• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had a...."moment" at my regular Sonic

Torquemaster69

As the title suggests, my friend and I had a little "moment" at the Sonic Drive-in in Security. It was late at night, and I was hanging out with my friend until they closed (They had about 15 minutes until close). As we were talking in the picnic patio area, we both noticed two gentlemen walking up with small backpacks, but something seemed kind of odd about them. One of them stopped by the sign behind me and the other walked through the car "stalls" slowly. I maneuvered in a way so that I could keep my eye on both of them, because like I said before, something was alittle off. While the one was standing next to the Sonic sign I looked at the other man that was walking up and noticed that he caught a glimpse of my pistol on my hip. He then gave an almost imperceptible shake of his head towards his buddy and they both walked off faster than they first walked up. I watched them leave and as they met up with each other, the one that noticed my pistol raised his hand and mimicked holding a gun. My buddy and I looked at each other and he said "I should have you hear more often whenever I close". We both laughed and I said "As long as I get paid in food to be your security guard." Just thought I'd share that with your guys. Mind you.....I never said a word or even made a gesture towards my pistol. I simply watched them

h20squirter

deterrence. i ******* love deterrence. this is the kind of situation in which there never will be any statistics. maybe you being a responsible citizen stopped something bad before it even happened, maybe it didn't, no way to know. But I know I feel safer every law abiding citizen whom openly conveys that they have the ability to protect themselves and those around them. great job!

Frantic84

This is EXACTLY the kind of reason I openly carry . . . events like this really help to open they eyes of family members that sometimes just don't get the whole openly carry scenario. . . I'm more worried about the mugger/thief than I am about a random crazed gunman, I would hope that my situational awareness would prepare me for either scenario.

CaptainHoneySmacks

This is why I want to OC. The goal is not to shoot someone, but rather to deter someone who would need to be shot from doing the action that would have lead to the shooting.

Adam Sebastian

The only bad part is this probably happens a lot and isnt documented. Bad guys get deterred because they see something or someone that would hinder their crime. Unfortunatly, most of the time it isn't noticable so we can not document it properly to show its effectivness. You probably even saved a life that night. Thanks for being an American.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The only bad part is this probably happens a lot and isn't documented......

To the OP:

PLEASE, as much as it is going to be a royal pain in the ass, please file a police report with every detail you can remember. Both of you should sign it as witnesses. It is obvious that these perps were up to cause illegal mischief and possible violence.

We are not disillusioned that the police will do anything but file the report, but that's what we need. We need more reports filed that show the presence of OC deterred a crime. You are in a position to add to these vital statistics, instead of just being one of us that laments how most of these go undocumented. Remember that filing reports is the best job that the police actually do!

Thank you.

Last edited: