• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC vacation experiences in Mackinaw and the UP

Hevymetal

I was gonna post this in the OC experiences thread but after typing it out I realized it turned out to be the a little long winded so I decided to just make a new thread about it.

Was a long and eventful week. My wife and I took a comping trip up north for th 4th and I OC'd a majority of the trip, I'll break it down and point out a few highlights and potential pitfalls for future reference.

1. Left Clinton township and headed up I-75 hit a few gas stations and a couple or rest stops on the way up to the camping site in Mackinaw city no issues.

2 We stayed at Mackinaw Mills Campgrounds. I Oced at the camp site and around the grounds but I CC whenever I had to use the store to get ice and such (way too many little kids bumping into you) I locked up my Sig in the car when using the showers. Had one camper say "You must be from Detroit, right?" I said "Close enough." he said "You needent say anything more." smiled and went on about his business. Had another ask me if I really thought it was necessary to carry a gun around all these kids, my response was "Yes as a matter of fact I do, bad things happen to good people anywhere you go. Are you going to guarantee the safety of myself and my wife." with that he said "F*** You A**hole", shook his head gave me the finger and walked away. I said "Have a good day sir, enjoy your stay." never saw him again the whole trip. Go figure, gotta be one in every crowd.

3. Mackinaw City, Oced in all the shops, through the city and at the park alongside the bridge no issues but alot of stares. At the Harley dealer an employee asked if I was carrying a Beretta, I told him no it's a Sig he said "Cool, never shot one of those before." he asked how I liked it and I said I loved it otherwise I wouldn't be carrying it, my life could potentially depend on it.

4. Went to Mackinaw Island next day, here is where things got interesting. Had to go via ferry, we used Star Line Ferry. Arrived at the docks purchased the tickets and informed the cashier I was transporting my gun to the island in case she didn't notice it on my hip. She said "You can't do that. No guns on the island or the ferry." I asked her to get the supervisor because I had been told on the phone I could. The supervisor came over corrected the cashier and said "No problem, you just gotta check it with the Captain while on board."

The Captain of the ferry came over and said "Nice gun. you OC alot?" I replied "As often as possible". He told me the story of presenting his CPL for ID at the airport one time and the mayhem that ensued as a result, we both laughed. I cleared the gun dockside pocketed the mag and gave him the empty gun which he slipped into his backpack. Meanwhile the looks from onlooking tourists was priceless. We boarded the ferry and crossed over to the island and upon arrival we waited for the Capt who came over and handed my gun back to me. I loaded it dockside slipped it into my holster and we proceeded on for a day of sightseeing.

4. Mackinaw Island, We took a carriage tour around the island. while purchasing tickets the cashier informed me it was illegal to carry on the carriage without a CPL (Never heard of this before, is she correct? A carriage is NOT a motorized vehicle.) and without one I would have to ride horseback. When I informed her I had my CPL she seemed rather disappointed I did and sold us the tickets.

While waiting in line for the carriage to arrive a girl in front of us about 14 noticed my gun and started freaking out telling her dad "He's got a gun" to which he replied "He must be a cop." "But dad he's got a gun and it's showing, he's not in uniform." he glanced back briefly and told her to mind her business and shut up cause the guy with the gun can hear you. She then started yelling at her mother and brother "He's got a gun, he's got a gun." Which was loud and caused others who were unaware of our presence to take note. My wife started getting rather annoyed with her comments and actions and said to me loudly enough for her and her family to hear "People should mind their business and keep their mouth shut about things they know nothing about." Her father hearing my wife apparently agreed and told her again to be quiet. She did but continued to look back every 30 seconds for the duration of the time in line.

It was a hot day so I ran over to the store to get the wife and I a pop. A mackinaw police officer who looked about 20 was standing outside the store, I entered, got us a pop and upon exiting the store he said "Hello, how are you?", I thought, here we go and replied "Good and you?" he said "Fine, have a great day on the island." I replied "Thank you." and proceeded back to the line for the carriage. That was it, no comments about my gun which I know he saw.

Took the carriage ride and nothing happened, I sat strong side to the outside so everyone we passed on the streets got a good view of my gun. Alot of stares but no comments.

We stopped by the Grand Hotel to get some info about room rates for the next trip. I entered the hotel and everyone saw my gun but nothing was said. The registration clerk handed me the info and thanked me for stopping in.

While walking into one of the shops A family from India (an assumption on my part) was in front of us and their son noticed my gun and said "Dad, check it out he's gotta gun." to which he replied "Everyone here in their country carries guns, it's like the wild west." I chose not to respond and entered the store. It seems as though many of the foreigners had never seen a gun before. At another shop an Japanese teenager said "Nice gun, you a cop?" I said "No, just an average law abiding citizen." He informed me he had never actually seen a real gun before because back home they are banned. I explained here in the US it is a guaranteed right under the Constitution. He said back home they carry knives and swords. Was thinking of the "bringing a knife to a gunfight joke" but said nothing. He left and we went back to shopping.

Had dinner at Godfellas bar and grill OCed no comments, no problems.

Passed two other Mackinaw police during the walk around and nothing was said. Thank You to those who ventured before me desensitizing and educating them. Eight full time cops on the island and I saw three during the trip with no problems.

Then it was time to go back to the mainland we headed back to the docks for the ferry. Upon arriving I found a couple of employees hiding in the luggage claim area playing cards and informed I need to talk to the Capt before boarding to check in my gun. This led to a 10 minute conversations on guns and carrying and how the on kid was almost 21 and as soon as he was he was getting his CPL I told him he can OC at 18 if he has a pistol registered to him. He told me he has 5 (wow nice 20 and already owns 5 pistols) I steered him here and to MOC.

The ferry arrived dockside and lo and behold the same Capt. who ferried us to the island was taking us back. He saw me and the wife and smiled as I cleared my gun dockside and pocketed the mag. He slipped the gun onto his pocket and we boarded the ship.

We arrived at the mainland and even before leaving the ferry he handed me my gun. I asked him if he should give it to me onboard to which he replied. "I'm the Capt. and can do whatever I want on my boat and I'm surely not worried about you. Lawful citizens carrying guns is a good thing and the fact you went through the steps to inform me you were carrying show me your lawful. There is probably 5 people a day who just walk onboard with their guns concealed and say nothing, violating several laws." I loaded it then I thanked him and me and the wife headed back to the campsite.

I would recommend with all confidence anyone using the ferry system to goto the Island use Star Line they were very friendly, courteous and had no problems with transporting my gun.

5. The next day we headed up to Sault St Marie to see the locks. FYI to those that do not know the locks are FEDERAL property and you CANNOT carry onto their property. There are signs posted and every enterance NO FIREARMS. They are serious about this. The wife and I parked streetside downtown I locked up my gun in full view of the Federal security guard then we toured the locks. After the tour I was getting my gun out and loading it standing in the back of the car on the street and noticed a reporter from the local TV station that was interviewing someone behind me. So if you live in the soo and seen someone loading a gun on TV in the background of some interview that was me :)

6. We decided to goto Point Iroquois Lighthouse overlooking Lake Superior. I called the info center to make sure it was a state park and was informed it was FEDERAL, doh, damn good thing I called. Didn't realize there were so many federal parks in the UP since this was my first trip there. So had to go through the same unload, encase blah again. Toured the lighthouse and all went well. The ranger informed me a year ago they had an OCer up there and they told him to go put it in his car, he apparently thought it was a state park too. Nice they didn't send him off to Gitmo. The old guy was really cool and knew ALOT about the history of the area.

7. Next stop Tahquamenon Falls State Park OCed at the upper and lower falls passed a couple of rangers no comments not even a stare. Stopped by the office to inquire about camping and carrying and was told no problems got some info and headed out. Stopped by several stores and a couple of gas stations in the UP no issues whatsoever, guess they are used to the locals and hunters carrying. Headed back to the campsite.

8. Off to Traverse City on the way back home. Didn't realize the Cherry festival was going on (Bonus). We stopped at a gas station to fill up outside Traverse City while standing in line I l heard a little kid behind me "Look mommy he's got a gun", "Yes he does she replied." Then I hear "Hey mister can I touch your gun?" I was quite surprised because I never heard that one before, and though that could have several meanings most of which were not good. I said "No you can't, I'm sorry, It's not a toy, you have to go through a safety course and learn about how to properly handle one." His mother said "Thank you for explaining that to him." I paid for my gas and we were on our way.

Next stop the Harley dealer in Traverse City. While shopping a saleslady came up to me and said "Sir, your gun is showing." My response was "Why yes it is, is that a problem?" She said "I just don't want you to get into trouble." I asked if they wanted me to leave. She said "Of course not, I just don't want you to get into trouble for displaying it." She said her CPL instructor told the class you can't display a gun at all. I informed her that OC is legal in Michigan with or without a CPL and her instructor was completely wrong. Pointed her here and MOC for laws and carry info. Finished shopping and left.

We arrived at the festival grounds (A city Park) the wife and I strolled around looking at all the various things cherry. We sampled all the cherry goods, pie, salsa, jam, fresh cherries, even had a small sample of cherry wine. As we were headed out we passed a group of 6 Traverse City cops standing around in a circle they looked at me as we passed by but didn't say a word.

Then back home.

All in all it was an excellent trip and we had alot of fun. I hope the info I've provided here will be of some use to those that may be planning a trip to Mackinaw or the UP. Be careful of the FEDERAL Parks and when in doubt call and ask.

Hevymetal

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Was the lighthouse a national park? If so carry is allowed in national parks and lake-shores.

As for the carriage, it's a gray area as the law only says vehicles, not motorized vehicles. The term vehicle is not defined in the statute and since it is not, the court uses the dictionary definition, which says a horse, bicycle, wheelbarrow, etc is a VEHICLE. Basically anything that transports goods or people is a vehicle in the broadest definition. So based on that, the statue is a gray area in regards to loaded weapons.

Hevymetal

Was the lighthouse a national park? If so carry is allowed in national parks and lake-shores.

As for the carriage, it's a gray area as the law only says vehicles, not motorized vehicles. The term vehicle is not defined in the statute and since it is not, the court uses the dictionary definition, which says a horse, bicycle, wheelbarrow, etc is a VEHICLE. Basically anything that transports goods or people is a vehicle in the broadest definition. So based on that, the statue is a gray area in regards to loaded weapons.

The lighthouse is a National Park managed by the USDA and The Coast Guard.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...rest%20-%20Point%20Iroquois%20Light%20Station

When I called the person who answered the call said it was federal property and guns were not allowed. I didn't wanna press the issue figured being federal it wasn't worth the effort and he did specifically say guns weren't allowed when I asked. If it was an error on his part I'm not sure. I I did strike up a conversation with the ranger who also said guns weren't allowed. I mentioned I OC that's when he told me the story of the guy a year or so ago that was OCing and asked to store his gun for the duration of his visit.

Not sure if they had an issue with the carriage rides before or not but I imagine her comment came from the fact she saw my gun. I don't know if she was trying to discourage me or protect me but from her attitude and demeanor I think she was trying to discourage me from taking the ride. Since I had my CPL it was a non-issue. Since she made the comment about only being able to ride the horse without a CPL it made me wonder, wouldn't that be a violation under the broadest definition as well or is a horse not considered a vehicle but rather an mode of transportation that falls outside of the scope of that definition?

Ken56

It sounds like you had a great vacation, lots of good experiences. Which brings me to my asking how many campers are there on here? I'm new to camping having just bought our first RV. Like all of us on these boards I don't go anywhere without my gun, cc or oc doesn't matter, But what does matter is I have noticed alot of private parks have a "no firearms on premisis" policy. Complete BS I think but it is private property and all. State parks is a non issue and I have camped in some without incident also. This is what I do when I go to a private park. I have a winchester evault cabled in my truck that I will stow it in..... but its still 'on premisis'. I have no other choice as the management offers, atleast openly, no other option. I have not spoken to the park manager as yet and the wife says you can't un ring a bell so leave it alone and just be discreet. I tend to agree here. Anyones thoughts on this?

Ezerharden

It sounds like you had a great vacation, lots of good experiences. Which brings me to my asking how many campers are there on here? I'm new to camping having just bought our first RV. Like all of us on these boards I don't go anywhere without my gun, cc or oc doesn't matter, But what does matter is I have noticed alot of private parks have a "no firearms on premisis" policy. Complete BS I think but it is private property and all. State parks is a non issue and I have camped in some without incident also. This is what I do when I go to a private park. I have a winchester evault cabled in my truck that I will stow it in..... but its still 'on premisis'. I have no other choice as the management offers, atleast openly, no other option. I have not spoken to the park manager as yet and the wife says you can't un ring a bell so leave it alone and just be discreet. I tend to agree here. Anyones thoughts on this?

I camp and I just avoid places that are "no firearms". If it is a private park, I ask when making reservations, if it is a state park, or national, I don't worry about it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The lighthouse is a National Park managed by the USDA and The Coast Guard.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...rest%20-%20Point%20Iroquois%20Light%20Station

When I called the person who answered the call said it was federal property and guns were not allowed. I didn't wanna press the issue figured being federal it wasn't worth the effort and he did specifically say guns weren't allowed when I asked. If it was an error on his part I'm not sure. I I did strike up a conversation with the ranger who also said guns weren't allowed. I mentioned I OC that's when he told me the story of the guy a year or so ago that was OCing and asked to store his gun for the duration of his visit.

Not sure if they had an issue with the carriage rides before or not but I imagine her comment came from the fact she saw my gun. I don't know if she was trying to discourage me or protect me but from her attitude and demeanor I think she was trying to discourage me from taking the ride. Since I had my CPL it was a non-issue. Since she made the comment about only being able to ride the horse without a CPL it made me wonder, wouldn't that be a violation under the broadest definition as well or is a horse not considered a vehicle but rather an mode of transportation that falls outside of the scope of that definition?

Based on the website you gave, it's a national Forrest site and guns ARE allowed there. If it is a USCG lighthouse, then guns are not allowed. Very confusing.

A horse is a vehicle under the broadest definition. I doubt anyone would charge with OC on a horse though. Since you have a CPL the discussion is moot.

Hevymetal

As Ezerharden said I try to call first and stick to areas that are firearm friendly. I have had a few say as long as we don't see it we don't care. Even as a scout leader they REALLY frowned on carrying of guns but had no problem if it was locked in the vehicle and out of sight while on the scout campgrounds.

At worst if it's private land all they could do if they discovered you had one is ask you to leave, then I would ask for a refund and leave.

Based on the website you gave, it's a national Forrest site and guns ARE allowed there. If it is a USCG lighthouse, then guns are not allowed. Very confusing.

A horse is a vehicle under the broadest definition. I doubt anyone would charge with OC on a horse though. Since you have a CPL the discussion is moot.

Yes, the USCG has their hands in the mix even though it's decommissioned. It's a historical landmark that they maintain that lies within the Hiawatha National Forest. Confusing indeed

scot623

Anyone have any idea what the "several laws" are that are being broken by people CC'ing on the ferry to the island the Captian mentioned??

Last edited:

Hevymetal

Anyone have any idea what the "several laws" are that are being broken by people CC'ing on the ferry to the island the Captian mentioned??

I ASSuME it would have to do something with notification to the US coast guard if boarded or something akin to the federal laws that would be applicable to transport on planes and trains? Good question though I never bothered to ask. The captain of a vessel could also refuse to transport the firearm on his ship as some airline pilots do.

Edit: 18 USC 2277 may be applicable since they are a registered passenger service

Last edited:

Hevymetal

Hmm...

When I went I took a Shepler's ferry, not a word said. Just walked right on the boat.

I did have a police encounter inside of Fort Mackinac though... during a rifle demonstration... lol.

The audio isn't very good but there is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MuevMpDU24

Yeah I saw that video a while back, funny they are shooting rifles and the cops are worried about your pistol. I did pass 3 MIPD and not a word was said about my pistol I OCed the entire time while I was on the island even going inside the Grand Hotel. Thanks for blazing the trail ahead of me :)

I OCed while purchasing my tickets for the ferry so I figured I should probably make mention of it to them before boarding. I had called prior to going cause I had heard several opinions on taking it on the ferry and they said it would be no big deal just let them know when you were getting your tickets. As I stated the captain was extremely professional and cool about it I believe he was very pro 2A which helps alot.

Were you OCing on the ferry?

Yooper

Looks like some of the tourists ("with that he said "..F*** You A**hole", shook his head gave me the finger and walked away..") were more upset with you than the people who actually live in the U.P. I guess I'm not surprised.

Hevymetal

Looks like some of the tourists ("with that he said "..F*** You A**hole", shook his head gave me the finger and walked away..") were more upset with you than the people who actually live in the U.P. I guess I'm not surprised.

Very true, the guy at the store in Paradise and I had a conversation for a bit while I was waiting on the wife and he said it's pretty common to see people carrying up there :) especially during hunting season where you may see several people with rifles, shotguns and pistols in the store at the same time. The acceptance of firearms, snowmobiles and the general friendly nature of most people in the UP I encountered, not to mention the beautiful scenery, makes me seriously think about retiring up north when the time comes. It also makes me wonder what the hell took me so long to get up there in the first place.

Evil Creamsicle

Yeah I saw that video a while back, funny they are shooting rifles and the cops are worried about your pistol. I did pass 3 MIPD and not a word was said about my pistol I OCed the entire time while I was on the island even going inside the Grand Hotel. Thanks for blazing the trail ahead of me :)

I OCed while purchasing my tickets for the ferry so I figured I should probably make mention of it to them before boarding. I had called prior to going cause I had heard several opinions on taking it on the ferry and they said it would be no big deal just let them know when you were getting your tickets. As I stated the captain was extremely professional and cool about it I believe he was very pro 2A which helps alot.

Were you OCing on the ferry?
yeah i was OC on the ferry. i figured car boat whatever CPL should cover me.

Hevymetal

yeah i was OC on the ferry. i figured car boat whatever CPL should cover me.

I could very well be wrong but I think (yeah I know it gets me in trouble every time) USCG registered passenger boats such as ferries and cruise ships where you walk onboard fall under a different set of laws as opposed to a personal watercraft owned by you or a friend. But I am unfamiliar with federal maritime laws. Figured I'd rather be safe then sorry. Turned out to be no big deal to check it though. Might be a good question to research for future reference.

Packer fan

The UP is a great place to retire as long as you can handle the cold and snow. It's not that the winters are real cold, the coldest I've seen was -40, but it last so long. I've also seen Januaries where it never reached above 0. I lived a few years on 10 mile in Dafter just south of the Soo. I believe the average snow fall is 110" I maybe wrong on that but you can look that up if you wish. Also anything West of Newberrry is Packer country FYI.

I'm glad you were able to OC all over the UP. My wife and I have OC, and still do when we go back to visit, many times up there. She had her first OC experience in the Soo.

As far as the locks, I've asked the guards there if I was walking around town and wanted to stop in and have a look see if I could just check my firearm with them and they politely told me no I'd have to secure it in the vehicle. I know or a least knew some of the guards personally.

All thanks to those who've gone before for the easy experience of OC.

Your post about the ferry to Mackinaw Island was helpful. I've only visited the island once the entire time I lived there.

I loved the statement made by the Japanese father everyone in this country has guns it's like the old west, classic. I also thought it funny that they carry knives and swords for protection, are they saying guns aren't the reason for crimes? Don't tell that to the Brady Campaign.

I'll be heading up that way again in September. Sadly, in the sate I live in OC is very questionable at best so I have to travel to OC and there are three states I look forward traveling in Wi, Mi, and Ky. I know for fact I won't be harassed by PD in those three states.

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

It is a different life up here and I recommend retiring up here, I did. I moved here to finish out my last 15 years of working then retired here. I live just south of the bridge by a few minutes, and love it.

The reaction of the middle finger idiot happens almost 100% of the time by tourists from down state, although it is rare to see them do other than give dirty looks or glaring at you. I find it comical, that they come up here for the freedom, and tell us how we should live? Odd.

Next time wave as you drive by :p

Very true, the guy at the store in Paradise and I had a conversation for a bit while I was waiting on the wife and he said it's pretty common to see people carrying up there :) especially during hunting season where you may see several people with rifles, shotguns and pistols in the store at the same time. The acceptance of firearms, snowmobiles and the general friendly nature of most people in the UP I encountered, not to mention the beautiful scenery, makes me seriously think about retiring up north when the time comes. It also makes me wonder what the hell took me so long to get up there in the first place.

Bailenforcer

It gets cold up here but it's a dry cold not that miserable damp cold of southeast Michigan and Detroit. The cold up here isn't as bad even if it's much colder than Detroit's cold.

As you know having a snow mobile or skiing makes winter a lot of fun up here....

The UP is a great place to retire as long as you can handle the cold and snow. It's not that the winters are real cold, the coldest I've seen was -40, but it last so long. I've also seen Januaries where it never reached above 0. I lived a few years on 10 mile in Dafter just south of the Soo. I believe the average snow fall is 110" I maybe wrong on that but you can look that up if you wish. Also anything West of Newberrry is Packer country FYI.

I'm glad you were able to OC all over the UP. My wife and I have OC, and still do when we go back to visit, many times up there. She had her first OC experience in the Soo.

As far as the locks, I've asked the guards there if I was walking around town and wanted to stop in and have a look see if I could just check my firearm with them and they politely told me no I'd have to secure it in the vehicle. I know or a least knew some of the guards personally.

All thanks to those who've gone before for the easy experience of OC.

Your post about the ferry to Mackinaw Island was helpful. I've only visited the island once the entire time I lived there.

I loved the statement made by the Japanese father everyone in this country has guns it's like the old west, classic. I also thought it funny that they carry knives and swords for protection, are they saying guns aren't the reason for crimes? Don't tell that to the Brady Campaign.

I'll be heading up that way again in September. Sadly, in the sate I live in OC is very questionable at best so I have to travel to OC and there are three states I look forward traveling in Wi, Mi, and Ky. I know for fact I won't be harassed by PD in those three states.

Bailenforcer

it's usually the case and rarely does anyone up here try and tell people what to do, it's almost always people who don't live anywhere near here than try to change others up her to fit their ideal utopia. Funny thing is, if it is that perfect where they come from, them why do they flock up here every chance they get?