• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Officer's Firearm Discharged While Receiving a Hug, Female hugger dead.

davidmcbeth

Banned
the police chief says that the investigation points to manipulation of the gun which the guy did not control

Ha! Unless he means that the guy's wife shot the old girl friend .... that's what I think happened. And that's the quickest dang murder investigation I have ever seen .... oh well, who polices the police? No one.

Kudos to the chief and his excellent homicide crime team!

Onto the next Detroit murder by a cop ... may as well write it into law that they can do this and save the taxpayers money.

lysander6

As usual, listen to the cops and believe the opposite and you will be that much closer to the truth.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ahem, I think she may be deceased.

Ahem, the deceased lady's family is the one who hired the lawyer. Purpose: To seek compensation for her death.

How that works, I have no idea. Compensation for what? Burial expenses, I can understand. But unless she was supporting her parents monetarily, or had children (she didn't), compensation for burial expenses and legal fees required to obtain the compensation is about all they'd be entitled to receive.

As for this article:

"Police have said preliminary findings show the shooting appears to be an accident..."

As people have mentioned here before, there's no such thing as an "accidental discharge" of a firearm. Firearms don't fire by themselves.

"A departmental investigation is being conducted by Detroit police’s internal affairs. Police did not release any additional details on the investigation today. They have not said the brand and make of the holster but said that it could have allowed the trigger of Parrish’s gun to be "manipulated" while it was stored."

If that's the case, then whoever selected such a crappy holster is negligent. At the very least, Officer Isaac Parrish is at least partly negligent for having accepted and worn such a holster. If he chose the holster himself, then he's fully negligent, even if Miller (the victim) was the one who inadvertently pulled the trigger.

The M&P 40 has an optional manual thumb safety, but "Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee Jr. said ... the department-issued gun didn’t have an external safety, but it had one in the trigger." I find that comment suspect, as the manual states "Each shot will be fired in the striker fire action mode. While holding the grip firmly, pull the trigger fully to the rear. As the trigger is drawn fully to the rear, the striker assembly is released, striking the cartridge primer." I could find no mention in the manual of any internal safety built into the trigger.

I suspect there may have been something, perhaps clothing, pulling on the trigger, and all it needed was a nudge. Either that or she was tugging on the pistol rather hard. Either way, it was definitely a freak accident.

There is one other possible explanation, but it's exceedingly unlikely. Cosmic rays can have energies of up to 10[sup]20[/sup] electron volts. That's more than 160 Million ergs. To put that into perspective, that's 16 watt-seconds, which is about 1/10[sup]th[/sup] the amount of energy initially delivered by your average defibrillator. It's enough to ignite the powder, but probably not enough to tunnel through the slide, steel barrel, and brass casing. This is far-fetched, right? And almost certainly without precedent. We've been using smokeless powder for decades without any such self-firings, so I wouldn't put money down on this theory.

AngryBodhi

I wish the rest of us had the advantage of being presumed innocent until proven guilty. When I was growing up, I heard tales of a magical place where everyone was afforded this opportunity. I hope I get to live there one day.

Mattimusmaximus

why was she on her knees?

Seems resaonable to me know knowing she was on her knees.

what kind of party was this? on her knees giving him a hug and she gets shot? either way why would you bring a gun to a party where people are going to be drinking or otherwise? i go to parties add if i drink it goes it the car i dont risk having my gun while plastered lol either way my heart goes out for the lady cause accidents like this can happen its all part of the role we play. "keep calm carry on"

markand

I haven't seen any details about the holster. That said, the only way this makes sense to me if there wasn't any holster involved at all and the gun was just being carried "in the waistband" sans holster. People have been known to carry that way, although I find it highly irresponsible. In that circumstance, with the gun just stuck in the waistband, its quite conceivable it could have been dislodged by a hug. Since she was hugging him from behind, I can easily see the muzzle pointing rearward and being discharged when the woman's finger entered the trigger guard.

EMNofSeattle

Chill out people it was accident, no big deal here

[video=youtube;3gWNkTNnCFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMBZMane0Ts&feature=related[/video]

<SARCASM OFF>

Let's get this straight, deceased subject was on her knees, from behind either "dancing with or giving him a hug" and she set off his gun being carried in his wasteband? and of course no word yet on whether Dr. Jack Daniels was the first responder. This stinks to high heaven. that musta been some "hug"

There is way too many details missing, and the official story relayed by the chief doesn't seem that plausible

Last edited: