• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off duty cop's s&w m&p "accidentally" goes off...

KYGlockster

Activist Member
No firearm just accidentally goes off, especially not a modern manufactured M&P. This was a negligent discharge, just as they all are.

Dreamer

Unless the woman who was shot was a midget, or on her knees, I find it very difficult to understand the ballistic trajectory/body position dynamics that would result in an IWB-carried handgun firing a round that would hit someone in the chest who was hugging the carrier from behind.

And if this story is true, then this cop has the worst situational awareness/personal space management while carrying skills on the planet.

The "official story" just doesn't pass the "physics sniff test."

Unless this cop was carrying special "Dealy Plaza" bullets that could make u-turns in mid-air, I just can't see how this actually happened as reported.

I'm sure that Detroit's "thin blue line" has taken the appropriate measures to "get the story straight" before releasing their explanation to the media, and will stick to it, regardless of what forensics and the autopsy reveals.

And where are the Brady's on this story? Why aren't they wailing about those "gun it cops" who are so paranoid that they need to CC when they are off-duty? If he really feels that unsafe, he could just dial 911 and his buddies would come immediately to his aid, right? :rolleyes:

Michigander

I'm sure that Detroit's "thin blue line" has taken the appropriate measures to "get the story straight" before releasing their explanation to the media, and will stick to it, regardless of what forensics and the autopsy reveals.:

I wouldn't count on it being kept too quiet. Even when you consider the Kwame Kilpatrick days, the police were never particularly tight lipped when privately speaking off the record.

Word will get around, just not on the news.

RockyMtnScotsman

Part of the responsibility that goes along with carrying a firearm is that you are ultimately responsible for any/every thing that happens with that firearm. If the cop (on or off duty ... don't care) allowed his weapon to be discharged through negligence he is ultimately liable and should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law for the applicable jurisdiction.

Tony_B

Unless the woman who was shot was a midget, or on her knees, I find it very difficult to understand the ballistic trajectory

Could she have been performing some act on the occifer and reach for a part of his body not realizing he had a pistol located there discharging it herself? Her performing a sexual act on him would be reason for this story to disappear.

Last edited: