• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I open carry.

WhistlingJack

Well seeing as the point of this subset of the forum is a big ? about why open carry, I figured I would lay out my opinion on it.

First one must establish, be it CC or OC, why do you carry a gun to begin with?
In my case I do so for self-defense, some friends and other people who question me on it do not see the purpose. I am a fairly big guy, not overly tall but I have some big shoulders and a heavy frame. Many do not see someone starting something with someone my size. First I will point out one cannot rely on this as a deterrent, some people in fact get a kick out of doing harm to someone larger than themselves because they think it makes them some kind of tough-guy.

The Second point to keep in mind with this and is based on my personal experience, whether it was in school when I was younger, or hostile yuts in a questionable part of town where I must sometimes go, when someone does start something with someone my size, its never just one....its two, or three, or more, and quite frankly I'd prefer not to have to rely on my hand to hand skills against that many people if I am in situation where I must defend myself. (Especially if any of them are armed). One only needs to spend some time browsing news videos to see this pattern of multiple assailants against a lone individual is only becoming more common, and even if they do not assault you, some simply get a kick out of acting to intimidate.

These notes say nothing of the possibilities of encountering someone who is mentally ill, or someone who just has to have what's in your wallet for their next fix. But few people are truly mentally-ill enough, or hard-up enough for a hit, that they no longer see the danger posed by a firearm.

Now, why open carry vs. concealed carry?

I can only speak for myself on this, and my reasons are many. First, I refuse to obtain a permit to exercise a constitutional right or subset thereof. Don't get me wrong, the shall-issue nature of many CC states is a boon for firearms owners, but until all states are Constitutional Carry vs Concealed Carry, it is not far enough.

Second, I open carry as a deterrent. Concealed Carry is excellent for creating an element of surprise in a hostile situation. A visibly displayed firearm can prevent said situation from occuring to begin with. I know there is a rationale among CC'ers that you mark yourself as a target, be that as it may criminals are by in large part cowards. That is why they attack people in groups, that is why they attack women from behind, that is why they run when they see a gun. A visibly displayed firearm marks you as a potential threat to their life, and they will go somewhere else to cause trouble. I can't secure the entire world, but I can secure myself and those in my proximity.

Third, an armed society is a polite society.

Fourth, unless it is a point of contention for a private property owner, I simply do not care that some people may not like it. I see things every day that I do not like, and do not have to justify myself to anyone. I would rather carry and be thought insecure/paranoid/foolhearty, then not have a firearm should I find myself needing one.

Last edited: