• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns don't keep us free ?

Old Virginia Joe

I'm listening to a syndicated AM talk show right now on the radio, and the host stated that in the US, our guns are not keeping us free (as we like to say, the 2A guarantees all the other nine), and in fact, in spite of all the guns we have, our freedom is being constantly denied us in so many ways, and at all levels. He pointed out how in Sadam's Iraq, guns were in the hands of nearly everyone, and yet they were ruled by a ruthless dictator who apparently did not disarm his people, but everyone agrees that in spite of those arms, they were not "free." He said the govt has not disarmed us yet, but that they are nonetheless stripping us of liberty every single day! It seems to me this guy is right. On this July 4th weekend, is there any interest in proving him wrong?

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

There is a very well written story of sorts about the people who were permitted to own guns, but tolerated all other infringements and slavery, because, after all, they still had their guns, and thus the means to rebel if they chose. The government let them keep their guns and the illusion of freedom, but took everything else.

I wish that I could remember who wrote it so I could link to it.

Dreamer

Letting law-abiding citizens in the US keep their guns serves the same purpose as letting them vote in "elections".

It reinforces the illusion that we are free, and that we have some input as to the manner in which this nation is operated--internally and externally.

Anyone with eyes to see and ears to hear knows better.

Most law-abiding Americans are too polite to say what they really think. Most folks have become so isolated from their neighbors and communities by media propaganda and techno-gadget addiction that they don't realize that nearly EVERYONE thinks the same way they do about the creeping tyranny under which we are suffering.

Not until the People stand up en masse, and start engaging in widespread civil disobedience--not following illegal laws, refusing to comply with "administrative policies" that are threatened against them under color of law, and standing up and refusing to participate in their own victimization--will TPTB move to disarm us.

"They" are getting desperate--they see that the "end game" is near, and that the numbers of the "awake" is reaching critical mass. They are moving to abridge the 1A with reckless abandon, and you can bet that the move to abolish the 2A and 4A won't be far behind. They are at their most dangerous point now--realizing that if they slip, the People will not only defeat them but try to eradicate them from the planet. They are like a cornered wild animal--and we the People must keep our wits about us, and not strike until they fully reveal their true bloodthirsty, life-hating, death-worshiping sociopathic nature.

Then and only then will their expungement from the planet be righteous...

Hopefully, "They" won't pull another false flag before a critical mass of people wake up, because when they do--and they WILL--it will mean that thousands (if not millions) of innocents will be sacrificed on their unholy altars, and then they will use that as an excuse to CLAMP DOWN on speech, RKBA and 4A rights--and most people will be in such a state of shock (like after 9-11) that they will gladly go along with it...

Dreamer

There is a very well written story of sorts about the people who were permitted to own guns, but tolerated all other infringements and slavery, because, after all, they still had their guns, and thus the means to rebel if they chose. The government let them keep their guns and the illusion of freedom, but took everything else.

I wish that I could remember who wrote it so I could link to it.

I think I read that one. It's called "The History of the United States"... :uhoh:

VW_Factor

Saddam's Royal Guard tried their best to make sure his "opposing" populous was disarmed.

The amount of control and regulation however is totally different from what most of the American public will envision or imagine about.

There is a reason that region of the world is unstable.

twoskinsonemanns

We have already been largely disarmed through social pressure. The numbers put out say only 3 in 10 Americans own a gun. How many of those are loaded and ready to use? How many of THOSE are carried? I'm guessing a very small percentage.
I had a buddy tell me this weekend his wife had said to him "Your going to bring that thing with us to the movies? Is that necessary?" This is the wife of a gun range owner and NRA instructor.
We are raised to have a real distaste for guns.

since9

Campaign Veteran
We have already been largely disarmed through social pressure. The numbers put out say only 3 in 10 Americans own a gun. How many of those are loaded and ready to use? How many of THOSE are carried? I'm guessing a very small percentage.

While less than 2% of Americans are carrying a firearm at any given time, the fact is that number could jump to more than 20% in less than 1 hour, as at least 1 out of every 5 people are familiar and comfortable enough with firearms to carry them if need be.* Since approximately 50% of all households have guns, it's conceivable that percentage could rise to as much as 50%.

*Funny story about one of the petite young ladies who works at a nearby office complex. Evidently she had a "stalker." Don't know if it was an actual stalker, but the guy was looking at her too often for her comfort every time he walked by her window. While talking to her one day, I asked if she was concerned. She knows I open carry, so I was hoping I might get her to consider obtaining a firearm for protection. While I was thinking about how to approach the subject delicately with this dainty young flower, she hiked up her skirt to reveal an XDM 40 strapped to the inside of her thigh. "Nope!" she exclaimed in response to my question. "If he tries anything, I'll just blow him away!"

The moral of the story is that you never really know who is carrying, or for that matter, which kind and gentle persons are capable of defending themselves in an expeditious manner.

He pointed out how in Sadam's Iraq, guns were in the hands of nearly everyone, and yet they were ruled by a ruthless dictator who apparently did not disarm his people, but everyone agrees that in spite of those arms, they were not "free."

Saddam didn't need to disarm them. He simply gassed them.

Last edited:

moonie

Saddam didn't need to disarm them. He simply gassed them.

But but but he didn't have any WMD's (which would include gas), yes, I'm kidding, how can you say he didn't have WMD's if he had ALREADY used them on his own population...

XD40coyote

Nice story there since9, too bad that feeling is not common among women. Did you ask if she has ever OC'd? If I was a hot young thing again, an XDm .40 with stainless slide would compliment my way of dress. I had to settle for a cool looking 70 pound dog back in those hot young thing days...

since9

Campaign Veteran
Nice story there since9, too bad that feeling is not common among women. Did you ask if she has ever OC'd? If I was a hot young thing again, an XDm .40 with stainless slide would compliment my way of dress. I had to settle for a cool looking 70 pound dog back in those hot young thing days...

Nah. She's usually armed -- how she carries is up to her. I suspect she, like many office workers who carry, probably wouldn't have a job very long if she OC'd.