• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Army leaks plans - shoot civilians in civil unrest

WalkingWolf

Under to ROE examples I saw I wouldn't have a problem putting a bullet in you if I was in the service.

A mob coalescing on a nuke plant. Trying to break into an armory or steal military weapons. Shooting at me from a disclosed location. Sorry. Bang!

Don't worry though ... I'd only shoot one bullet per trigger pull since auto is against the ROE.

In the below example I would have no problem with the military shooting an anti-tank missile at you.

[video=youtube;pzi2hR0Kt1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzi2hR0Kt1U[/video]

Two problems here, the person was a member of the military, and he was stopped by a police officer. I certainly hope the "you" that was used was not leveled at any LAC here. Because we are not talking about nut cases running loose or even criminals we are talking about troops firing on innocent civilians just because someone orders them to.

So who are you planning on shooting one bullet per trigger pull? Are you an active member of the military?

sharkey

Two problems here, the person was a member of the military, and he was stopped by a police officer. I certainly hope the "you" that was used was not leveled at any LAC here. Because we are not talking about nut cases running loose or even criminals we are talking about troops firing on innocent civilians just because someone orders them to.

So who are you planning on shooting one bullet per trigger pull? Are you an active member of the military?

No, I'm not and never have been military. What I said was I would have no problem with military intervention is a similar scenario. I know it was the police in the video I posted.

Why on earth would I have a problem with with a LAC?

I read the document and there was nothing about shooting innocent civilians. Did you read the article or just the sensational headline?

sharkey

More Hyperbole

I'd also be fine with a military fighter jet downing a passenger jet full of innocent civilians if it would save more lives than cost. Ok, fine is too strong of a word but you get my point.

since9

Campaign Veteran
There seems to be a lot of confusion, particularly about the military. Let's tackle it:

I was at a USPSA shooting match a couple of years ago and struck up a conversation with a Deta soldier. During the conversaton he made a comment that if the POTUS ordered my head on a pike, he would put it there.

Doesn't sound like any of the Delta guys I knew, and I got to know a handful while living in Fayetteville.

I hope I am wrong, but I believe that a good many troops will fire on Americans for no other reason that they are told to.

Having known and worked with a good many troops, both Army soldiers and Air Force airmen, throughout a 20-year career, I believe you're wrong.

Do you have a legit citation that the 82nd Airborne participated in weapons seizures?

They did not.

You livin' in the land of sugar plums, unicorns and flavored rainbows????

Why is it that civilians with little or no military experience assume the worst of the military? To those of us who've been there, done that, these civilians are the ones who appear to be living in the land of sugar plums, et. al.

When I was working at a gun shop/indoor range I had a couple National Guardsmen say "I wouldn't like it but I would do my duty".

Guardsmen have a different oath of enlistment than U.S. military:

Military: "I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Guardsmen: "I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (STATE NAME) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of (STATE NAME) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God."

Not much difference, is there? Both contain a key provision about obeying orders: "according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice" for the Military, and "according to law and regulations" for Guardsmen.

Now let's look as the oath of office for officers in the U.S. Military: "I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

There's nothing about obeying the orders of superior officers, or for that matter, even the Commander in Chief, nor is there anything about the UCMJ in there. What is in there is that the obligation is taken freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion.

My point is that it's an officers duty to question (albeit quietly, to one's self) every order than comes down the pipe. If it passes muster, it's carried out. If it's not legit, it's the officers' duty to bring that to the attention of their superior officer. I've done that on occasion, as have several officers I've known well. I'm quite sure those who I didn't know well have done the same, and I've had my own orders questioned a time or two, and justifiably so.

It's called "mutually accountability," and it's how we help keep one another on the straight and narrow. Sure, there are some mavericks out there who're so gung ho, running along at mach two with their hair on fire that they miss the warning signs and wind up pulling a crash and burn. They usually don't last very long.

I have never met the sort of idiot in the military in the last 10 years of my career that would arbitrarily shoot his own countrymen merely because he's been ordered to.

Neither have I, in my twenty years.

The military is not your enemy, stupidity is.

Thank you! Agreed. :)

How many millions of Chinese thought Mao and their army wouldn't have then killed?
How many Russians thought Stalin and their military wouldn't have them killed?

Some for the people putting bullets in the back of their heads, were fellow neighbors, schoolmates and even family members.

Yes our government is vastly different than communist Russian and China.
However, we share the same human nature.

Hardly. Not only are the cultural difference vastly different, but our militaries are vastly different, as well. Consider the oaths of office I listed above. Theirs are all about unwavering loyalty to one's commander and chain of command. Ours provide a clear UCMJ/regulations/law escape clause for the enlisted, and omit all loyalty/chain of command requirements altogether for our officers. We don't want stupid officers who blindly follow orders. We want officers who can think for themselves.

When a person is told by a higher authority that the people they are ordered to kill in an "enemy of the state" and they see their comrades swallowing this lie, unfortunately human nature has proved to us that all to often its probable a person is going to follow and carry out these orders.

Not in our military, at least not blindly.

There is no doubt in my mind if "assault weapon" owners or people of a certain faith or even certain political view were deemed "homegrown terrorists", the majority of US Military personal, would without question fire on these wrongly labeled individuals.

Twenty years of military experience tells me your perceptions are seriously off-target. Look around these forums -- how many military members are here? Answer: LOTS. The vast majority of people in the U.S. military would not do such a thing because they're one of us. Many of my friends in the military carried off-duty. Most CC'd, but a couple of them OC'd. Nearly everyone I knew in the military was a private gun-owner, and tons were magazine-reading members of the NRA. Very few were die-hard, anti-government, tin-foil-wearing gun nuts. Those who were didn't seem to stay in the military long. Regardless, we all know what we were fighting for: Our Constitution, and the rights and freedoms recognized by it and its amendments. We came from the civilian community. We live among the civilian community. For the vast majority of us, our spouses, kids, pastors, and friends are part of the civilian community. Whether we're discharged or retired, we've returned to the civilian community.

Frankly, the idea of any commander giving an order to fire willy-nilly on civilians is laughably ludicrous. They would follow the ROE, but ONLY if the ROE were legal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or even a lawyer, to know that firing on civilians without just cause is very illegal, and all of us are taught from Day 1 that the excuse "I was just following orders!" doesn't cut it in a courts martial. We are REQUIRED to know what's legal and what's not legal, and if we blindly follow orders, we'll swing right next to the guy giving the orders.

Any more silly notions that our own military is the problem? If anything, they're a bunch of Oath-Keepers who'll wind up being the solution should anyone like Obama or another would-be dictator attempt to subvert our Constitution. Unlike Congress, those of us in the Military have a freaking SPINE.

I'll close with PrayingForWar's comment:

The military is not your enemy, stupidity is.

Amen.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'd also be fine with a military fighter jet downing a passenger jet full of innocent civilians if it would save more lives than cost. Ok, fine is too strong of a word but you get my point.

...the military has queried its DOD soldiers regarding the shooting of US citizens in instances like Katrina, normal protests etc...about 50% said they would do it and another 50% realized it would be an unlawful order and would refuse. Both scary and re-assuring.

I see the rule as like the prime directive in Star Trek ... in the instance of a 9-11 jet attack, one could argue it is no longer a civilian jet as it is being operated (or appears to be operated) by a hostile, foreign party bent on an attack...so that's like Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan (Khaaaan !)

If it is civil unrest from US citizens, I would not care the cost in lives -- the DOD should stay on the sidelines. Its a line DOD should never cross. If US soldiers fired on me, I would have no issues shooting at them.

Of course, I was in SAC ... so I don't value human lives as most people do as my various squadron's missions including those in which it was to vaporize millions of those pesky Russians.... and a few times I really thought it was go time.

In reality, US DOD would be foolish to attack US citizens involved in anything large and widespread... if its militias & citizens v. US military .. I don't see the US military winning. Its a numbers game ... . Before WWII, the Japanese thought about invasion and the main reason why they didn't was not because of our military, it was because of our armed civilian population. No army can beat US citizenry. Thanks to our 2nd amendment. We are G-U-N C-R-A-Z-Y ! Yea !

sharkey

...the military has queried its DOD soldiers regarding the shooting of US citizens in instances like Katrina, normal protests etc...about 50% said they would do it and another 50% realized it would be an unlawful order and would refuse. Both scary and re-assuring.

I'd like a cite on that.

I see the rule as like the prime directive in Star Trek ... in the instance of a 9-11 jet attack, one could argue it is no longer a civilian jet as it is being operated (or appears to be operated) by a hostile, foreign party bent on an attack...so that's like Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan (Khaaaan !)

That was my reasoning but I have to accept your analogy. I don't recall seeing The Wrath of Khan.

If it is civil unrest from US citizens, I would not care the cost in lives -- the DOD should stay on the sidelines. Its a line DOD should never cross. If US soldiers fired on me, I would have no issues shooting at them.

Agreed 99%. If there is a civilian mob trying to overrun a base (not peaceful, going after weapons) gloves are off.

Of course, I was in SAC ... so I don't value human lives as most people do as my various squadron's missions including those in which it was to vaporize millions of those pesky Russians.... and a few times I really thought it was go time.

In reality, US DOD would be foolish to attack US citizens involved in anything large and widespread... if its militias & citizens v. US military .. I don't see the US military winning. Its a numbers game ... . Before WWII, the Japanese thought about invasion and the main reason why they didn't was not because of our military, it was because of our armed civilian population. No army can beat US citizenry. Thanks to our 2nd amendment. We are G-U-N C-R-A-Z-Y ! Yea !

Oh, you think if **** hits the fan it's going to be person on person? Militias will crack when drones start taking them and their families out.

There seems to be a lot of confusion, particularly about the military. Let's tackle it:

Doesn't sound like any of the Delta guys I knew, and I got to know a handful while living in Fayetteville.

Having known and worked with a good many troops, both Army soldiers and Air Force airmen, throughout a 20-year career, I believe you're wrong.

People are people, in any organization. I think you're wrong. I've heard stories ranging from intentional friendly fire (ok, not civilians but still) to unlawful detainment of civilians on public land. Did someone say no to the execution of Anwar al-Awlaki? It's two U.S. civilians (that we know about) to date that have been summarily executed right? I guess there weren't enough people to say no.

They did not.

Why is it that civilians with little or no military experience assume the worst of the military? To those of us who've been there, done that, these civilians are the ones who appear to be living in the land of sugar plums, et. al.

Just because I'm a civilian doesn't mean I haven't been exposed to the real world.

Guardsmen have a different oath of enlistment than U.S. military:

Military: "I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Guardsmen: "I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (STATE NAME) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of (STATE NAME) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God."

Not much difference, is there? Both contain a key provision about obeying orders: "according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice" for the Military, and "according to law and regulations" for Guardsmen.

Now let's look as the oath of office for officers in the U.S. Military: "I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

There's nothing about obeying the orders of superior officers, or for that matter, even the Commander in Chief, nor is there anything about the UCMJ in there. What is in there is that the obligation is taken freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion.

My point is that it's an officers duty to question (albeit quietly, to one's self) every order than comes down the pipe. If it passes muster, it's carried out. If it's not legit, it's the officers' duty to bring that to the attention of their superior officer. I've done that on occasion, as have several officers I've known well. I'm quite sure those who I didn't know well have done the same, and I've had my own orders questioned a time or two, and justifiably so.

It's called "mutually accountability," and it's how we help keep one another on the straight and narrow. Sure, there are some mavericks out there who're so gung ho, running along at mach two with their hair on fire that they miss the warning signs and wind up pulling a crash and burn. They usually don't last very long.

Neither have I, in my twenty years.

Thank you! Agreed. :)

Hardly. Not only are the cultural difference vastly different, but our militaries are vastly different, as well. Consider the oaths of office I listed above. Theirs are all about unwavering loyalty to one's commander and chain of command. Ours provide a clear UCMJ/regulations/law escape clause for the enlisted, and omit all loyalty/chain of command requirements altogether for our officers. We don't want stupid officers who blindly follow orders. We want officers who can think for themselves.

Not in our military, at least not blindly.

Twenty years of military experience tells me your perceptions are seriously off-target. Look around these forums -- how many military members are here? Answer: LOTS. The vast majority of people in the U.S. military would not do such a thing because they're one of us. Many of my friends in the military carried off-duty. Most CC'd, but a couple of them OC'd. Nearly everyone I knew in the military was a private gun-owner, and tons were magazine-reading members of the NRA. Very few were die-hard, anti-government, tin-foil-wearing gun nuts. Those who were didn't seem to stay in the military long. Regardless, we all know what we were fighting for: Our Constitution, and the rights and freedoms recognized by it and its amendments. We came from the civilian community. We live among the civilian community. For the vast majority of us, our spouses, kids, pastors, and friends are part of the civilian community. Whether we're discharged or retired, we've returned to the civilian community.

Frankly, the idea of any commander giving an order to fire willy-nilly on civilians is laughably ludicrous. They would follow the ROE, but ONLY if the ROE were legal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or even a lawyer, to know that firing on civilians without just cause is very illegal, and all of us are taught from Day 1 that the excuse "I was just following orders!" doesn't cut it in a courts martial. We are REQUIRED to know what's legal and what's not legal, and if we blindly follow orders, we'll swing right next to the guy giving the orders.

Any more silly notions that our own military is the problem? If anything, they're a bunch of Oath-Keepers who'll wind up being the solution should anyone like Obama or another would-be dictator attempt to subvert our Constitution. Unlike Congress, those of us in the Military have a freaking SPINE.

I'll close with PrayingForWar's comment:

Amen.

I want to be clear, I support the military. I didn't see anything outrageous in the article other than journalistic sensationalism. I saw nothing about firing on innocents. The only part I would be concerned about is;

(5) The primary rule which governs the actions of federal forces in helping state and local authorities to restore law and order .....

however, the ROE did not seem to authorize lethal force with the exception of self defense. I don't believe the military should be involved in policing .. here or anywhere.

sharkey

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/world/middleeast/25abuse.html

Also, google apache shoots insurgents baited. I can't watch those videos, they make me sick. I saw one once and wished I never had. It showed an apache smoking "insurgents" after they picked up a bait weapon. I have no way to know what their intention was, it could have been to use that weapon against our forces or to take the weapon out of the hands of real insurgents. There was a man who was shot trying to hide under a truck and they continued to shoot him.

I believe he laid down his arms so that could be a Geneva Convention Violation. I'm out of my expertise here but I'll quote part of it.
Art. 3. In the case of armed conflict not of an international character occurring in the territory of one of the High Contracting Parties, each Party to the conflict shall be bound to apply, as a minimum, the following provisions:
(1) Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed hors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria.
To this end, the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to the above-mentioned persons:
(a) violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture;
(b) taking of hostages;
(c) outrages upon personal dignity, in particular humiliating and degrading treatment;
(d) the passing of sentences and the carrying out of executions without previous judgement pronounced by a regularly constituted court, affording all the judicial guarantees which are recognized as indispensable by civilized peoples.
(2) The wounded and sick shall be collected and cared for.
An impartial humanitarian body, such as the International Committee of the Red Cross, may offer its services to the Parties to the conflict.

ETA http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2097899,00.html So that makes 3 U.S. citizens, even though this one is considered collateral damage.

And http://rt.com/usa/news/obama-kill-list-president-695/

OK, I'm done (for now). I think I'm getting obsessed with these drone stories.

Good night.

Last edited:

DangerClose

If the U.S. military fires on civilians as easily and as often as Captain Kirk breaks the Prime Directive, the U.S. is in big trouble. :lol:

jbone

Advance/Start video at time 6:47.

[video=youtube;wxfu_SrDxmU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxfu_SrDxmU&feature=relmfu[/video]

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
If the U.S. military fires on civilians as easily and as often as Captain Kirk breaks the Prime Directive, the U.S. is in big trouble. :lol:

Well, at least Kirk never covered up any such instances ... they were all noted in his personal log ... ;)

Song for Star Trek theme music:

We're 3 guys in space
3 guys in space
looking for space pus**

jbone

Reality beings at 10:01, after the Hollywood clip ends.

Seriously! If you believe Hollywood reflects reality, you're going to have a lot of sleepless nights.

Good grief! Seriously? You must be wound pretty tight to not be able to see the humor presented. I suggest you turn on the boob tube and watch several of the drug prescription ads, then call you doctor when you find one you think will work for you.

WalkingWolf

Good grief! Seriously? You must be wound pretty tight to not be able to see the humor presented. I suggest you turn on the boob tube and watch several of the drug prescription ads, then call you doctor when you find one you think will work for you.

Now that was uncalled for...

jbone

+1

Come on guys how do you expect to be taken seriously.

Your right, we’ve never seen humor injected into forum topics, and never should. We must remain serious at all times, my apologies to all. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, who would have suspected a funny movie clip that reminded me of the topic in a humorous way would stir another.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
OK, I looked at your link and it's unfettered bullscat. The only thing that would make it less credible would be Alex Jones' picture on it. Do you know ANYONE who serves in uniform? Just one person? Do you even occasionally see a stranger in uniform at 7-11?

I guess the stories of National Guard troops during Katrina didn't happen either did it? I believe people have too much faith in our Federal Government these days. Look at all the recent legislation that has been passed and the executive orders flying from beneath Obummer's pen. I'm not saying that every soldier in the service would fire on citizens, but there are certainly those that would. There was a survey conducted with the Marines not long ago and nearly 20% said they would fire on citizens if they fought back during gun confiscation. The government brain washes these men and women, and trains them to be killers (yes, I know many in the service, most regret ever signing up). Also, we are training foreign troops all the time, it sure wouldn't bother them to fire on us, because our government has made it where everyone in the World hates us. Go on Youtube and look up some of the recent videos of the military conducting drills right here in America with actors screaming "We are American, we have rights!" Don't listen to the MSN, research everything for yourself. They are preparing for something, I just hope it isn't what it seems like.

Last edited:

georg jetson

I guess the stories of National Guard troops during Katrina didn't happen either did it? -SNIP-

The Guard was here for YEARS after Katrina. The city has always had a crime problem but, they used post-Katrina crime stats to get the Governor to keep the Guard in New Orleans for a while. Some of these Guardsmen stopped me for a supposed traffic violation. They were very disrespectful little runts who took it upon themselves to find every possible flashlight angle until they could see my firearm partially under the from passenger seat... entered my car, removed the Ruger and I spent the next 20 minutes waiting for them to make sure it wasn't stolen. During this time I was "scolded" for having "illegal" ammunition... scolded by some power tripping little runt 15 years my junior because he thought Black Talon ammunition was illegal to posses. These were very disrespectful arrogant little btards.

The Guard was here for at least one Mardi Gras after Katrina. I spent that particular Mardi Gras in the French Quarter and witnessed the same arrogance and disrespect I see in the NOPD displayed by Guardsmen. I took note specifically that while the NOPD officers were doing most of the "police" work, the Guardsmen were being used for crowd control(keeping people from videoing/witnessing police action).

I can't speak to the issue of whether Guardsmen were involved with the confiscation of weapons. In my case they returned my pistol.

From what I've WITNESSED, I have no reason to doubt that our military can be counted on to enforce the will of our tyrannical government.

My apologies to those on this forum who serve or have served, as I, in the armed forces as no disrespect is intended. I'm not making a general statement about all servicemen and women, just that my experience seems to support the assertion that most will aggressively do as they're told.