• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Encounter Chambers Creek Regional Park In University Place

FrayedString

Curious

I was just wondering about this...

LEO is pestering you about OC, not listening as you cite RCWs and such.

So you whip out your cell phone and call the non-emergency # (probably best not to waste 911 dispatcher's time) and complain about the officer harassing you when you aren't violating any laws.

Maybe it's a bit of a jerk move, but it seems like it could be a bit humorous to see the LEO's reaction?

"XXXX Police Department, how may I direct your call?"

"Hi, yes, are there any officers available who are familiar with the laws regarding open carry in the state of Washington? I'm being harassed by ________. Thanks, yes I'll hold."

Last edited:

amlevin

So you whip out your cell phone and call the non-emergency # (probably best not to waste 911 dispatcher's time) and complain about the officer harassing you when you aren't violating any laws.

Why NOT call 911 in this circumstance? They're there to serve the public aren't they? Also, a call to 911 will definitely be recorded while a "Business Line" call most likely will not. A call to 911, especially if made on "speaker phone mode" will also record whatever the officer tells you such as "hang up the effin phone", etc.

sudden valley gunner

Why NOT call 911 in this circumstance? They're there to serve the public aren't they? Also, a call to 911 will definitely be recorded while a "Business Line" call most likely will not. A call to 911, especially if made on "speaker phone mode" will also record whatever the officer tells you such as "hang up the effin phone", etc.

If you don't live in Pierce County call 911 and ask for Sheriff's to respond.

hahah

Grammer Police

Signs are funny things. For the most part, they don't grant any rights or impose any duties that didn't already exist without a sign. Trespassing inside someone's house is illegal whether a sign is up or not. You can't carry inside a court room whether they have a sign or not. Putting up a sign requiring you to allow a search without a warrant has no legal force. And so on.

And yet, people will instinctively consider such signage to be binding. A sign prohibiting firearm possession would be illegal under state preemption, but I bet that cop would enforce such a sign if one existed. He'd be breaking the law to do so, but he probably wouldn't care. For that matter, he himself would be carrying in violation of a sign prohibiting weapons. But I bet he wouldn't care about that either.

It makes me wonder what weight such an individual would give a sign stating that the Constitution is strictly enforced in the area. Would he become a model officer?

Dischaching? Was that an attempt at conveying his accent, or does your browser lack a spell check feature?

GramAR POLICE....Really

MKEgal

amlevin said:
Why NOT call 911 in this circumstance?
Um, because it'd be illegal?
911 is for emergencies, things that could threaten life/limb, etc.
As described, the ignorant LEO did not seem to be threatening anyone's life, just being annoying, & even that at a fairly low level.

sudden valley gunner

As described, the ignorant LEO did not seem to be threatening anyone's life, just being annoying, & even that at a fairly low level.

You mean if someone does it make my sandwich right at Burger King I am not to call 911? LOL.......:cool:

Tacitus42

I took it as a threat of arrest if anyone complained. Little bit more than annoying. I plan to return to park with a fully charged camera. Am i being detained?, is all he is getting this time

LkWd_Don

Are you saying that I or anyone else should not be in fear of our lives if we see someone publicly stroking their sidearm when there is no other act creating a need to even touch a firearm?

How are we to know the next action will not be to draw and double-tap someone? Who cares if the violator happens to be a LEO.. are you saying that LEO's are not subject to PTSD in their line of work and could not possibly snap at the wrong time?