• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here in Va Beach: Need to find firearms class that's a good fit for an "older" woman

Betty_Rose_Brown

Here in Va Beach: Need to find firearms class that's a good fit for an "older" woman

I'm a 53 year old woman who owns three handguns (one of which is an antique; two are for personal safety).

I don't need to learn how to crawl on the ground and/or shoot like a Navy Seal, but I'd like to learn something more about firearm safety and I'd *love* to take the NRA "Don't Be a Victim" course. Despite some serious online searching, I can't seem to find either of these things - here in Hampton Roads.

I'm starting to wonder if private lessons are the way to go, but they're not cheap. And I'd rather be in a class.

I've done a fair amount of target practice (out there at the range each month) and I have my CHP, but I'd love to learn a little more.

Any suggestions?

I'd be most grateful for any and all help.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm a 53 year old woman who owns three handguns (one of which is an antique; two are for personal safety).

I don't need to learn how to crawl on the ground and/or shoot like a Navy Seal, but I'd like to learn something more about firearm safety and I'd *love* to take the NRA "Don't Be a Victim" course. Despite some serious online searching, I can't seem to find either of these things - here in Hampton Roads.

I'm starting to wonder if private lessons are the way to go, but they're not cheap. And I'd rather be in a class.

I've done a fair amount of target practice (out there at the range each month) and I have my CHP, but I'd love to learn a little more.

Any suggestions?

I'd be most grateful for any and all help.

Betty, call Jim Reynolds. He's not in the beach but he does some classes in Hampton. He'll probably work something out.
He's ExLE, a member in very good standing here and a good friend. He's also the only instructor I trusted my wife to.

header-logo.gif

Phone – 804-307-8315

OH...Welcome to the site!

Last edited:

mk4

Betty, call Jim Reynolds. He's not in the beach but he does some classes in Hampton. He'll probably work something out.
He's ExLE, a member in very good standing here and a good friend. He's also the only instructor I trusted my wife to.

header-logo.gif

Phone – 804-307-8315

OH...Welcome to the site!

+1 recommending Jim, Betty.
i've attended 2 of his courses and am attending his nra range safety officer course later this month.

welcome to ocdo va!

scouser

another vote for Jim Reynolds, when you meet him you'll understand why so many people here recommend him. He knows what he's talking about and is very down to earth and approachable. You might find someone as good, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone better.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Thank you SOOOOO much!

I'm very grateful. Sounds like just what I'm looking for. :)

You guys are all too kind!!

(your checks are in the mail...please don't cash them until Monday! :) )

Betty - please visit our website, or call me during the day at 804-307-8315. I will be happy to assist you as best as I can. We have a "ladies only" NRA Basic Pistol Shooting class coming up in August. I also do the NRA Refuse to be a victim class. We will be putting one on the calendar again here very soon.

Jim Reynolds

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Jim also sponsored a Shoot for the Cure event last year, with proceeds to breast cancer research. He's got it together.

Steeler-gal

Jim also sponsored a Shoot for the Cure event last year, with proceeds to breast cancer research. He's got it together.

Ditto what everyone has said. Jim is an excellent instructor.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing