• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Horizontal Shoulder Holsters

DamonK

This is not a discussion about ADs or NDs...the point is openly carrying in a horizontal shoulder holster and the perception of innocents behind you as they stare down the muzzle of your gun...IF the argument that a weapon never went off by itself (and I will 99% agree with that - it is always operator error somewhere down the line) ...but IF a weapon never goes off by itself, then it would be perfectly acceptable to take my .45 and aim it directly at your family, correct? NO! NOT CORRECT! And I would never ever do that.

the issue in this thread is legal, ethical, and moral responsibility for OUR rights AND the rights of others. Once we accept this responsibiility, then the "gun-toting 2A Rambo mentality" is thrown out the window and we begin to, not debate, but inform , share and teach others on the responsibilities of great gun ownership.

even if my weapon was unloaded and empty of all ammunition, but I was openly carrying in a horizontal shoulder holster I would be conciously violating 3 of the Rules of Gun Safety...

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

The horizontal shoulder holster is not the cause of bad press and anti-gun sentiment...neither is the weapon...
the cause for anti-gun AND anti-carry (CC or OC) sentiment is based on OUR responsibility to respect the rights and safety of others.
We ask, no I take that back...we tend to DEMAND that others respect our rights to legally own and legally carry a firearm yet we do little to instill confidence in the public because we do things like open carry a horizontal shoulder holster and have our muzzles pointing at innocent families.

It has been a long struggle to get the rights that we have and some of us seem to take them for granted. If one doesnt realize how precious that right is, ask your fellow gun owners in Illinois about their continuing struggle.

All I am asking is that we use some discretion and that we, going forward, take a higher personal responsibility in our gun ownership and our legal right to carry. Let's set a higher standard.

GONZO!!!

Beautifully said Gonzo. +10

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

marinepilot81

All I am asking is that we use some discretion and that we, going forward, take a higher personal responsibility in our gun ownership and our legal right to carry. Let's set a higher standard.

GONZO!!!

Exactly! This is why you must always remember the pleasantries and let REASON prevail over EMOTION. The very moment you allow emotion to control the debate you surrender any principled stand you make.

If you appease the emotionally unstable when my shoulder holster is the issue, how do argue when someone says "I'd be more COMFORTABLE if you didn't carry here...or carried that many rounds...or carried that caliber...or carried with one in the chamber"...or pick your standard gun grabber line?

We preach Liberty...so let's live it. Be patient and tolerant of others until their actions injure your life, liberty, or property.

Merlin

I addressed this in another thread a while back, but it hasn't been said in this thread.

If the horizontal rig is closed on the back, does that make you feel better about it? It does me. I know that the fabric of the holster isn't going to change anything from an AD/ND perspective. It's more about the fact that civvies won't be staring down a barrel.

I know not everyone feels the same as me on this, but I do make a reasonable effort to not make other people uncomfortable. No, that doesn't include not carrying at all. I do my best to be a goodwill ambassador of OC, and I consider putting the civvies at ease a part of that. You may not, and I respect that. I want to win them over, and you may just want to be left alone. I get it. Just different approaches.

The point of this post is to say that clearly both approaches are legally valid, reasonably safe, and ultimately up to the individual. But if you read and post here, you are probably at least a closet activist, and you share the common desire of wanting to see OC be considered normal and unremarkable. Just as you probably (hopefully) consider your attire when OC to put forth the best image of an OCer that you can, this falls right into line with that.

Its your individual call, but I hope to win you over too. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Boba Fett

I addressed this in another thread a while back, but it hasn't been said in this thread.
The point of this post is to say that clearly both approaches are legally valid, reasonably safe, and ultimately up to the individual. But if you read and post here, you are probably at least a closet activist, and you share the common desire of wanting to see OC be considered normal and unremarkable. Just as you probably (hopefully) consider your attire when OC to put forth the best image of an OCer that you can, this falls right into line with that.

Bingo :D

I've found that attire makes a big difference in perceived responsibility. Even though I haven't been old enough to OC in my state, I've been asked if I'm an LEO at least a dozen times in the last couple years, simply because I sometimes wear polos and tactical pants (and key case, phone, other stuff on my belt). Adults take me seriously and bratty kids avoid me. Presenting a responsible image will get us further in the "public relations" section than anything.

I addressed this in another thread a while back, but it hasn't been said in this thread. If the horizontal rig is closed on the back, does that make you feel better about it? It does me. I know that the fabric of the holster isn't going to change anything from an AD/ND perspective. It's more about the fact that civvies won't be staring down a barrel.

I remember that thread haha. And a pretty good proposition.

Last edited:

Jay Jacobs

I just ordered a Galco horizontal shoulder rig after giving up on finding a suitable vertical rig for my sidearm. I hate to admit the barrel pointing at someone standing behind me never even crossed my mind until I started reading this thread. Although mine will be used mostly for CC with an over garment at least alleviating the onlooker concern part it, since they won't see it.

reading further opinions on the subject with interest

j4l

Interesting topic, one I hadnt considered before, to be honest.
I originally made my own shoulder-rig for horiz. carry, but altered it to vertical after trying it on/fitting it-due, not to this issue, but the fact that the full-size .45 was too long in overall length to CC with the rig, without the grip-end protruding too far forward.

Good thing to consider though..