• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man gets targeted for OC

vegaspassat

I've heard the argument from the CCW minded people that OC makes you more of a target to criminals. I never believed it because I never saw any proof. Here I've found a video confirming what the CCW'ers say. I hope you guys can tell me that it is old news, and that it was media spin that made it look like the victim was singled out. Here is the YT video that I found

http://youtu.be/zx_YUO4SzcY

Maine Expat

I think that one's been out for awhile, not sure when exactly it happened.

This kind of thing can and will happen occasionally, but it in no way supports any general statement that OCers are targets for criminals, unless you're talking about California. In fact the research indicates quite the opposite. I recall a survey of several prison inmates where most of them said they'd go there other way if they saw an OC anywhere near their intended target. So OCers are generally more of a deterrent that a target.

Here's another YT that's admittedly pro guns (NRAvideos) that illustrates this point.
http://youtu.be/9dusk432VOw

Last edited:

vegaspassat

Right, but it only takes one media case that is to the contrary for "them" to latch on and use it to prove "undeniably" that OC (or guns owned by the public in general) is evil

Maine Expat

Right, but it only takes one media case that is to the contrary for "them" to latch on and use it to prove "undeniably" that OC (or guns owned by the public in general) is evil

Right you are Vegas. Fortunately for us we have a powerful pro gun rights lobby that can stomp on those fires rather quickly.

All the more reason for us to "preach the gospel" of OC and legal gun ownership, even though it will fall on many deaf ears. I had to teach my own parents that OC is legal in Maine. They just assumed you needed a permit like everyone else.

In the meantime, Condition Zero is just a flick of the thumb away.

Vegassteve

It's one story, and if I recall it turned out either false or was not really a open carry guy. The Wisconsin forum is where it was from.

pfries

I've heard the argument from the CCW minded people that OC makes you more of a target to criminals. I never believed it because I never saw any proof. Here I've found a video confirming what the CCW'ers say. I hope you guys can tell me that it is old news, and that it was media spin that made it look like the victim was singled out. Here is the YT video that I found

http://youtu.be/zx_YUO4SzcY
Thats fom June 09 IIRC

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I've heard the argument from the CCW minded people that OC makes you more of a target to criminals.

Sure, that's why all of those cops in harness are singled out by criminals . . .

Put yourself in the mind of a criminal who sees you OC. His first assumption is that you are a cop. He knows that if he shoots a cop, his life is likely to be short and eventful.

If he decides that you are NOT a cop, he then has to wonder if anyone around you is CCW (or if he missed seeing an OC), because why would you just be walking around OC . . ?

Then he finally figures out that you are not a cop, there are no other likely carriers around . . .and then the question is whether attacking you will succeed.

Somewhere in that process, he will have begun considering the fact that anyone OC has probably done more practicing than he has . . .

Criminals are LAZY, not STUPID, and none of the factors above would make them eager to open the festivities.

twoskinsonemanns

After watching this video i only think that muscular guy hold this gun for own safety and decide to stop the crime in city.Media turns this news into big issue which scared the people of city and trying to aware criminals!!

Please have big welcome to our forum!

Last edited by a moderator: