Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: OC'ing at the movies this weekend

  1. #1
    Regular Member GTShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    111

    OC'ing at the movies this weekend

    Had a very productive Saturday,

    Went to the shootist and fired a couple hundred rounds on the 9mm and on the 22LR. Guys at that locations are pretty cool. Place could use a new coat of paint and better ventilation but who's looking right? I didnt really understand their rule about calling the Range Master if you have a Miss feed on your weapon but its not a big deal.

    After that my wife had told me she needed me to go to the bank so for the 1st time I went into my bank OC'ing. :S I wont lie, I was a bit nervous. I was asking my self when the patrons would hit the floor and a cashier would hit the panic botton ( I have a big imagination) anyhow, everything went just fine, a couple of people noticed my side arm but that was about it. No issue what so ever at the Wells Fargo Bank over by Wadsworth and Alameda in Lakewood.

    In the afternoon I took my wife out to the movies (The new Snow white movie, I know its a chic flick but the villan was pretty hot). When we're about to leave I decide to hit the restroom. As Im washing my hands an older gentlemen approaches me and says: I hope you're a police officer.............

    I tell him no I am not, why? He says: because of your..... and points at my Ruger. I replied back well its a right that the constitution gives me to keep and bear arms Sir (I didnt realize being comfronted about my side arm would also raise my heart beat, I know Im such a newbie). His response was well at least you should conceal it.... At that point I realized he was not interested in learning about Open Carry but he just felt uncomfortable with me OC my side arm. So instead of trying to chit chat with him in a restroom full of people I just told him...... Why? I dont have to and just left at that point.

    I find it pretty amazing how people are just willing to give up their rights and then feel uncomfortable/upset when I decide to excersise mine.

    Overall it was a good weekend to OC.
    Last edited by GTShooter; 07-09-2012 at 11:26 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by GTShooter View Post
    Had a very productive Saturday,

    Went to the shootist and fired a couple hundred rounds on the 9mm and on the 22LR. Guys at that locations are pretty cool. Place could use a new coat of paint and better ventilation but who's looking right? I didnt really understand their rule about calling the Range Master if you have a Miss feed on your weapon but its not a big deal.
    Not to derail the primary focus of your day, but that does seem like a bit of a deal. Do you run the chance of being reprimanded or removed if you don't (call the range master)? How do you practice clearing a malfunction, something that it isn't a bad habit to practice every time you're at the range? What if you clear it as an instinctual response?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by mwaterous View Post
    Not to derail the primary focus of your day, but that does seem like a bit of a deal. Do you run the chance of being reprimanded or removed if you don't (call the range master)? How do you practice clearing a malfunction, something that it isn't a bad habit to practice every time you're at the range? What if you clear it as an instinctual response?
    May be a CYA liability shield against a wrongful death suit if a GWAG shoots himself looking down his barrel.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    672
    A new shooter may not know how to properly clear a malfunction. I imagine the rule is in place to make sure such things are done safely.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    May be a CYA liability shield against a wrongful death suit if a GWAG shoots himself looking down his barrel.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand acronyms. Pretty much our whole language has turned into acronyms, so I've gotten far too lazy to look them all up.

    I'm more curious what happens if you do clear one yourself, or if you can get in trouble for practicing clearing them. I tend to drop snap caps into random magazines just to catch myself up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    A new shooter may not know how to properly clear a malfunction. I imagine the rule is in place to make sure such things are done safely.
    Gotcha, but where does the unsafe line get drawn? I would hope a person who has gotten as far as loading a fresh magazine and racking the slide had at least heard of the potential mishaps that could occur. Finger off the trigger and all that.

    PS: I apologize again, not trying to derail your thread!! I'm just curious, and there's next to nobody in New Mexico so I'm invading Colorado.
    Last edited by mwaterous; 07-09-2012 at 03:54 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by mwaterous View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't understand acronyms. Pretty much our whole language has turned into acronyms, so I've gotten far too lazy to look them all up.
    GWAG = Goof with a gun. People who give us a bad name.

    I tend to drop snap caps into random magazines just to catch myself up.
    I'll have to try that.

  7. #7
    Regular Member GTShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    111
    Its part of the topic I guess...... Lol no worries.

    From what the Range Master told me it was by law they had to clear jams for you. I had one jam and called him. Not sure what would happen if I didnt. The guy next to me also called him about 3 times.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Bellum_Intus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rush, Colorado
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by GTShooter View Post
    Its part of the topic I guess...... Lol no worries.

    From what the Range Master told me it was by law they had to clear jams for you. I had one jam and called him. Not sure what would happen if I didnt. The guy next to me also called him about 3 times.
    Wow..that'd be tough for me as it's rather instinctual now for me to clear without thinking :S .. Too much training.. (yea, I have yet another class tonight for the Rangers lol )

    --Rob
    Kenaz Tactical Group

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    "Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They [socialists] always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
    --Margaret Thatcher

  9. #9
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    The last movie theater that I patronized was showing " Dances With Wolves". What does that tell you ?

    If I was absolutely compelled to attend a movie theater - I wouldn't OC.

    If I am ever accosted in a men's room ANYWHERE over my armed condition, my response will probably be quite blunt , and to the point -

    " I am in here to tend to MY OWN BUSINESS - how's about you do the same, my friend."

    That's just about how that dialogue would have played out.
    "Extremism ALWAYS brings about its own destruction " ( Sir Edmund Burke)

    Jim Sherwood

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    GWAG = Goof with a gun. People who give us a bad name.
    Ah, gotcha. And CYA is Cover Your Atticus. I admit, I looked it up...


    Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    I'll have to try that.
    I try to make sure I'll never be caught with my slide open. Er, fly down... or... you know what I mean.

  11. #11
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by mwaterous View Post
    and there's next to nobody in New Mexico so I'm invading Colorado.
    Howdy Pard!
    You're welcome around these parts. I often invade New Mexico by the virtue of going there now and again. My wife and I enjoy visiting Taos and Albuquerque.
    One of these days, I'd love to visit Roswell. That's another tale altogether.

    Meanwhile, curiosity and asking questions is entirely welcome around these parts. We all can learn from one another, and together, we build a stronger OC community.

    We have the same policy at my local range. Got a jam? Get the range master to deal with it.

    I personally don't, but while clearing the problem (which isn't often, BTW) I am smart enough to keep the muzzle pointed downrange while clearing the problem.
    The only problem I ever had was with my Ruger P-94. Otherwise, my other pistols all have worked flawlessly.

    The rule problly exists for new shooters more than seasoned folks. That's my guess anyhow.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  12. #12
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    If I am ever accosted in a men's room ANYWHERE over my armed condition, my response will probably be quite blunt ,
    Howdy Pard!
    Mine is a little tamer. If accosted about OC'ing by another citizen, my response is usually:
    "I'm an L.A.C. prepared to do extreme violence in defense of my life, or yours if it should come to that!"

    L.A.C. = Law Abiding Citizen.
    Or: Legally Armed Carrier.
    Or: Law Abiding Carrier.
    Or: Legally Armed Citizen.
    Or: Lawfully Authorized Carrier.

    Or any variation that may come to mind at the moment.

    Usually, when stating I am prepared to engage in extreme violence to defend my life or that of other innocent citizens, they are taken aback and rendered speechless.
    They don't actually expect such a firm response to their question.

    Mostly I try to engage them in a pleasant discussion, but much depends on their demeanor as to how I react.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by GTShooter View Post
    As Im washing my hands an older gentlemen approaches me and says: I hope you're a police officer.............

    I tell him no I am not, why? He says: because of your..... and points at my Ruger. I replied back well its a right that the constitution gives me to keep and bear arms Sir (I didnt realize being comfronted about my side arm would also raise my heart beat, I know Im such a newbie). His response was well at least you should conceal it.... At that point I realized he was not interested in learning about Open Carry but he just felt uncomfortable with me OC my side arm. So instead of trying to chit chat with him in a restroom full of people I just told him...... Why? I dont have to and just left at that point.
    Haven't had anyone tell me I needed to conceal it, yet. Just two who said it made them nervous/didn't like guns.

    Should anyone say something similar to me, I've thought of my canned response: "Welcome to Colorado! And forty-three other states in our Union!"
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  14. #14
    Regular Member eBratt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins Area, CO
    Posts
    271
    Not to derail the conversation, but I've had notoriously bad luck OCing at movie theaters. I'll admit though that I haven't tried in this state because of the bad run-ins in UT and WA. Are they generally OC friendly around here?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

    As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

  15. #15
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by eBratt View Post
    Not to derail the conversation, but I've had notoriously bad luck OCing at movie theaters. I'll admit though that I haven't tried in this state because of the bad run-ins in UT and WA. Are they generally OC friendly around here?
    Generally, yes. I intentionally avoid the ones located at the malls. I spend more time at the less expensive Elvis theatres. For first run I usually go to Belmar, here in Lakewood.

    There is still the drive-in...

  16. #16
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    The specific remarks directed towards GTshooter were interrogatory in form, and intended to elicit a defensive response. Such impolite behavior should never be rewarded.

    Sometimes NO RESPONSE is the best response - particularly in a men's room where intrusive remarks are generally frowned upon, and not well received. I am not bashful, but I really don't like to use public restrooms if they can be avoided, and I attend to MY OWN BUSINESS while using such facilities with deliberation and promptness in order to make room for the next users.

    I would not be generally receptive to being interrogated respective to any aspect of MY PERSONAL BUSINESS under such circumstances. I would be inclined to communicate my displeasure with a dismissive glance while proceeding about MY OWN PERSONAL BUSINESS. People who would assume such a posture are exhibiting evidence of an intrusive disregard for the privacy of others, as well as a superiority complex that should not be patronized.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 07-10-2012 at 11:16 AM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member GTShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    111
    Very true! At least he waited until I was finished......... you know, or maybe he was just more afraid of that weapon!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by GTShooter View Post
    I didnt really understand their rule about calling the Range Master if you have a Miss feed on your weapon but its not a big deal.
    This is reason 999 why I do not go to shooting ranges. Im not going to let a stranger tell me what's best for me and my gun, and Im certainly not about to let a stranger touch my gun. Shooting ranges suck.

  19. #19
    Regular Member GTShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    111
    Ive done shooting now in both the National Forest and in the Range, I will have to say Ranges are a bit more easy to do. They are close to town (less gas) I dont have to read maps to make sure Im in NF, dont have to scout out before start my shooting to make sure there is no one around. Although I will continue to go to NF to practice I will also include shooting ranges in my routine. Just my Opinion.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    140
    Iduatace, sistp

  21. #21
    Regular Member okiebryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Posts
    449
    "I certainly hope you are a police officer..."


    Didn't I tell you?
    "No"
    Then it must not have been any of your damn business.

    I probably won't react like this, but it sure would be tempting.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Bellum_Intus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rush, Colorado
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebryan View Post
    "I certainly hope you are a police officer..."


    Didn't I tell you?
    "No"
    Then it must not have been any of your damn business.

    I probably won't react like this, but it sure would be tempting.
    Tempting.. someone talking to me in the bathroom.. looking at my 'gun' .. my reply would have been.. "I hope you're straight" ..

    --Rob
    Kenaz Tactical Group

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    "Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They [socialists] always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
    --Margaret Thatcher

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by bellum_intus View Post
    tempting.. Someone talking to me in the bathroom.. Looking at my 'gun' .. My reply would have been.. "i hope you're straight" .

    *snort!!*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •