• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

brief exposure / producing CWL

hammer6

Well, let's see how this plays out.

I regularly (as in DAILY) do this open carry thing here in Florida and I do "push the envelope", so to speak as in riding the motorcycle from shooting/fishing to various other places, other than my home. I do use the "brief" display statute to allow me to get off the bike and put on a cover garment.

If somebody calls in a MWAG call and the LEO's show up, I pretty sure I know why they are looking at my bike and then walking in.

The have a REASONABLE suspicion that a person fitting MY description riding MY motorcycle just came in with a gun, now properly concealed, but "briefly" openly displayed in the parking lot.

Florida Statute 790.06(1) expressly states that if you're carrying a concealed weapon you MUST produce valid identification UPON DEMAND by a law enforcement officer. It doesn't say they need to actually have a reason.

I've been through this. Just show the guy your license and move on.

Once they identify ME as the owner of the motorcycle AND my description fits the one given by the concerned citizen, the would be almost in dereliction of duty NOT to at least ask me if I'm carrying a weapon, at which time Florida law REQUIRES me to answer them AND produce identification, IF I'M CARRYING!

This isn't rocket science, it's basic police work and civil interaction.

I've been through this. Just show the guy your license and move on.

AD

if you weren't breaking a law, then what is their RAS that you did, are, or are about to commit a crime? how do they know you have a gun? if they acted on every single call they got without gathering information for themselves, this would be a very hectic place to live... i can see them watching you, and then waiting until you take your cover garment off, and get on your bike, and THEN they ask you for your CWL. (that is of course, after they draw down on you and stomp on your head for OCing....)

hammer6

I guess we can add reading comprehension issues to the list. :p

i love how your "reason for edit" was for a typo...especially when you are making fun of me for "reading comprehension"...

but srsly- show me your post where you cite case law. k thx bye.

notalawyer

i love how your "reason for edit" was for a typo...especially when you are making fun of me for "reading comprehension"...

i love how your "reason for edit" was for a typo
The typo was a spelling error caused by the inadvertent pressing of an incorrect key on my keyboard.

especially when you are making fun of me for "reading comprehension"

It's deliciously ironic that your reading comprehension issue has resulted in your failed attempt to equate two phrases.

One of these is not like the other:
typo - a mistake in printed matter resulting from mechanical failures of some kind

Reading comprehension - the level of understanding of a text. This understanding comes from the interaction between the words that are written and how they trigger knowledge outside the text.

In an effort to assist with your reading comprehension issues...
My statement was:
Any reasonable person would tend to accept reality when one has been provided citations to Florida statutes and case law on the subject.
I never stated I posted any.

hammer6

The typo was a spelling error caused by the inadvertent pressing of an incorrect key on my keyboard.

It's deliciously ironic that your reading comprehension issue has resulted in your failed attempt to equate two phrases.

One of these is not like the other:
typo - a mistake in printed matter resulting from mechanical failures of some kind

Reading comprehension - the level of understanding of a text. This understanding comes from the interaction between the words that are written and how they trigger knowledge outside the text.

In an effort to assist with your reading comprehension issues...
My statement was:

I never stated I posted any.

i was the one who cited case law... if you go and check

ADulay

if you weren't breaking a law, then what is their RAS that you did, are, or are about to commit a crime? how do they know you have a gun?
OK, one more time. They were dispatched to a site of a MWAG and have my description as well as that of my bike.

if they acted on every single call they got without gathering information for themselves, this would be a very hectic place to live...
If the dispatcher says to go check out the MWAG call, you better head on over and take a look.

i can see them watching you,
and then waiting until you take your cover garment off, and get on your bike, and THEN they ask you for your CWL. (that is of course, after they draw down on you and stomp on your head for OCing....)
Nope, my interaction with the local LEO's when obviously open carrying have been civil and professional on each occasion.

Do you open carry much in Florida? Have you had a lot of problems like the one you just mentioned?

AD

hammer6

OK, one more time. They were dispatched to a site of a MWAG and have my description as well as that of my bike.

If the dispatcher says to go check out the MWAG call, you better head on over and take a look.

Nope, my interaction with the local LEO's when obviously open carrying have been civil and professional on each occasion.

Do you open carry much in Florida? Have you had a lot of problems like the one you just mentioned?

AD

No, I haven't open carried much in florida. Because its illegal. Ask the guy in ft pierce who tried open carrying...he'll tell you all about those guns pointed at his face while he was on the ground with cops on his back....

And your theory of "you better head out and take a look" has been debunked.. See Warren v. District of Columbia...

But Srsly...how are they going to know you have a gun if you don't tell them? If you were open carrying in Florida "legally", as you say you do regularly, then you are no obligation to answer any questions. Nor can they ask for your cwl, because they have no RAS....

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Come on people... Does a guy from another country really have to handle this for you?

I haven't open carried much in florida. Because its illegal.

790.25 http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

hammer6

Come on people... Does a guy from another country really have to handle this for you?

790.25 http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

No need to post that- I obviously know...but that is not the topic...

Last edited:

notalawyer

No, I haven't open carried much in florida. Because its illegal. Ask the guy in ft pierce who tried open carrying...he'll tell you all about those guns pointed at his face while he was on the ground with cops on his back....

And your theory of "you better head out and take a look" has been debunked.. See Warren v. District of Columbia...

But Srsly...how are they going to know you have a gun if you don't tell them? If you were open carrying in Florida "legally", as you say you do regularly, then you are no obligation to answer any questions. Nor can they ask for your cwl, because they have no RAS....

You really need to go research what RAS is because your posts indicate that you have no understanding of the term.

As I have repeatedly stated, until such time as the Florida Supreme Court rules on the above referenced conflict between DCA's in Florida, we will not know (state-wide) if the mere possession (or suspected possession) of a firearm is considered RAS/PC for a terry stop and/or seizure of the weapon.

And regardless of how that decision comes out it will not impact, in any meaningful way, if a LEO has the authority to request one's CWFL.

It appears to be a waste of electrons for anyone to try to explain things to you as you seem to have your mind made up. So this will be my last post to you on this topic.

randian

Inside prisons, where inmates are located, yes.)
If I recall correctly, you can't possess a firearm anywhere, even secured in your trunk in the parking lot, in a prison. What should happen, IMO, is that you can carry up to the point where you sign in to enter. Then you surrender your firearms, which I believe even cops have to do when entering a prison. Obviously you get your gun back when you leave. I also think that licensees should be able to carry in a police station, which is also prohibited now. I'm not sure why cops are afraid of licensees.

hammer6

You really need to go research what RAS is because your posts indicate that you have no understanding of the term.

As I have repeatedly stated, until such time as the Florida Supreme Court rules on the above referenced conflict between DCA's in Florida, we will not know (state-wide) if the mere possession (or suspected possession) of a firearm is considered RAS/PC for a terry stop and/or seizure of the weapon.

And regardless of how that decision comes out it will not impact, in any meaningful way, if a LEO has the authority to request one's CWFL.

It appears to be a waste of electrons for anyone to try to explain things to you as you seem to have your mind made up. So this will be my last post to you on this topic.

What DCA has ruled? Doesn't a supreme court ruling have any power on that subject? What is this conflict you suggest? What have you explained to me? That a cop in Florida can walk up to any human being on the street and say, "let me see your CWL"?

hammer6

If I recall correctly, you can't possess a firearm anywhere, even secured in your trunk in the parking lot, in a prison. What should happen, IMO, is that you can carry up to the point where you sign in to enter. Then you surrender your firearms, which I believe even cops have to do when entering a prison. Obviously you get your gun back when you leave. I also think that licensees should be able to carry in a police station, which is also prohibited now. I'm not sure why cops are afraid of licensees.

I was told by an LT that I could leave my gun in the car in the jail parking lot...didn't have to check it in with the entrance ociffer either....

randian

I was told by an LT that I could leave my gun in the car in the jail parking lot...didn't have to check it in with the entrance ociffer either....
Sounds like a facility-specific policy. I know prisons do sweeps of their parking lots, and I'd hate to be the test case for whether a parking lot situated on prison grounds is within the meaning of the term "prison" in FS 790.06. The parking lots of schools have historically been treated as part of the prohibited area, for example, so I'm not sure why a prison would be different.

hammer6

Sounds like a facility-specific policy. I know prisons do sweeps of their parking lots, and I'd hate to be the test case for whether a parking lot situated on prison grounds is within the meaning of the term "prison" in FS 790.06. The parking lots of schools have historically been treated as part of the prohibited area, for example, so I'm not sure why a prison would be different.

actually- the parking lots of schools aren't off limits for permit holders here in florida...

randian

actually- the parking lots of schools aren't off limits for permit holders here in florida...
Sure, while doing a pickup/dropoff. I'm fairly sure you may not leave a weapon in your vehicle while on school property and going into a school building, nor may you stand in said parking lot while carrying.

77zach

Sure, while doing a pickup/dropoff. I'm fairly sure you may not leave a weapon in your vehicle while on school property and going into a school building, nor may you stand in said parking lot while carrying.

In Fl you may leave a firearm in the vehicle at a school, with or without a permit. You don't have to be dropping anyone off.

Last edited:

notalawyer

The statute uses the words "on the grounds of..." but there was at least one case I read that addressed the parking lot. The ruling stated something to the effect that the intent was to keep inmates from obtaining firearms. Therefore the 'contraband' restriction did not apply outside the secure area. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

notalawyer

Another statute that causes issues....I'll attempt to clarify.

In general one may not have a firearm on the property of a school, period. However there is an exception allowing folks to keep a firearm 'securely encased' in an vehicle in accordance with 790.25(5). With or without a CWFL.
Then the statue includes a provision for 'School Boards' to enact & publish rules waiving this exception for the purpose of student and campus parking privileges. - Publish is not defined.

The major problem with this exception is that it violates the doctrine of Separation of Powers, as an unconstitutional delegation of power from the Legislative branch to the Executive. In that it allows the School Board to declare some activity a felony just by publishing a 'rule'. This also clearly violates the principal intent of pre-emption - to insure consistent regulations statewide.

You may not have it on or about your person while on the property of any school - regardless if you have a CWFL.

hammer6

Another statute that causes issues....I'll attempt to clarify.

In general one may not have a firearm on the property of a school, period. However there is an exception allowing folks to keep a firearm 'securely encased' in an vehicle in accordance with 790.25(5). With or without a CWFL.
Then the statue includes a provision for 'School Boards' to enact & publish rules waiving this exception for the purpose of student and campus parking privileges. - Publish is not defined.

The major problem with this exception is that it violates the doctrine of Separation of Powers, as an unconstitutional delegation of power from the Legislative branch to the Executive. In that it allows the School Board to declare some activity a felony just by publishing a 'rule'. This also clearly violates the principal intent of pre-emption - to insure consistent regulations statewide.

You may not have it on or about your person while on the property of any school - regardless if you have a CWFL.

unless you are in your car