• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter with Louisville LEO's, negative, then positive

kywildcat581

I do stand corrected... thanks...

(15) The licensee shall carry the license at all times the licensee is carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon and shall display the license upon request of a law enforcement officer. Violation of the provisions of this
www.handgunlaw.us 6
subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars ($25), payable to the clerk of the District Court, but no court costs shall be assessed.

learn something new every day!

c1ogden

Good job Jack!

I'll make one suggestion - when he asks why you are carrying a gun I always answer "For the same reason you are".

And the older cop was wrong. The rookie wasn't "bordering" on harassment, he blew past that line when he demanded your permit/ID without reasonable suspicion that you were committing a crime. He was well into the realm of harassment and had clearly crossed into abuse of authority!

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Good job Jack!

I'll make one suggestion - when he asks why you are carrying a gun I always answer "For the same reason you are".

And the older cop was wrong. The rookie wasn't "bordering" on harassment, he blew past that line when he demanded your permit/ID without reasonable suspicion that you were committing a crime. He was well into the realm of harassment and had clearly crossed into abuse of authority!

He wouldn't have to show his "permit" or license as it is known in Ky even if he was detained with RAS for committing a crime because no permit/license is required to OC in Ky. He would have to show I.d., or identify himself, but would not have to show any carry permit/license. However, since he was doing nothing illegal and the officer had no RAS to believe otherwise, the officer was illegally detaining him and harassing him for exercising his rights. The officer of course can walk up to him and ask questions, but he would be under no obligation to stay. However, do to the dialogue of the conversation it is obvious the officer is not allowing him to leave the area, and therefore he was illegally detained. The officer responsible for this stop would do well to learn from the experience, before he runs into someone who will sue him in Federal court for violating their rights.

WhistlingJack

Audio recording?

Sadly I have no audio to give you, my cell phone was in my right pocket at the time and getting it out would have meant reaching past my gun, which didn't seem like a good idea under the circumstances, and I figured if I needed video of the incident I could subpoena the gas station's video records. Although you can be sure now I double check to make sure it is in the left pocket.

beakman

Ditto

Good job, I would also say I would send a copy of what happened to the Chief of Police with a thank you to the veteran cop for know the laws and restraining the rookie from costing the city a lot of money. For if the rookie had arrested you, then you would have had to file a wrongful arrest and harrasment lawsuits against the city.

Praise the veteran officer while making the chief aware he needs to train his rookies better.

I'd also call the department and ask for the name of the officer who heads of the training department, and also the officer in charge of the academy, and send a description of the incident to them. This is just the sort of real-life situation that should be presented as a training aid and discussion point with the cadets. Had Junior had this discussion at the academy, he wouldn't have made an ass of himself.

Congrats on keeping a cool head and standing your ground.

FrostyKRU

Great job! I have had only one encounter while OC and it was in my driveway. All three officers were very nice, not one of them asked about my pistol. They did like the 6 foot flag hanging on my house and complimented me on it! After a few laughs I did find out the reason they were hanging out in front of my house at 5 in the morning and I told them I needed to get to work and we were all on our way! Keep up the good fight everyone!