Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Critical Issue: DNS Virus - 300,000 Users Could Lose Net Access Monday!

  1. #1
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504

    Critical Issue: DNS Virus - 300,000 Users Could Lose Net Access Monday!

    Howdy Folks!
    A virus that is particularly malicious is floating around the netosphere. An infected computer will not take you to sites with legitimate DNS info, but to a different one that may look similar, but is part of the malicious nature. From such another site as you may end up in, and perhaps not even know you've been redirected, it is tough to say what might happen then.

    As if that isn't bad enough, an infected computer will no longer access the interent at all come Monday, if my info is correct.

    Antivirus companies are working hard on the issue, and the FBI, working with other law enforcement agencies overseas, have arrested two men that were responsible for this virus being introduced onto the net.

    The FBI has created a site so you can check to learn whether your computer is infected. The site is here:
    http://www.dns-ok.us/

    When you go there, you'll get a screen mostly green if your computer is not infected with the DNS virus. If, on the other hand, you have the virus, it will be red and also provide instructions on what to do to get rid of it.

    Here are a few links if you'd like to learn more about the DNS virus:
    From Canada:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...s.html?cmp=rss

    U.S. Sources:
    http://jailbreakstation.com/dns-chan...on-monday.html

    From the FBI:
    http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011...er-malware.pdf
    https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-i...sing-rogue-DNS

    Use the link to check your computer to determine whether it is affected.
    If it is, get it squared away before Monday!

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  2. #2
    Regular Member wmodavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    109
    I believe you are right on M. I frequently read Dwight Silverman and here is his post on same issue. "On Monday, the FBI will kill Internet access for thousands. Don’t be one of them."

    If you scroll down in his article there is a link where you can check your computer to see if it will affect you.
    "If you would like to check your computer and you live in the United States, you can visit this link. If your PC is clean, you’ll see this screen"
    Last edited by wmodavis; 07-08-2012 at 09:20 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    This is most certainly not a critical issue.

    Malware has been hi-jacking DNS resolution for years and zombifying millions of computers a year. Ad-ware mostly to take you to places THEY'D like you to see instead of places you want to go.

    Why this is considered top priority this time around, is beyond me.

    This is going to happen, and the FBI is going to take these bad DNS resolution end points off the net, and the people who are infected will suddenly not be able to browse reliably anymore. Their first call will be to their ISPs to ask why their internet is broken. A majority of the people affected are going to blame ISPs and other service providers..
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  4. #4
    Regular Member wmodavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    109

  5. #5
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403
    This malware has been around for over 3 years, and is very easy to remove (and antivirus programs will not stop or remove it), and the chatter about those infected possibly losing internet has been getting discussed for over a year; they just finally decided to pull the plug. Anyone that has not scanned or had their computer scanned for it by now; well I think I'll shut up now.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  6. #6
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Folks!
    A virus that is particularly malicious is floating around the netosphere. An infected computer will not take you to sites with legitimate DNS info, but to a different one that may look similar, but is part of the malicious nature. From such another site as you may end up in, and perhaps not even know you've been redirected, it is tough to say what might happen then.

    As if that isn't bad enough, an infected computer will no longer access the interent at all come Monday, if my info is correct.

    Antivirus companies are working hard on the issue, and the FBI, working with other law enforcement agencies overseas, have arrested two men that were responsible for this virus being introduced onto the net.

    The FBI has created a site so you can check to learn whether your computer is infected. The site is here:
    http://www.dns-ok.us/

    When you go there, you'll get a screen mostly green if your computer is not infected with the DNS virus. If, on the other hand, you have the virus, it will be red and also provide instructions on what to do to get rid of it.

    Here are a few links if you'd like to learn more about the DNS virus:
    From Canada:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...s.html?cmp=rss

    U.S. Sources:
    http://jailbreakstation.com/dns-chan...on-monday.html

    From the FBI:
    http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011...er-malware.pdf
    https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-i...sing-rogue-DNS

    Use the link to check your computer to determine whether it is affected.
    If it is, get it squared away before Monday!

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Seems like a good way for the Federal Government to place a trace on your I.P. to me. I wouldn't venture anywhere near this webpage. I have a hard time trusting the Federal Government with all they have done recently to destroy my constitutional rights.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  7. #7
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Yess!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Seems like a good way for the Federal Government to place a trace on your I.P. to me. I wouldn't venture anywhere near this webpage. I have a hard time trusting the Federal Government with all they have done recently to destroy my constitutional rights.
    this reminds me of 25 years ago,,,,
    the micheal onjelo virus scare... i cant spell it,,, i cant even say it,, right...
    everyone,, that went to a web page to check their computer for the virus,,,
    GOT IT!!!

    Dont Go there!!! It is probably a loading site for more infections!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012
    A malicious website in 1987 that predates the invention of either the HTTP protocol?

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    A malicious website in 1987 that predates the invention of either the HTTP protocol?

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

    Time to do some reading.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    When did I say anything about the Internet? The Internet is not HTTP. The initial draft for the HTTP protocol was released in 1991, which is well after 1987. Without HTTP, there are no websites.


    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tryon, NC
    Posts
    60
    Kcgunfan is correct, here. HTTP protocol began the web as we know it. It did not exist in the 80s. Before that, it was pretty much FTP, telnet, and USENET primarily.
    Last edited by ramkatral; 07-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    When did I say anything about the Internet? The Internet is not HTTP. The initial draft for the HTTP protocol was released in 1991, which is well after 1987. Without HTTP, there are no websites.


    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    1981 Computer Science Network (CSNET)
    1982 TCP/IP protocol suite formalized
    1982 Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)
    1983 Domain Name System (DNS)
    1983 MILNET split off from ARPANET
    1985 First .COM domain name registered
    You really dislike reading don't you?

    Edit: I'm guessing you are talking about the WWW and web browsing as we know it today.. It existed back then, just not like it is today. But simply stating the it didn't exist is incorrect.

    The earliest worm/malware I know of was

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_worm

    Listed on that wiki as well. Released in '88 perpetrated via internet.
    Last edited by VW_Factor; 07-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    The first documented version of HTTP was HTTP V0.9 (1991).

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by ramkatral View Post
    Kcgunfan is correct, here. HTTP protocol began the web as we know it. It did not exist in the 80s. Before that, it was pretty much FTP, telnet, and USENET primarily.
    don't forget email!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012
    Computer Scientists speak very precisely as a matter of their training. When I said HTTP, I mean exactly that and nothing more. The term is precisely defined in the IETF RFC's and would not apply to any systems that existed in 1987. You can try and change the topic as much as you want, what I wrote is still the truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    You really dislike reading don't you?

    Edit: I'm guessing you are talking about the WWW and web browsing as we know it today.. It existed back then, just not like it is today. But simply stating the it didn't exist is incorrect.

    The earliest worm/malware I know of was

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_worm

    Listed on that wiki as well. Released in '88 perpetrated via internet.


    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  16. #16
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    Computer Scientists speak very precisely as a matter of their training. When I said HTTP, I mean exactly that and nothing more. The term is precisely defined in the IETF RFC's and would not apply to any systems that existed in 1987. You can try and change the topic as much as you want, what I wrote is still the truth.
    Look.

    While it wasn't the Michelangelo virus mentioned, there was a worm that propagated over what was the internet nearly some 25 years ago as mentioned. You offered rebuttle that it wasn't possible because it predated HTTP.

    Not trying to prove you wrong, merely that there was indeed "malware" that existed 23 years ago on what was the "forefather" of cyberspace. The mention of "webpage" was brought on in what appears to be sarcasm in going to a government run "webpage" to check your machine (or in this case DNS resolution)for the current infection.

    That was the topic at hand, I am not trying to change it.

    Carry on.

    No hard feelings, not trying to argue. Just discussing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  17. #17
    Regular Member bigdaddy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southsider der hey
    Posts
    1,320
    I cant read this thread as my internet has been killed, squashed like a bug. I wonder what it will be like when I can get back on, will there be flying cars?
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

  18. #18
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    How do we know YOU are not giving us a virus??? :-P
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.


    The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

  19. #19
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    How do we know YOU are not giving us a virus??? :-P
    I use protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Ok, people -- away with the tin foil...

    Here are some facts from moi, an old ARPANET user from the mid-80s and beyond:

    1. Yes, the threat is (was) real.

    2. Yes, good antivirus programs do (did) clean your system.

    3. No, the http://www.dns-ok.us/ link does NOT put a virus on the computer. No, it doesn't allow the government to personally identify you, either.

    4. kcgunfan is essentially correct. HTTP <> Internet. The foundations of the Internet date back to the late 1960s. The first documented version of HTTP was back in 1991, but RFC 1945 officially introduced and recognized HTTP V1.0 in 1996.

    The issue is that the guys who created it were caught. The FBI had created a mirrored DNS system to fool the perps into thinking their plan was still in play so they'd keep getting bolder and break more laws. It worked. The FBI's work-around just kept things humming along without most people being aware of it. They announced the system, as well as catching the perps about six months ago, and figured six months was long enough for most anti-virus packages to be updated and fix people's computers.

    I'm surprised I'm not covered in tin foil just from reading the many and gross misconceptions on this thread.

    Thanks, M-Taleisin, for sharing the details in a timely manner. Good on 'ya!
    Last edited by since9; 07-10-2012 at 04:23 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •