Thread: 2012 Law Regarding Employee's Possession of Weapon

2012 Law Regarding Employee's Possession of Weapon

I am inquiring on a law that was being looked at by the South Dakota State Legislature this past session that would prohibit employers from banning employees from having possession of weapons in their vehicles while on the employers property.

I am specifically looking for any knowledge of a state, county, or local employee leaving their weapon in a vehicle while on the premises of that state, county, or local government work-site. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

SD-LEO

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    To what regard - to what end do you seek such information?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by SD-LEO View Post
    I am inquiring on a law that was being looked at by the South Dakota State Legislature this past session that would prohibit employers from banning employees from having possession of weapons in their vehicles while on the employers property.

I am specifically looking for any knowledge of a state, county, or local employee leaving their weapon in a vehicle while on the premises of that state, county, or local government work-site. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

SD-LEO
    The law that you are inquiring about was back in Feb 2010. It was shot down. Is the consitutional carry bill what you were thinking? That was passed by the state senate but vetoed by the Governor. There is no law that I know of. Here is some Info that may help you

The permit is valid throughout South Dakota except IN any licensed on-sale malt beverage or alcoholic
    beverage establishment that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of malt or alcoholic
    beverages (SDCL 23-7-8.1); any county courthouse as defined in SDCL 22-14-22; or any elementary or
    secondary schools (SDCL 13-32-7). The permit is not transferable from one person to another (SDCL 23-7-
    8.3).

Look like the weapon has to be in these establishments. As long as the Weapon is openly displayed in the vehicle or concealed(with valid permit) there isn't anything to be charged. But I am not a lawyer so it is only my Interpetation and only that.
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.