• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about open carrying with a British tourist.

Hamans-gallows

I was talking to a Brit on a forum and told him that if he makes it to Colorado we can take an open carry stroll together.

A firearms dealer on the forum told me that it would be a violation of Federal law.

My take on it, is that if it is my gun, and he is with me while carrying it, he is not really in possession any more than he would be if he rented a handgun at the range, and no transfer has taken place.

My uncle was an NFA dealer, and he told me that as long as I was in his shop, or with him, I could play with his stuff all I wanted, and it was not considered possession or a transfer.

What do you think?

EDIT: The dealer just told me that in his opinion, it is a violation of Federal law for a foreign tourist to rent an gun at a range, and the owners of the ranges are unaware of it.

Last edited:

RandyH

Renting a gun at a range is privet property not in a public place.
As far a federal law goes with a non resident alien that is one that I would look that up and know for my self and not go by what some one tells me.
My first concern would be for some one from a country where guns are illegal. Also if he is not comfortable it may draw wanted attention.
Just my opinion.

O2HeN2

Letting foreigners hold/shoot is no problem...

...it's really big business in Hawaii: Waikiki Gun Club

There's an "English" button at the top left for those who can't read Japanese (like me).

O2

Ps. Gawd that's awful form of the four shooters leaning backwards!

Last edited:

Beau

I spent a bit of time trying to find federal law regarding this. So far I haven't come up with anything. Then again I am not so good at searching the federal stuff.

Sig229

As far as I've ever been able to tell, the restrictions are on purchasing, not possession.

O2

This is true.
There are no federal laws prohibiting the carry of a legal foreign national visiting the US.
As long as your overseas visitor entered the country legally and has not overstayed his time allotted to him, he is legal.

I remember my ex girlfriend was here in America on a student visa and she was legally able to buy firearms. This was in Maryland, so carrying was out of the question.

since9

Campaign Veteran
There are no federal laws prohibiting the carry of a legal foreign national visiting the US.

Glad to know that! I carried a Brit several years ago. She'd sprained her ankle and couldn't walk. I was concerned I'd broken some law... :lol:

As long as your overseas visitor entered the country legally and has not overstayed his time allotted to him, he is legal.

I looked into this on two separate occasions over the years. Found the same answer both times from different authoritative sources, and the answer you provided above matches what I found to a "T"

mahkagari

I remember my ex girlfriend was here in America on a student visa and she was legally able to buy firearms. This was in Maryland, so carrying was out of the question.

I recall a non-citizen friend was delayed (not precluded) on her purchase because of her status, but even for purchase there is an entry for a legal permanent resident to enter their A#.

JamesB

Couple of years ago I had a friend come visit from "over the pond."
We took him out for an all day shooting trip. Handguns, rifles, shotguns... we used everything.
If there's no issue about posession for that instance, there shouldn't be for posession in another instance.

And remember not consent to ID anyway.

Beau

Couple of years ago I had a friend come visit from "over the pond."
We took him out for an all day shooting trip. Handguns, rifles, shotguns... we used everything.
If there's no issue about posession for that instance, there shouldn't be for posession in another instance.

And remember not consent to ID anyway.

Good point. Since OC is a legal activity there is no requirement to provide any identification, even verbally, if stopped.