Thread: Dead relative and handgun transfer

Dead relative and handgun transfer

My uncle just recently died a couple of days ago on the 5th and he has a handgun that his son doesn't want and his fiance doesn't want it either...what do I have to do to get it registered in my name?

There is no gun registration in Missouri. My sympathies to your family.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

+1 to what kcgunfan said above. Missouri does not have a gun registry, nor is there any kind of federal gun registry. If the rightful heirs of the gun decide to gift it to you, then it's all yours.

oh ok so me and him don't need to fill out any paperwork?

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    There is no gun registration in Missouri. My sympathies to your family.

thanks a lot we really need it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile314 View Post
    oh ok so me and him don't need to fill out any paperwork?
    There is no paperwork you could folk out even if you wanted too. Well, you could do an FFL transfer if you have more money than sense.

oh ok because I just want to cover my back just in case I have to use it (hope that I don't) and it's not registered in my name

Check your PM. Chig

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile314 View Post
    oh ok because I just want to cover my back just in case I have to use it (hope that I don't) and it's not registered in my name
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to "register a handgun in your name" in Missouri. Such a registry, as has already been pointed out above, simply does not exist. Fear not, in the unfortunate event that you ever "have to use it", the gun will be seized as evidence and you won't see it again until the case is closed, but that has nothing to do with any kind of "registration".

....nor would I want that pistol back.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to "register a handgun in your name" in Missouri. Such a registry, as has already been pointed out above, simply does not exist. Fear not, in the unfortunate event that you ever "have to use it", the gun will be seized as evidence and you won't see it again until the case is closed, but that has nothing to do with any kind of "registration".
    ^^^^
    Exactly!!!

Many people get confused with the FFL check as 'registering your gun'; when it is not registering your gun. The FFL has to maintain that form for a specific time frame and it can be reviewed by approved authorities; but it doesn't register it to you in a national or state database. Case in point, you could purchase the gun through a FFL and two weeks later, sell it to someone else.....no paperwork needs to be completed.

Now, some will get info from the buyer, ie drivers license, name, ssn, dob..etc...just to prove who they sold it to if the proper authorities come asking questions..however, it is not required.

Buy the gun from them and go down the road, unless you are unlawful to own a firearm, then you have other issues.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain