearm, we must respect their rights to not have a loaded weapon pointed at them.

    I have explained about "sweeping" the general public with a shoulder holster on this forum and was very surprised to find those who basically gave a "tough crap" style of answer. Or stated that they were never "sweeping" when carrying or even drawing their weapon. I am pro-gun...pro-carry...pro 2A....

    So let me phrase a general question to every in this way...

    Even as a 2A advocate and pro-gun owner and defender...how would you feel holding your newborn baby or grandbaby in your arms in line at Walmart and in front of you is an open carry shoulder holster and the muzzle is only 12" away pointing directly at your baby's face? As pro gun as I am, I would have a HUGE issue with this.

    Now I know that there will be some who respond with, then i would move to another check out line, etc. Yes, thats your right. and while I am not attempting to infringe on the rights of the 2A shoulder holster person in front of me, I still believe that holding a high regard for personal and public responsibility AND discretion should be the 2A person's philosophy. What if the person standing in line behind the 2A shoulder holster person was a anti-gun...or just a anti-carry person? Perhaps this person has had a history of gun violence in their family and (although innocently enough) there is a person in front of them pointing a muzzle directly at them. Do we believe that we are going to be able to have a convincing conversation with this person and win them over to the 2A side? (notice I said 'conversation' and not 'argument').

    Remember the big internet chaos about the blackhawk serpa holster and the video of the guy in texas shooting his own leg...people are still going crazy over this...the edited video which was first emaild around and posted on websites ony showed him shooting himself...only later did everyone see the entire video with the shooter actually confessing that this was NOT an issue of the holster nor of the gun...this was a training issue. Completely his fault. yet, we are STILL in chaos over this issue and people are over-reacting all over the country.

    Now, what if that same guy was in front of you, your wife and children and he reaches for his weapon and does the same thing?!!! With the horizontal shoulder holster the person behind gets shot. yes, this could happen with or without the shoulder holster beign concealed. I am not trying to make this a traiing issue, AD issue or ND issue...The point I am trying to make is that people, regardless of their stance on gun rights, do not like to be looking down the barrel of a loaded weapon and even those mildly accepting of us having and carrying weapons are still fearful of a muzzle because of ADs and NDs.

    I believe we have a legal,moral and ethical responsibility to claim our own rights AND protect those rights of others well. Responsibility and discretion go along way to winning our war with anti-gunners.

    just my two cents....

    GONZO!!!
    Perfect! Exactly what I have been trying to say.

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Livingston Co., Michigan, , USA
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by GONZO!!! View Post
    I have a horizontal shoulder holster and as I have stated in other threads, I think there is a repsonsibility to the general public in how we conduct ourselves with our firearms. Just like we ask them to respect our rights to own, and open carry our firearm, we must respect their rights to not have a loaded weapon pointed at them.

    I have explained about "sweeping" the general public with a shoulder holster on this forum and was very surprised to find those who basically gave a "tough crap" style of answer. Or stated that they were never "sweeping" when carrying or even drawing their weapon. I am pro-gun...pro-carry...pro 2A....

    So let me phrase a general question to every in this way...

    Even as a 2A advocate and pro-gun owner and defender...how would you feel holding your newborn baby or grandbaby in your arms in line at Walmart and in front of you is an open carry shoulder holster and the muzzle is only 12" away pointing directly at your baby's face? As pro gun as I am, I would have a HUGE issue with this.

    Now I know that there will be some who respond with, then i would move to another check out line, etc. Yes, thats your right. and while I am not attempting to infringe on the rights of the 2A shoulder holster person in front of me, I still believe that holding a high regard for personal and public responsibility AND discretion should be the 2A person's philosophy. What if the person standing in line behind the 2A shoulder holster person was a anti-gun...or just a anti-carry person? Perhaps this person has had a history of gun violence in their family and (although innocently enough) there is a person in front of them pointing a muzzle directly at them. Do we believe that we are going to be able to have a convincing conversation with this person and win them over to the 2A side? (notice I said 'conversation' and not 'argument').

    Remember the big internet chaos about the blackhawk serpa holster and the video of the guy in texas shooting his own leg...people are still going crazy over this...the edited video which was first emaild around and posted on websites ony showed him shooting himself...only later did everyone see the entire video with the shooter actually confessing that this was NOT an issue of the holster nor of the gun...this was a training issue. Completely his fault. yet, we are STILL in chaos over this issue and people are over-reacting all over the country.

    Now, what if that same guy was in front of you, your wife and children and he reaches for his weapon and does the same thing?!!! With the horizontal shoulder holster the person behind gets shot. yes, this could happen with or without the shoulder holster beign concealed. I am not trying to make this a traiing issue, AD issue or ND issue...The point I am trying to make is that people, regardless of their stance on gun rights, do not like to be looking down the barrel of a loaded weapon and even those mildly accepting of us having and carrying weapons are still fearful of a muzzle because of ADs and NDs.

    I believe we have a legal,moral and ethical responsibility to claim our own rights AND protect those rights of others well. Responsibility and discretion go along way to winning our war with anti-gunners.

    just my two cents....

    GONZO!!!

    Take into consideration that there has never been a verified case of a gun in a shoulder holster going off without human intervention nor a case of what you fear happening.
    Then consider how many babies die each year in vehicle accidents. yet you drove your baby to that store.
    Now consider how many recorded cases there are of people being struck by lightning TWICE and living yet you take your baby outside.
    Still think your fears are justified ?

  17. #17
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Take into consideration that there has never been a verified case of a gun in a shoulder holster going off without human intervention nor a case of what you fear happening.
    Then consider how many babies die each year in vehicle accidents. yet you drove your baby to that store.
    Now consider how many recorded cases there are of people being struck by lightning TWICE and living yet you take your baby outside.
    Still think your fears are justified ?
    You're just being ignorant. There are plenty of examples of holstered firearms going off. And you can't take the human aspect out of it, the holster is on a human. If you're trying to inflame me by talking about my children, you are going to fail. I keep them as safe as I can and the rest is up to God. The fact remains that by carrying in a horizontal shoulder rig, you ARE flagging everyone behind you. It is rude and not nearly as cool as you think. Your argument smacks of a lack of real world experience, so I would suggest that you step out of your mother's basement and get some. Wearing a shoulder rig, or any kind of holster doesn't make you cool. Especially when the barrel of your piece is pointed directly at someone else. It makes you an *******.

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

  18. #18
    Regular Member Mas49.56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by marinepilot81 View Post
    Sir, this may be the case, but I have not EVER seen this happen. No open bolt machine gun, grenade launcher, M198 155mm howitzer, pistol, or ANYTHING else in my presence has ever "gone off" without the trigger being pulled or the bolt sent home.

    By this logic none of us should carry. Ultimately, we're all carrying around weapons that are worn, dirty, or faulty to some degree, right? The shoulder rig is my preferred method for motorcycle carry because it doesn't dig into my hip. So, yes, there is a "time and place."

    This argument is about what we "feel" and not about fact and reason...or for that matter, tolerance for others in a free society.
    Some girl just got killed from a holstered gun going off from a backwards hug. Sad. I don't see how she was shot in the lung without it being a shoulder holster. Weird.
    http://www.startribune.com/nation/161812115.html

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012
    How is the fact that this young woman was supposedly killed from an AD from an IBW holster relevant to a discussion on shoulder holsters?

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  20. #20
    Regular Member GONZO!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delphi, Indiana
    Posts
    37
    This is not a discussion about ADs or NDs...the point is openly carrying in a horizontal shoulder holster and the perception of innocents behind you as they stare down the muzzle of your gun...IF the argument that a weapon never went off by itself (and I will 99% agree with that - it is always operator error somewhere down the line) ...but IF a weapon never goes off by itself, then it would be perfectly acceptable to take my .45 and aim it directly at your family, correct? NO! NOT CORRECT! And I would never ever do that.

    the issue in this thread is legal, ethical, and moral responsibility for OUR rights AND the rights of others. Once we accept this responsibiility, then the "gun-toting 2A Rambo mentality" is thrown out the window and we begin to, not debate, but inform , share and teach others on the responsibilities of great gun ownership.

    even if my weapon was unloaded and empty of all ammunition, but I was openly carrying in a horizontal shoulder holster I would be conciously violating 3 of the Rules of Gun Safety...

    RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

    RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

    RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

    RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET


    The horizontal shoulder holster is not the cause of bad press and anti-gun sentiment...neither is the weapon...
    the cause for anti-gun AND anti-carry (CC or OC) sentiment is based on OUR responsibility to respect the rights and safety of others.
    We ask, no I take that back...we tend to DEMAND that others respect our rights to legally own and legally carry a firearm yet we do little to instill confidence in the public because we do things like open carry a horizontal shoulder holster and have our muzzles pointing at innocent families.

    It has been a long struggle to get the rights that we have and some of us seem to take them for granted. If one doesnt realize how precious that right is, ask your fellow gun owners in Illinois about their continuing struggle.

    All I am asking is that we use some discretion and that we, going forward, take a higher personal responsibility in our gun ownership and our legal right to carry. Let's set a higher standard.

    GONZO!!!

  21. #21
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by GONZO!!! View Post
    This is not a discussion about ADs or NDs...the point is openly carrying in a horizontal shoulder holster and the perception of innocents behind you as they stare down the muzzle of your gun...IF the argument that a weapon never went off by itself (and I will 99% agree with that - it is always operator error somewhere down the line) ...but IF a weapon never goes off by itself, then it would be perfectly acceptable to take my .45 and aim it directly at your family, correct? NO! NOT CORRECT! And I would never ever do that.

    the issue in this thread is legal, ethical, and moral responsibility for OUR rights AND the rights of others. Once we accept this responsibiility, then the "gun-toting 2A Rambo mentality" is thrown out the window and we begin to, not debate, but inform , share and teach others on the responsibilities of great gun ownership.

    even if my weapon was unloaded and empty of all ammunition, but I was openly carrying in a horizontal shoulder holster I would be conciously violating 3 of the Rules of Gun Safety...

    RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

    RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

    RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

    RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET


    The horizontal shoulder holster is not the cause of bad press and anti-gun sentiment...neither is the weapon...
    the cause for anti-gun AND anti-carry (CC or OC) sentiment is based on OUR responsibility to respect the rights and safety of others.
    We ask, no I take that back...we tend to DEMAND that others respect our rights to legally own and legally carry a firearm yet we do little to instill confidence in the public because we do things like open carry a horizontal shoulder holster and have our muzzles pointing at innocent families.

    It has been a long struggle to get the rights that we have and some of us seem to take them for granted. If one doesnt realize how precious that right is, ask your fellow gun owners in Illinois about their continuing struggle.

    All I am asking is that we use some discretion and that we, going forward, take a higher personal responsibility in our gun ownership and our legal right to carry. Let's set a higher standard.

    GONZO!!!
    Beautifully said Gonzo. +10

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by GONZO!!! View Post
    All I am asking is that we use some discretion and that we, going forward, take a higher personal responsibility in our gun ownership and our legal right to carry. Let's set a higher standard.

    GONZO!!!
    Exactly! This is why you must always remember the pleasantries and let REASON prevail over EMOTION. The very moment you allow emotion to control the debate you surrender any principled stand you make.

    If you appease the emotionally unstable when my shoulder holster is the issue, how do argue when someone says "I'd be more COMFORTABLE if you didn't carry here...or carried that many rounds...or carried that caliber...or carried with one in the chamber"...or pick your standard gun grabber line?

    We preach Liberty...so let's live it. Be patient and tolerant of others until their actions injure your life, liberty, or property.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    487
    I addressed this in another thread a while back, but it hasn't been said in this thread.

    If the horizontal rig is closed on the back, does that make you feel better about it? It does me. I know that the fabric of the holster isn't going to change anything from an AD/ND perspective. It's more about the fact that civvies won't be staring down a barrel.

    I know not everyone feels the same as me on this, but I do make a reasonable effort to not make other people uncomfortable. No, that doesn't include not carrying at all. I do my best to be a goodwill ambassador of OC, and I consider putting the civvies at ease a part of that. You may not, and I respect that. I want to win them over, and you may just want to be left alone. I get it. Just different approaches.

    The point of this post is to say that clearly both approaches are legally valid, reasonably safe, and ultimately up to the individual. But if you read and post here, you are probably at least a closet activist, and you share the common desire of wanting to see OC be considered normal and unremarkable. Just as you probably (hopefully) consider your attire when OC to put forth the best image of an OCer that you can, this falls right into line with that.

    Its your individual call, but I hope to win you over too. :-)

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

  24. #24
    Regular Member Boba Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fair Grove, Missouri
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I addressed this in another thread a while back, but it hasn't been said in this thread.
    The point of this post is to say that clearly both approaches are legally valid, reasonably safe, and ultimately up to the individual. But if you read and post here, you are probably at least a closet activist, and you share the common desire of wanting to see OC be considered normal and unremarkable. Just as you probably (hopefully) consider your attire when OC to put forth the best image of an OCer that you can, this falls right into line with that.
    Bingo

    I've found that attire makes a big difference in perceived responsibility. Even though I haven't been old enough to OC in my state, I've been asked if I'm an LEO at least a dozen times in the last couple years, simply because I sometimes wear polos and tactical pants (and key case, phone, other stuff on my belt). Adults take me seriously and bratty kids avoid me. Presenting a responsible image will get us further in the "public relations" section than anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I addressed this in another thread a while back, but it hasn't been said in this thread. If the horizontal rig is closed on the back, does that make you feel better about it? It does me. I know that the fabric of the holster isn't going to change anything from an AD/ND perspective. It's more about the fact that civvies won't be staring down a barrel.
    I remember that thread haha. And a pretty good proposition.
    Last edited by Boba Fett; 07-20-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    I would have a 200x15 userbar here, but images are sadly not allowed in signatures.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Jay Jacobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    100
    I just ordered a Galco horizontal shoulder rig after giving up on finding a suitable vertical rig for my sidearm. I hate to admit the barrel pointing at someone standing behind me never even crossed my mind until I started reading this thread. Although mine will be used mostly for CC with an over garment at least alleviating the onlooker concern part it, since they won't see it.

    reading further opinions on the subject with interest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •