• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing restaurant delivery driver in the news

TFred

Saturday's Free Lance-Star published a front page (above the fold) article on the recent rash of restaurant delivery driver robberies. Accompanying that article was a photo of a driver clearly openly carrying his Glock .40 caliber pistol.

Mentioned in the article was the heinous robbery that took place in Fredericksburg about 4 years ago, which sparked my own resumption of interest in gun ownership, self-defense, and perhaps most importantly, the legislative process involved with both. The perpetrators of that robbery/murder were caught, and are now in jail for a very long time.

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2012/07/06/food-delivery-drivers-stepping-up-safety/

Snip from article:

The sheriff and others haven’t forgotten the murder four years ago of a delivery driver from a Chinese restaurant in Fredericksburg. That’s what prompted Whitaker, the delivery driver for Lin’s Express, to carry a gun on the job.

In July 2008, Yong Hui Zhang was abducted and killed after he made a delivery for his family’s China Express restaurant, which has since closed.

Jermaine L. Montgomery was sentenced to three life sentences in the case after pleading guilty to capital murder, robbery and abduction. His accomplice, Marcey White, pleaded guilty to six charges—including abduction and carjacking—and was sentenced to 60 years in prison.

“I don’t want that to happen on my watch or anybody else’s watch,” Sheriff Harris said. “So in order to try to prevent that, education for me is key.”

Whitaker says he hopes the mere sight of his gun, which he hasn’t had to use, will deter criminals. Still, he said he plans to attend the class being offered by the Sheriff’s Office.​

TFred

Photo published on the front page with the article:

070712delivery.jpg

Neplusultra

Years ago I delivered pizza at night while I worked on starting my business during the day. The owner forbid carrying of any type..... Ironically before becoming an owner of a pizza joint he had managed one and was fired for carrying a firearm while making the nightly bank deposit. Not sure what to think about that :^). I'm sure it has to do with insurance companies, maybe this would be a good legislative initiative to require insurance companies to cover such without prohibitive premium increases???

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Years ago I delivered pizza at night while I worked on starting my business during the day. The owner forbid carrying of any type..... Ironically before becoming an owner of a pizza joint he had managed one and was fired for carrying a firearm while making the nightly bank deposit. Not sure what to think about that :^). I'm sure it has to do with insurance companies, maybe this would be a good legislative initiative to require insurance companies to cover such without prohibitive premium increases???

We have consistently asked businesses and insurance companies to show us the restriction supposedly being imposed by the insurance company - not just for delivery drivers but for just about every activity.

Crickets.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Props to the Spotsylvania Sheriff for offering classes on safety. It would be nice to see/read what they have to say about personal self defense - be it with handguns, pepper spray, or a tire iron. Anybody local going to attend?

stay safe.

Sheriff

It would be my opinion.....

Let me repeat this..... it would be my OPINION.....

..... that this driver wouldn't last 2 days in the city in which I live. The bleeding heart liberals answering their door, with their kids standing behind them, to see a man with a gun delivering their pizza would prompt a series of complaints a pizza shoppe would never tolerate in this area.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And yet I see a great advertising opportunity for the armed delivery driver. Just need to work out the last glitch so as not to run afoul of the DCJS rules about armed couriers as opposed to armed delivery folk. I think it can be done due to the nature of the item being delivered.

"Neither rain nor snow nor pirates will keep us from delivering your ....."? Sure better than the trouble folks got into trying to meet the "delivered in 30 minutes or it's free" deadline.

stay safe.

zoom6zoom

I don't live in their delivery area, and generally don't order delivery, but sure would do so to show my support for them.

Maybe they can add ammo delivery to their services.

Last edited:

Arma1911

"Maybe they can add ammo delivery to their services."

Zoom, I think you may be on to something!!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There you go, thinking everybody is just like you.

I have never had a pizza (delivery or pick-up or served at the table) where an unordered item was added. Now there were times when something was left off, but that's not what we are discussing, is it?

stay safe.

Sheriff

Worst case scenario, due to lack of space some employee with an IQ of 80 might stack ammo on top of the pizza ovens. :lol:

supranite90

As an employee of a pizza chain (not going to say which one), I dislike the policy against carrying while on delivery. BUT I always have it in the car so what they don't know and can't see won't hurt them. Also when I am making my nightly deposit, I always carry no matter what store I am working at. I would rather be fired than lose my life over a couple hundred dollars .....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... :lol:

Just how are they going to get the ammo boxes up there when the space is taken up with boxes of pizzas waiting to be picked up/delivered? You might want to ask your case manager to find you a better sheltered employment position - guesser of catastrophes seems to be beyond your limits.

Just more evidence suggesting that you never get out of the car and go inside anywhere. Drive-thru rulz!

stay safe.

Sheriff

Just how are they going to get the ammo boxes up there when the space is taken up with boxes of pizzas waiting to be picked up/delivered? You might want to ask your case manager to find you a better sheltered employment position - guesser of catastrophes seems to be beyond your limits.

Just more evidence suggesting that you never get out of the car and go inside anywhere. Drive-thru rulz!

stay safe.

You're up at 5:30 a.m. in the morning to post this drivel? :lol: :question: :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Worst case scenario, due to lack of space some employee with an IQ of 80 might stack ammo on top of the pizza ovens. :lol:

stay safe.

You're up at 5:30 a.m. in the morning to post this drivel? :lol: :question: :lol:

Whose "let's pretend post" was he responding to?

So pizza delivery drivers tend to have a low IQ do they? I know several college grads performing this task until the employment market improves or to supplement the income from their day job.

Insofar as ammo cooking-off on top of an oven, what is the temperature on top where the delivery pizzas are stacked? Doubt it is high enough to be of a concern. Cooked off rounds generally have a very low ballistic factor as the case/brass ruptures.....except in Hollywood movies

In his book "Gunshot Wounds" Vincent Di Maio describes various experiments where ammunition was heated in ovens. He says that .22 long rifle cartridges detonate at an average of 275F, .38 Special at 290F and 12 gauge shotgun shells at 387F. The interesting thing about these furnace experiments was that in all instances the cartridge cases ruptured, but the primers did not detonate. In fact the primers were removed from some of the ruptured cases, reloaded into other brass and fired.

Cooking-Off Cartridges. NRA Illustrated Reloading Handbook. Washington, D.C.: The National Rifle Association of America.

"Gunshot Wounds - practical aspects of firearms, ballistics and forensic techniques" by Vincent Di Maio

OC for ME

Sheepskin does not a intelligent man make.

I don't know many pizza delivery dudes/dudettes. Every one that I do know or have met are likely not the sharpest pizza cutters in the store.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is it the temperature outside or something in the water? Here lately some have taken to making demeaning remarks about others. Not exactly a good way to foster positive interaction with potential new "members" much less that the press/media is very active in reading these forums. Would you like to see your remarks quoted?

Guess it is time to remind some of the Forum Rules

We need to stop negatively stereotyping people based on their job, education, age, etc, etc, etc. These are not so subtle personal attacks, bashing. All good people are entitled to the right of personal defense.