Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Obama gives himself control of all communications

  1. #1
    Regular Member derhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    66

    Obama gives himself control of all communications

    Apologies, since this isn't an Open Carry news item, but it is pretty important: http://rt.com/usa/news/obama-preside...nications-770/

    So basically, this criminal dictator has given himself control of all national communications. Time to stock up on short-wave transmitters.

    -derhammer

  2. #2
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    All I have to say to that is, good luck with the "continuity of communications" on the government level in a total SHTF scenario...

    When the power goes out, and the cell towers all get knocked down, anyone who's not running a ham radio or shortwave rig off solar will be screwed--even the government. You can only run generators for so long.

    The military has the ability for worldwide communications because they still have a lot of radio gear--even if the satellites are knocked out by a solar flare or something, but they are not "sustainable" and are reliant on batteries and generators too.

    Amateur radio operators will be one of the most sought-after types of people in a post-SHTF, EOTWAWKI situation...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 07-10-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    466
    like all dictators this latest one will continue to grab power until he finds himself buried to his neck with citizens taking turns to saw at his exposed neck with a bamboo saw

    ...can't come soon enough
    Last edited by RockyMtnScotsman; 07-10-2012 at 11:30 PM.

  4. #4
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    This is nothing compared to the recent EO he signed giving the Federal Government complete authority during times of emergency and times of peace to confiscate nearly everything we own anytime they see fit. Not only can they confiscate our things, but they can also force us into forced labor. I hope they never use all the recent legislation and executive orders, but if they do we all need to be prepared to deal with the actions accordingly.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 07-10-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    466
    He may have granted himself the "authority" to confiscate it, but he'd pay dearly trying to collect on it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    All I have to say to that is, good luck with the "continuity of communications" on the government level in a total SHTF scenario...

    When the power goes out, and the cell towers all get knocked down, anyone who's not running a ham radio or shortwave rig off solar will be screwed--even the government. You can only run generators for so long.

    The military has the ability for worldwide communications because they still have a lot of radio gear--even if the satellites are knocked out by a solar flare or something, but they are not "sustainable" and are reliant on batteries and generators too.

    Amateur radio operators will be one of the most sought-after types of people in a post-SHTF, EOTWAWKI situation...
    dont take this personally but you are incorrect.

    The cell towers have batteries/generators that will enable continuous service for quite a while as long as fuel is delivered (some have solar recharge). These cell towers are connected via landline copper/fiber that is powered via generators in the central offices and they can run indefinately as long as fuel gets to them. Cellular switching facilities are equipped the same way.

    the only way to disable the communications grid is to knock out the landline facilities. Everything runs through them, even cellular and internet.

    the national landline/cellular communications infrastructure is designed to continue working "off the grid" without interruption. So yes this is a scary idea that the DICKtator in chief has given himself this power.
    Last edited by PFC HALE; 07-10-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  7. #7
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
    He may have granted himself the "authority" to confiscate it, but he'd pay dearly trying to collect on it.
    lead poisoning...
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  8. #8
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    dont take this personally but you are incorrect.

    The cell towers have batteries/generators that will enable continuous service for quite a while as long as fuel is delivered (some have solar recharge). These cell towers are connected via landline copper/fiber that is powered via generators in the central offices and they can run indefinately as long as fuel gets to them. Cellular switching facilities are equipped the same way.

    the only way to disable the communications grid is to knock out the landline facilities. Everything runs through them, even cellular and internet.

    the national landline/cellular communications infrastructure is designed to continue working "off the grid" without interruption. So yes this is a scary idea that the DICKtator in chief has given himself this power.
    That may be, but is the cellular infrastructure insulated against EMP? Id be willing to bet that in the D.C. Metro area it is, but outside of that area it isnt.

    Anyone that does have a HAM ticket, be sure to have back up equipment stored in EMP proof Faraday cage.
    You can actually make one very cheaply.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
    Last edited by Sig229; 07-11-2012 at 01:05 AM.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    That may be, but is the cellular infrastructure insulated against EMP? Id be willing to bet that in the D.C. Metro area it is, but outside of that area it isnt.

    Anyone that does have a HAM ticket, be sure to have back up equipment stored in EMP proof Faraday cage.
    You can actually make one very cheaply.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
    no it is not protected against EMP.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    no it is not protected against EMP.
    And as Im sure you know even a very small Electromagnetic Pulse would wipe out millions of civilian communication devices, automobiles made past 1985 or so, appliances, and even generators equipped with an electronic ignition.
    It would essentially take America back to the Victorian era (1830's - 1900)

    An EMP doesn't have to come from an nuclear explosion either.
    A large solar storm could do it with ease.
    Last edited by Sig229; 07-11-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  11. #11
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492
    well a large cme event would cause longline disruption and or failure but a cme event wont disable a car. it will inhibit radio comms for many days as it would overload the ionosphere with charged particles.

    it would take a mid level or lower nuke to disable smaller electronic devices and that is still an isolated event.

    or if someone created a non destructive EMP device that might have its own damaging implications.

    but then again if things are unpowered when an emp event happens you should be fine.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    but then again if things are unpowered when an emp event happens you should be fine.
    Thats a very important fact that I totally forgot about.

    If I had a spare car in the garage with the battery un hooked, you think that would protect the vehicles computer from an EMP?

    If not, I better buy a horse. lol
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  13. #13
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Thats a very important fact that I totally forgot about.

    If I had a spare car in the garage with the battery un hooked, you think that would protect the vehicles computer from an EMP?

    If not, I better buy a horse. lol
    you should be fine as the system would be "open" and current couldnt flow. now long transmission lines would suffer from inducted current and cause power spikes which overpower fuses/breakers/ and bleed into sub components. thus your home and computers with no surge protection would be at risk

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Not only can they confiscate our things, but they can also force us into forced labor.
    "When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, If This Goes On, 1940.
    Last edited by since9; 07-11-2012 at 02:38 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Betty_Rose_Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    29

    Yikes

    EMP is the thing I fear the most. There really is no way to safeguard against it. I recently got my Ham Radio license but haven't invested in equipment yet. (Been busy saving up to buy a fine-looking Glock.)

    In the last five years, I've read only one fiction book, and it was "One Second After" by William Forstchen and it's the scariest thing I've ever come across. It was frustration that prompted him to write the book. He feels that our politicians aren't taking this threat seriously enough, and in writing this book, he hoped it would open the eyes of enough people to get something DONE to protect us.

    Last year, the House of Representatives approved a $100 million program that would help make our electrical grid safe from EMPs. What's a $100 million? Not much to the US government. It was struck down in the Senate (which is unconscionable). THe proposal would have installed fuses at many junctions, so that the damage from an EMP would be limited to a few areas, and not have the potential to take down the entire US.

    Forstchen writes, "EMP is a real threat, I believe the most underestimated threat in the history of our country. In the late 1930s we completely underestimated the Japanese and the potentials of a new technology. . .carrier based aviation. No one took the threat seriously and on December 7, 1941 close to three thousand Americans died. The war that ensued would claim close to half a million American lives. Pearl Harbor was a blow we could recover from and go on to eventual victory. An EMP strike? I believe it would be the death of America, the death of our children. . .it would be the end of the America we cherish and love. . .and plunge the few who survive into a new dark age."

    THere is nothing we can do to prepare for an EMP threat, short of moving to the mountains, developing massive solar resources and learning how to live off the land 100%.

    EMP doesn't have to be the work of an enemy. Read up on the Carrington Event (Solar Storm of 1859) if you want to have one more thing to worry about...
    Last edited by Betty_Rose_Brown; 07-11-2012 at 08:45 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member gunns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    you should be fine as the system would be "open" and current couldnt flow. now long transmission lines would suffer from inducted current and cause power spikes which overpower fuses/breakers/ and bleed into sub components. thus your home and computers with no surge protection would be at risk
    Your assumption that since the circuit is open it would be fine is incorrect. EMP causes damage to even open circuits because it induces High voltage at higher then normal current levels thus tunneling circuits (shorting) them. Think of it as removing a battery from a flashlight, then an emp pulse races thru the flashlight causing polarities to flip flop rapidly in the light bulb at hundreds of volts higher then normal. POP goes the light.

    You also have to remember that just opening and removing a circuit card from a static bag without a grounded wrist strap can cause a failure or degradation in operation. If the static electricity from a person can cause circuit damage to an open circuit, then a pulse can destroy it.
    Last edited by gunns; 07-11-2012 at 09:08 AM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by gunns View Post
    Your assumption that since the circuit is open it would be fine is incorrect. EMP causes damage to even open circuits because it induces High voltage at higher then normal current levels thus tunneling circuits (shorting) them. Think of it as removing a battery from a flashlight, then an emp pulse races thru the flashlight causing polarities to flip flop rapidly in the light bulb at hundreds of volts higher then normal. POP goes the light.

    You also have to remember that just opening and removing a circuit card from a static bag without a grounded wrist strap can cause a failure or degradation in operation. If the static electricity from a person can cause circuit damage to an open circuit, then a pulse can destroy it.
    Thats what I always had thought.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  18. #18
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    An EMP doesn't have to come from an nuclear explosion either.
    A large solar storm could do it with ease.

    Actually, in a CME with enough energy to disable automobiles and small electronics with EMP, the loss of use of your Cell phone or Prius would be the least of your worries, because you (and every other life form on the surface of the planet) would probably be irradiated to death...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 07-12-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Rose_Brown View Post
    EMP is the thing I fear the most. There really is no way to safeguard against it
    Sure there is. The U.S. has been building EMP-hardened systems for decades. A company less than one mile from my home makes EMP-hardened chips, primarily for satellites.

    The first link talks about two methods. The other links reinforce the information and provide more.

    Link 1

    Link 2

    Link 3

    Link 4

    THere is nothing we can do to prepare for an EMP threat, short of moving to the mountains, developing massive solar resources and learning how to live off the land 100%.
    This is absolutely false, overly-sensational, defeatist, and counter-productive.

    Now that you've read from the layman's sites, check out this article for what you can do for/with your own home and electronics.

    As for layman's sites, this one is the best I've found to date.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    but a cme event wont disable a car.
    I was content to just read, but I have to chime in here. An EMP would absolutely disable a modern vehicle. All the computers and such would be fried and the vehicle simply cannot run without them.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    I was content to just read, but I have to chime in here. An EMP would absolutely disable a modern vehicle. All the computers and such would be fried and the vehicle simply cannot run without them.
    Do you have a citation to any reliable scientific evidence to back up your statement?

  22. #22
    Regular Member Betty_Rose_Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Do you have a citation to any reliable scientific evidence to back up your statement?
    William Forschen is generally regarded as an expert in this field, and much of my information comes from what he's written.

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Rose_Brown View Post
    William Forschen is generally regarded as an expert in this field, and much of my information comes from what he's written.
    William R. Forstchen, author of One Second After, "is an American author who began publishing in 1983 with the novel Ice Prophet. He is a Professor of History and Faculty Fellow at Montreat College, in Montreat, North Carolina. He received his doctorate from Purdue University with specializations in Military History, the American Civil War and the History of Technology."

    By the way, I spent four summers at Montreat.

    Back to reality... Most of his work is fiction, although he's written some non-fiction. Although his novel was based "upon several years of intensive research and interviews," I would not call him an expert in EMP. By comparison, I would most certainly label military scientists who've studied EMP for sixty-five years as "experts" because that's precisely what they are.

    I would also refer to the Federal Association of Scientists as experts. I linked to a paper by them in my previous post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    An EMP would absolutely disable a modern vehicle. All the computers and such would be fried and the vehicle simply cannot run without them.
    While it certainly could disable a modern vehicle, that's not a given. The chips in modern vehicles are designed to withstand serious electrical surges, including the kind caused by lightening and, yes, EMPs. High voltage can take them out, but again, it's not a given. If it were, you'd see cops equipped with rifle-like tasers to take down cars. Doesn't exist as it's not a given.

    Furthermore, a vehicles chips are spread all over the vehicle. They usually reside in the engine bay, often in a single box, and sometimes all on one chip. That makes servicing easy.

    Finally, these chips aren't high-tech. They have about as much processing power as an HP-41C, although they're faster. What they are is rugged and easily replaced. For around $50 to $150 you can buy a factory-spec replacement chip you can keep in a Faraday cage in case of an EMP. That won't save your built-in GPS, but at least you'll be able to start your car.

    As for Forstchen's depiction of what would happen sociologically, you have to have spent some time in Black Mountain, NC, in order to understand where he's coming from. The folks there are nice, but they're not exactly swift or terribly resourceful. They're certainly not a fair representation of folks elsewhere in the United States.
    Last edited by since9; 07-15-2012 at 02:27 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •