• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado, the possibilities...

PikesPeakMtnMan

Lol.. I'm from Texas, supposedly ppl in Colorado hate us, though I've never experienced that :p

--Rob

My mom grew up in TX and my dad grew up in CA...and I was born here...who am I supposed to hate??:shocker:

Colorado Springs has a huge military and tourist presence, and I can't say I've seen any SERIOUS discrimination to those who aren't native...most here aren't and those here who are, are used to those who aren't....

jhco50

Well I posted in the Montana forum so I figured I should post here too. We're in New Mexico currently and looking at moving north, possibly a little bit, possibly a lot. We're researching both states as best we can, but it's always helpful to hear from the people who live there.

What do you think is the best place in Colorado to live? Remember I'm not just asking about gun laws, though those can factor in... I'm talking about quality of living, cost of living, the neighborhood folks, the neighborhood itself. What do you think of where you are in Colorado? Honesty; if you don't like where you are, we'd like to know why before we move there. :)

Pueblo would be the city with the lowest cost of living. I purchased a house there last year for $10,000. Of course it needs some work and we had to haul out 5 1/2 tons of trash from inside the house. :D

Colorado Springs is the second biggest city but affordable with an average cost of living. I live in a suburb of the Springs and my wife and I are very happy and relaxed.

Denver is a high dollar city. They wish to be internationally important. They do have a lot of entertainment and real good highways thanks to their ability to take everyone else s highway funds. :cry:

All three cities have their share of retail stores, restaurants, and amenities.

Bellum_Intus

Denver is a high dollar city. They wish to be internationally important. They do have a lot of entertainment and real good highways thanks to their ability to take everyone else s highway funds. :cry:

What are highways?.. I'm lucky to have my dirt road :p

--Rob

Bellum_Intus

My mom grew up in TX and my dad grew up in CA...and I was born here...who am I supposed to hate??:shocker:

Colorado Springs has a huge military and tourist presence, and I can't say I've seen any SERIOUS discrimination to those who aren't native...most here aren't and those here who are, are used to those who aren't....

LOL!!! yeah.. umm.. according to some big Colorado hates myth.. you're screwed :p

--Rob

M-Taliesin

Never heard of this problem. Examples of what to watch out for?

Howdy Mahk!
Wow.... I've lived in Colorado darn near all my life! I ain't heard of any such thing myself in more than 50 years of living here.
That's longer than most folks who hire people have even lived yet!

Never once have I been asked whether I was a native of Colorado on a job application or during an interview; which I consider myself to be as I've made it my home for half a century or better. In addition, I ain't entirely sure such a question would be legal to start with. But then again, I ain't one of those folks in a human resources capacity, so I wouldn't actually know for certain other than experientially.

I'm thunderstruck at where that notion came from though.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Colorado Springs has a huge military and tourist presence, and I can't say I've seen any SERIOUS discrimination to those who aren't native...

Howdy PPMM!
I do recall seeing a bumper sticker that was real popular about 30 or 40 years ago around these parts.
It said, "Welcome to Colorado! Now go home!!!"

Ah, thems were the days!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

F350

Do you need to find work or are you retired??

Wife and I recently moved to Grand junction and we are totally happy here. There are just enough liberals here to maintain a beautiful and vibrant downtown with plenty of activities.

You like fishing, a couple hours away is the top of "The Grand Mesa", worlds largest flat top mountain and home to 300+ lakes and also within a couple hours drive are several of the finest trout rivers in the country with several other lakes thrown in.

Hunting....most of the game management areas around here have unlimited over the counter elk tags.

River rafting... The Colorado and Gunnison rivers join in town with plenty of put ins on both rivers and just to the north the Colorado goes into Utah and the red rock cliffs of the Moab area .

Like farmers markets? The Grand Valley is know as the fruit and vegetable center of the west, the town of Palisade is just to the east, best peaches, plums, grapes (and vineyards) and vegetables around with local made jellys, jams and canded goods.

Hiking/mountain biking..... There are 10s of thousands of acres of public lands (including The Colorado National Monument) open for use, many with established bike/hiking trails.

I have open carried all summer and have had absolutely no problems of any kind. In fact encountered a city cop on Colorado Mesa University campus while OCing, all he did was make a comment about my Gunny Glock hat.

I'm a native (Southern) Hoosier (Indiana) and though I love the southern part of that state, I doubt I will ever leave here, cremate me and scatter me on the Grand Mesa 'cause I ain't leaving.

While house hunting we drove a rental car with Kalifonia plates and got a couple suspicious "You from Kalifonia?" questions, but once we explained it was a rental and we were natives of Iowa & Indiana people warmed up and the people are small town friendly.

Last edited:

mahkagari

The only ones from TX I don't care for are the hunters who come up here flashing their dollars to private land owners who used to let residents hunt for free.....

Hmm, I wonder how many WYians say similar about Coloradans.

Bellum_Intus

lol.. I have a friend in Yoder, WY w/ a few hundred acres.. she doesn't seem to mind me.. of course, I don't beg to hunt either :p

Funny.. Yoder, CO is right up the road from me, and I may end up moving to Yoder, WY someday hah.. odd.

--Rob

zach

Not sure as I would be very hard pressed to pay for a trespass permit without trying to work access for free first.

I'm sure it's not all Texans, but the ones I met have no problem bragging about paying up to 5k for trespass permits to shoot some dink deer they could have just gone and done for free on Nat'l Forest land.

Sig229

Wow.... I've lived in Colorado darn near all my life!
I ain't heard of any such thing myself in more than 50 years of living here.
That's longer than most folks who hire people have even lived yet!

Perhaps thast why you have never had that problem.

Never once have I been asked whether I was a native of Colorado on a job application or during an interview; which I consider myself to be as I've made it my home for half a century or better.

I was asked at job interviews such questions as "so, you just moved to CO did you?" and the one I hated most " I see you didnt go to school here in Colorado. On your resume is says here that you lived in Florida, Maryland and Virginia. Why did you decide to settle here in Colorado? Why did you move around so much?"

And these were jobs that I was well qualified for and had impeccable references.
Never heard back from them after the interview, and in some cases when I had friends that worked at those companies, they would tell me they hired someone who was "more familiar with the area".

It DOES happen.
Im sure it doesnt happen all over the state of Colorado, but it is a somewhat well known phenomenon among new CO residents.

I ain't entirely sure such a question would be legal to start with.
Blessings,

Why wouldnt it be a legal question? Its not a race , gender or age specific question.
Besides, when you fill out an application and attach a resume, all of your past geographic information is right there in black and white.

mahkagari

Why wouldnt it be a legal question? Its not a race , gender or age specific question.
Besides, when you fill out an application and attach a resume, all of your past geographic information is right there in black and white.

Where you were born skirts into non-legal questions, specifically national origin and/or ethnicity.

Discrimination against a recent transplant "unfamiliar with the area" is different than discriminating against someone for "not being born here". Personally, I'd be suspicious of someone potentially overqualified who just moved to the state with a history of moving around. My thought wouldn't be that they weren't "native", but that they just moved here as their latest stop, are looking for a job to pass the time, and are going to skip out on me after I've invested training in them as soon as something more interesting catches their eye. That will leave me right back to searching for applicants in 6 months.

Not saying that is your situation, and I'd certainly want to hear more of your story in an interview, but I can see a different perspective than "discriminating against non-natives".

Last edited:

JeepSeller

Im sure it doesnt happen all over the state of Colorado, but it is a somewhat well known phenomenon among new CO residents.

I never noticed it when I was a new Colorado resident. And, I actually DID move around quite a bit over the couple years I was there. From the big city of Denver to the one horse towns like Gypsum. And a few places in between. I never once felt alienated because I had relocated from Florida. In fact, I hope to relocate back to Colorado (permanently this time) in the near future.

I'll admit my experience was the better part of 15 years ago. I'd hate to think Colorado changed that much in such a short time. But, one of the many things I enjoyed about Colorado was the welcome feeling I got while there.

In fact, my very first hour on the ground in CO sold me on the state. I had flown to Denver to interview for temporary type job in the Lakewood area. Got to my hotel only to find that a button was hanging on by a thread on my dress shirt. Off I go to a nearby WalMart (It could have been a big ol' K-mart now that I think about it....I honestly don't recall) to find their crafts dept. in search of a needle and some thread. When I asked a passing employee where to find said sewing items, she didn't give me directions, she literally took me across the store to the exact location. A level of customer service I'm not sure I've ever seen at a WM (or K-Mart) here in Florida.

Even the Wendy's drive-thu employees where I nabbed a few quick meals took my orders in a clear voice, gave me my total, made eye contact, counted out my change, and thanked me as I left and got my order correct to boot. Around here, we're lucky to get a grunt and a glance from our fast food folk. Don't even get me started on their incompetence with getting orders correct.

I just found CO more friendly IMHO. But, I'll admit that was about 13 years ago and just my humble experience(s).

Sig229

Where you were born skirts into non-legal questions, specifically national origin and/or ethnicity. Discrimination against a recent transplant "unfamiliar with the area" is different than discriminating against someone for "not being born here".

Nobody on this thread is discussing whether a person is born in this country or not.

Personally, I'd be suspicious of someone potentially overqualified who just moved to the state with a history of moving around.

Oh?
You realize that kids who have one or more parents in the Military often move all over the nation and even the world.
My best friend who graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy got married, had kids afterwards and his family has lived in four other countries and about a dozen states in the last eighteen years.

I guess someone like you would be suspicious if one of his kids applied for a job at your company.

My thought wouldn't be that they weren't "native", but that they just moved here as their latest stop, are looking for a job to pass the time,.

Even though when looking at their work history it shows that they have held previous jobs for years?
That doesnt sound like someone "just passing time" to me.

I dont know anything about you, but trust me. Its a big world out there and a lot people dont live and work in some po-dunk town all their lives.

Last edited:

Sig229

Even the Wendy's drive-thu employees where I nabbed a few quick meals took my orders in a clear voice, gave me my total, made eye contact, counted out my change, and thanked me as I left and got my order correct to boot. Around here, we're lucky to get a grunt and a glance from our fast food folk. Don't even get me started on their incompetence with getting orders correct.

I just found CO more friendly IMHO. But, I'll admit that was about 13 years ago and just my humble experience(s).

Hey, Im not disputing that CO is a wonderful place with wonderful people.

Some of the finest human beings I have ever met are from the CO/WY area.
I still have many great friends there.

Last edited: