• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st Post

godspel-13

Good blistering Sunday afternoon ladies and gentleman. It is a pleasure to have found your site and an honor to join.

For the premiere post, I would like share a great experience at a newer Williamsburg restaurant called "au bon pain."

I took my mother and wife out to eat, as the food there is delicious. After we got our meal, I noticed an unarmed, security officer walking around the parking lot in the vicinity of my F-150. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and was going to hit the panic button just to mess with the guy. As luck would have it, the son of a gun started looking in my truck. Oh my gosh! Would he see, in plain view, the two tennis rackets and card game "Apples to Apples" in the back seat???

I didn't want some strange dude checking out my truck talking on his walkie talkie. So I went out the side door yelled at the guy, "What the heck are you doing?" He rambled on about how there was a "crazy man" who had been harassing people at the Williamsburg Pottery earlier that day and drove a similar vehicle to mine. That's cool... Legit reason. I told him I wasn't the guy and respectfully, he apologized profusely to me.

As it turned out, the shift manager of "au bon pain" was the one who called the security in. After discovering what happened, she apologized sincerely to me. I mentioned about having a gun on my person and she replied: "We respect Virginia's laws that allow citizens to carry firearms in eating establishments."

I was floored! Unlike the Buffalo Wild Wings, which only allows uniformed officers to open carry, this restaurant is respectful and accommodating to Virginia law and common sense.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon everyone. Don't melt. Look forward to posting, arguing, and hopefully meeting some of yinz (Pittsburgh lingo) at a breakfast soon!

-Erik aka godspel-13

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Good blistering Sunday afternoon ladies and gentleman. It is a pleasure to have found your site and an honor to join.

For the premiere post, I would like share a great experience at a newer Williamsburg restaurant called "au bon pain."

I took my mother and wife out to eat, as the food there is delicious. After we got our meal, I noticed an unarmed, security officer walking around the parking lot in the vicinity of my F-150. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and was going to hit the panic button just to mess with the guy. As luck would have it, the son of a gun started looking in my truck. Oh my gosh! Would he see, in plain view, the two tennis rackets and card game "Apples to Apples" in the back seat???

I didn't want some strange dude checking out my truck talking on his walkie talkie. So I went out the side door yelled at the guy, "What the heck are you doing?" He rambled on about how there was a "crazy man" who had been harassing people at the Williamsburg Pottery earlier that day and drove a similar vehicle to mine. That's cool... Legit reason. I told him I wasn't the guy and respectfully, he apologized profusely to me.

As it turned out, the shift manager of "au bon pain" was the one who called the security in. After discovering what happened, she apologized sincerely to me. I mentioned about having a gun on my person and she replied: "We respect Virginia's laws that allow citizens to carry firearms in eating establishments."

I was floored! Unlike the Buffalo Wild Wings, which only allows uniformed officers to open carry, this restaurant is respectful and accommodating to Virginia law and common sense.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon everyone. Don't melt. Look forward to posting, arguing, and hopefully meeting some of yinz (Pittsburgh lingo) at a breakfast soon!

-Erik aka godspel-13

Welcome aboard. Good to hear what the restaurant manager said to you.

Psst. This Virginia. We say y'all down here. But you're still welcome... glad to have you here.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the site!
I'll be sure to stop at the restaurant next time I'm in the area. (A couple of times a week )

I'll spend what I didn't at Bodo's ts afternoon:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to OCDO and what passes for polite, reasoned discourse in the Virginia forum.

Thanks for the tip on one more good place to go in Williamsburg. If it ever cools down I'll try to get there for lunch - anything that really stands out on the menu?

Kudos on dealing with the rent-a-cop. Kind of a strange way to look for a crazy guy, given the totality of the situation. But then again, only a nut would hide in a locked vehicle in the middle of a heat wave.

You are just about on the line between Richmond and Hampton Roads for meet&greet events. But we here in Richmond hold a regular, historical, traditional monthly dinner and you can pretty much set your calendar to the second Tuesday for when it will occur. Please feel free to come on out and put faces to names.

And I see that none of the preceeding posters mentioned joining VCDL - go to www.vcdl.org and join via the web site or come out to the next gun show and fill out the paperwork there. In the meantime, sign up for the free VA-ALERT newsletter at the web site.

stay safe.

godspel-13

Thank you to all. Just so you know, I have been in Virginia since I was six.. my accent gives that away. I continue to claim my lineage back to Pittsburgh for one primary reason... Steelers football baby!

As for a menu recommendation, I highly recommend the Thai Peanut Chicken in either salad or wrap. The salad is enormous and the wrap was busting out the seams. It is kind of like a Panera Bread, but I like the selection much better.

Thank you as well for the recommendation to join VCDL, skidmark. I was actually talking to my wife about going to one of the Richmond breakfasts or dinners that you guys have. Sounds like a blast!

I am excited about expressing my 2A freedoms with you guys and meeting others of like mind. And of course, I am always up for NFL trash talk football... nothing better!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There is a dinner on Tuesday.
It's posted in the stickies at the top of the page. Come join the group but make sure to introduce yourself. I forget to ask who the new fellow is nd the conversations get lively.

godspel-13

1. Why?
2. Would she not see it? and if you were CC, then re-read #1

Hey ed. I mentioned the firearm on my person, OC, for the specific reason that I did not want them to mistake me for this psychotic individual and get guns drawn on me by Williamsburg's finest, who were presently circling the parking lot (no longer security officials). It was during our conversation when I had previously asked her to be cautious about her suspicions. I believe she did the right thing in calling security, as she was a victim of harassment. However, from her comments, my physique is starkly different from the prior individual. I may have been in handcuffs out of mistaken identity because of my pick up truck and the firearm would have added another potentially embarrassing element to this situation...

By the way, this was also around mother's day, in which I was still discovering some of my rights under our constitution and state laws and did not want to alarm her.

I have also observed over the past couple months that not everyone notices my firearm. I was in my parents house several months ago OC and my mom did not notice for several hours until she asked, "Is that your revolver?" The same was true at my sister-in-law's house yesterday.

If you have any suggestions about handling the matter differently, I would love to hear them from you. I also plan on sending you an envelope and green backs for some of the cards you have made up.

BTW, I do not mention my handgun in public unless inquired about in a respectful manner. Plus, I felt it germane to this particular situation. I have only OCed for about 4 months and I am still learning a lot, especially from this site. Thanks again!

Erik

godspel-13

There is a dinner on Tuesday.
It's posted in the stickies at the top of the page. Come join the group but make sure to introduce yourself. I forget to ask who the new fellow is nd the conversations get lively.

I think I will show up and start asking you guys every annoying question in the book... is it real? is it loaded? are you a cop? do you have a permit? do you think you are billy bad butt? is this the wild west? don't you trust people? and on and on and on...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think I will show up and start asking you guys every annoying question in the book... is it real? is it loaded? are you a cop? do you have a permit? do you think you are billy bad butt? is this the wild west? don't you trust people? and on and on and on...

Go ahead..:lol:

Skidmark will give you the history of the gun, gun powder, freedom and how many stitches Betsy used in the first flag.

I'll point a camera at you and make the smart a&& remark of the day.

Grapeshot is the diplomat and will convert you.

Others vary:lol:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
You will not out-talk skidmark and grapeshot.

:lol:

The dinner outing this group has are always a great time.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
All we ask is that you DO NOT ask Grapeshot if he knows that his hammer is cocked back! Whatever you do or say, DO NOT mention that!

Oh! And, please Brer' Fox, do not throw me in that briar patch.

A while ago we had a guy new to Virginia and guns and OCing that was like a little puppy, yapping and sticking his nose into everything. He was fun. Come on down and play! (He managed to hold on during a rather steep learning curve and turned out semi-sorta OK.)

stay safe.

Steeler-gal

Welcome! Good to know Au Bon Pain's policy.

Welcome aboard. Good to hear what the restaurant manager said to you.

Psst. This Virginia. We say y'all down here. But you're still welcome... glad to have you here.

Just for the record, those of us from The Burgh never convert to y'all. We always say yinz. :p

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Last edited:

scouser

Go ahead..:lol:

Skidmark will give you the history of the gun, gun powder, freedom and how many stitches Betsy used in the first flag.

I'll point a camera at you and make the smart a&& remark of the day.

Grapeshot is the diplomat and will convert you.

Others vary:lol:

Logan will leave you in no doubt when he is tired (of your company or, much more likely, just plain old tired), he'll start shouting "bye" .. "bye" .. "BYE", but what else can you expect from a 2 year old :lol:

Welcome to OCDO, enjoy the time you spend here, and definitely check out VCDL

Tanner

All we ask is that you DO NOT ask Grapeshot if he knows that his hammer is cocked back! Whatever you do or say, DO NOT mention that!

Oh! And, please Brer' Fox, do not throw me in that briar patch.

A while ago we had a guy new to Virginia and guns and OCing that was like a little puppy, yapping and sticking his nose into everything. He was fun. Come on down and play! (He managed to hold on during a rather steep learning curve and turned out semi-sorta OK.)

stay safe.

well at least I know what you really think about me skid!
And reguards to the grapeshot with the hammer back thing... I would be worried if it wasent cocked!

paramedic

I know many have said it....But again welcome to OCDO. I remember when I was new at OC, had so many question. I learned so much just from reading the postings on here. I had an incident with PWC LEO where he tried to disarm me, had it not been for what I learned from OCDO, I would have handed the weapon over without any resistance, I stood my ground and he finally gave up. Just be forwarned that sometimes the opinons can get a little harsh, but for the most part it is good nature. But if you read and pay attention you wil learn alot.

As far as NFL trash talk....the steelers thing....I will try not to hold that against.

godspel-13

I know many have said it....But again welcome to OCDO. I remember when I was new at OC, had so many question. I learned so much just from reading the postings on here. I had an incident with PWC LEO where he tried to disarm me, had it not been for what I learned from OCDO, I would have handed the weapon over without any resistance, I stood my ground and he finally gave up. Just be forwarned that sometimes the opinons can get a little harsh, but for the most part it is good nature. But if you read and pay attention you wil learn alot.

As far as NFL trash talk....the steelers thing....I will try not to hold that against.

And thank you for the warm welcome. I found this forum a couple months ago when I began researching the gun laws in Virginia. I found it to be vague at best when you searched the government sites. However, the front page of OCDO was so informative. And of course, one thing led to another and hear I am!