• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hugs That Kill

hjmoosejaw

A tragic occurrence. There are arguments as to what degree of readiness people should carry. IMO, it should have been made PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for this to happen.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Personal opinion? There's more to this story than is being told. A properly holstered modern handgun is not, in my experience, just going to "go off" unless and until someone pulls the trigger. There is also the possibility that this officer did not have his weapon holstered. In that case, he needs to face charges. My reasoning? As a police officer, he should be held to a higher standard of professionalism.

I do not see how being "hugged from behind" could make this happen unless one or the other had a hand on the weapon and put a finger on the trigger. Would love to know the brand and model of the weapon. That might, and I say "might", clear up a few points, but not all.

Some of you folks who have far more experience than I do might want to chime in on this.

zoom6zoom

According to other sources, it was a S&W M&P .40, IWB holster covered by his shirt. Even with mexican carry of a defective junker, I don't see how someone hugging you from behind gets one in the upper chest....

unless you were surprised, turned, drew, and shot her.
An AD of a holstered sidearm is more likely to strike the carrier.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

A lawyer for the Detroit Police Officers Association said it was just a "freak accident". The officer was dancing with his wife when a woman unknown to the couple came up from behind him and 'tugged at his waist."

Hmmmm...
On the one hand we have an inside-the-waistband holster, covering the firearm's trigger, covered by a trouser waistband, covered by a shirt.
On the other hand we have..... a wife and a strange woman.

But that's just speculation and innuendo on my part.

SFCRetired

A lawyer for the Detroit Police Officers Association said it was just a "freak accident". The officer was dancing with his wife when a woman unknown to the couple came up from behind him and 'tugged at his waist."

Hmmmm...
On the one hand we have an inside-the-waistband holster, covering the firearm's trigger, covered by a trouser waistband, covered by a shirt.
On the other hand we have..... a wife and a strange woman.

But that's just speculation and innuendo on my part.

I think you're closer to the mark than I really want to believe. Possibly the husband covering for his wife's actions? Who knows? Doubt if we'll ever get the truth on this one.

Michigander

According to other sources, it was a S&W M&P .40, IWB holster covered by his shirt. Even with mexican carry of a defective junker, I don't see how someone hugging you from behind gets one in the upper chest....

unless you were surprised, turned, drew, and shot her.
An AD of a holstered sidearm is more likely to strike the carrier.

If it'd had a trigger job, and if he was using a horribly defective shoulder holster, it's far fetched, but not impossible. Still his fault, either way.

Yard Sale

I was thinking his shirt caught between the trigger and holster, taking up most of the trigger travel. Then the hug caused enough movement to break the trigger. What I can't fathom is a lung shot from a hip holster. Fouling a shoulder holster with a shirt seems less likely.

Michigander

According to other sources, it was a S&W M&P .40, IWB holster covered by his shirt.

Can you link to these stories? And is that all they say?

Even considering the cheapest possible junk of a worn out holster being used as poorly as possible on the belt, with the most extreme freak accident, it does seem beyond absurd that it would be as simple as hug+holstered gun=blast to upper chest. So yeah, more information would be nice.

Ca Patriot

For all the men out there who want to off their wife or girlfriend this is going to be a great cover story for them................ "your honor, she hugged me from behind and i have no idea how she got 2 shots to the head"

Fallschirjmäger

"...Goldpaugh, who spent several hours with the officer after the shooting, said the veteran beat patrolman was hosting a party at his home and was dancing with his wife when Miller came up behind him and tugged at his waist.
“And the gun went off,” Goldpaugh said. “It’s a fluke accidental shooting.”
The weapon, a department-issued, 40-caliber Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol [M&P series], was in a holster worn inside the officer’s waistband and was covered by his shirt, Goldpaugh said.
Goldpaugh said the physical evidence from the incident corroborated the officer’s account of the shooting. The officer did not know the woman, who attended the party with other guests, Goldpaugh said.) - Freep.com

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

For the trigger to be pulled the deceased women and officer would have to be making some advanced physical contact. He was married.

Ca Patriot

The party was at his house. All of the witnesses are his friends and his wife friends.

If this had happened at a popular night club and there were independant witnesses it would be more believable.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"he off-duty holster the officer carried was soft enough for the trigger to be manipulated."

What holster is that soft? His pocket?

Seriously, this is just a sad story.

Fallschirjmäger

Neoprene IWB holster:
Gunshop guy, "How do you manipulate this, I haven't figured it out."
News reporter, "How do you shoot someone in the chest with a holster that's pointed down?"

If you guys were among the only ones 'Professional enough' to carry in Detroit then maybe you'd know. Until then, stop trying to be as smart as they are and just take their word. It's not like they have anything to gain by covering for one of their officers.