• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama gives himself control of all communications

Dreamer

All I have to say to that is, good luck with the "continuity of communications" on the government level in a total SHTF scenario...

When the power goes out, and the cell towers all get knocked down, anyone who's not running a ham radio or shortwave rig off solar will be screwed--even the government. You can only run generators for so long.

The military has the ability for worldwide communications because they still have a lot of radio gear--even if the satellites are knocked out by a solar flare or something, but they are not "sustainable" and are reliant on batteries and generators too.

Amateur radio operators will be one of the most sought-after types of people in a post-SHTF, EOTWAWKI situation...

Last edited:

RockyMtnScotsman

like all dictators this latest one will continue to grab power until he finds himself buried to his neck with citizens taking turns to saw at his exposed neck with a bamboo saw

...can't come soon enough

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
This is nothing compared to the recent EO he signed giving the Federal Government complete authority during times of emergency and times of peace to confiscate nearly everything we own anytime they see fit. Not only can they confiscate our things, but they can also force us into forced labor. I hope they never use all the recent legislation and executive orders, but if they do we all need to be prepared to deal with the actions accordingly.

Last edited:

PFC HALE

All I have to say to that is, good luck with the "continuity of communications" on the government level in a total SHTF scenario...

When the power goes out, and the cell towers all get knocked down, anyone who's not running a ham radio or shortwave rig off solar will be screwed--even the government. You can only run generators for so long.

The military has the ability for worldwide communications because they still have a lot of radio gear--even if the satellites are knocked out by a solar flare or something, but they are not "sustainable" and are reliant on batteries and generators too.

Amateur radio operators will be one of the most sought-after types of people in a post-SHTF, EOTWAWKI situation...

dont take this personally but you are incorrect.

The cell towers have batteries/generators that will enable continuous service for quite a while as long as fuel is delivered (some have solar recharge). These cell towers are connected via landline copper/fiber that is powered via generators in the central offices and they can run indefinately as long as fuel gets to them. Cellular switching facilities are equipped the same way.

the only way to disable the communications grid is to knock out the landline facilities. Everything runs through them, even cellular and internet.

the national landline/cellular communications infrastructure is designed to continue working "off the grid" without interruption. So yes this is a scary idea that the DICKtator in chief has given himself this power.

Last edited:

Sig229

dont take this personally but you are incorrect.

The cell towers have batteries/generators that will enable continuous service for quite a while as long as fuel is delivered (some have solar recharge). These cell towers are connected via landline copper/fiber that is powered via generators in the central offices and they can run indefinately as long as fuel gets to them. Cellular switching facilities are equipped the same way.

the only way to disable the communications grid is to knock out the landline facilities. Everything runs through them, even cellular and internet.

the national landline/cellular communications infrastructure is designed to continue working "off the grid" without interruption. So yes this is a scary idea that the DICKtator in chief has given himself this power.

That may be, but is the cellular infrastructure insulated against EMP? Id be willing to bet that in the D.C. Metro area it is, but outside of that area it isnt.

Anyone that does have a HAM ticket, be sure to have back up equipment stored in EMP proof Faraday cage.
You can actually make one very cheaply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Last edited:

PFC HALE

That may be, but is the cellular infrastructure insulated against EMP? Id be willing to bet that in the D.C. Metro area it is, but outside of that area it isnt.

Anyone that does have a HAM ticket, be sure to have back up equipment stored in EMP proof Faraday cage.
You can actually make one very cheaply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

no it is not protected against EMP.

Sig229

no it is not protected against EMP.

And as Im sure you know even a very small Electromagnetic Pulse would wipe out millions of civilian communication devices, automobiles made past 1985 or so, appliances, and even generators equipped with an electronic ignition.
It would essentially take America back to the Victorian era (1830's - 1900)

An EMP doesn't have to come from an nuclear explosion either.
A large solar storm could do it with ease.

Last edited:

PFC HALE

well a large cme event would cause longline disruption and or failure but a cme event wont disable a car. it will inhibit radio comms for many days as it would overload the ionosphere with charged particles.

it would take a mid level or lower nuke to disable smaller electronic devices and that is still an isolated event.

or if someone created a non destructive EMP device that might have its own damaging implications.

but then again if things are unpowered when an emp event happens you should be fine.

Sig229

but then again if things are unpowered when an emp event happens you should be fine.

Thats a very important fact that I totally forgot about.

If I had a spare car in the garage with the battery un hooked, you think that would protect the vehicles computer from an EMP?

If not, I better buy a horse. lol

PFC HALE

Thats a very important fact that I totally forgot about.

If I had a spare car in the garage with the battery un hooked, you think that would protect the vehicles computer from an EMP?

If not, I better buy a horse. lol

you should be fine as the system would be "open" and current couldnt flow. now long transmission lines would suffer from inducted current and cause power spikes which overpower fuses/breakers/ and bleed into sub components. thus your home and computers with no surge protection would be at risk

since9

Campaign Veteran
Not only can they confiscate our things, but they can also force us into forced labor.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, If This Goes On, 1940.

Last edited:

Betty_Rose_Brown

Yikes

EMP is the thing I fear the most. There really is no way to safeguard against it. I recently got my Ham Radio license but haven't invested in equipment yet. (Been busy saving up to buy a fine-looking Glock.)

In the last five years, I've read only one fiction book, and it was "One Second After" by William Forstchen and it's the scariest thing I've ever come across. It was frustration that prompted him to write the book. He feels that our politicians aren't taking this threat seriously enough, and in writing this book, he hoped it would open the eyes of enough people to get something DONE to protect us.

Last year, the House of Representatives approved a $100 million program that would help make our electrical grid safe from EMPs. What's a $100 million? Not much to the US government. It was struck down in the Senate (which is unconscionable). THe proposal would have installed fuses at many junctions, so that the damage from an EMP would be limited to a few areas, and not have the potential to take down the entire US.

Forstchen writes, "EMP is a real threat, I believe the most underestimated threat in the history of our country. In the late 1930s we completely underestimated the Japanese and the potentials of a new technology. . .carrier based aviation. No one took the threat seriously and on December 7, 1941 close to three thousand Americans died. The war that ensued would claim close to half a million American lives. Pearl Harbor was a blow we could recover from and go on to eventual victory. An EMP strike? I believe it would be the death of America, the death of our children. . .it would be the end of the America we cherish and love. . .and plunge the few who survive into a new dark age."​

THere is nothing we can do to prepare for an EMP threat, short of moving to the mountains, developing massive solar resources and learning how to live off the land 100%.

EMP doesn't have to be the work of an enemy. Read up on the Carrington Event (Solar Storm of 1859) if you want to have one more thing to worry about...

Last edited:

gunns

you should be fine as the system would be "open" and current couldnt flow. now long transmission lines would suffer from inducted current and cause power spikes which overpower fuses/breakers/ and bleed into sub components. thus your home and computers with no surge protection would be at risk

Your assumption that since the circuit is open it would be fine is incorrect. EMP causes damage to even open circuits because it induces High voltage at higher then normal current levels thus tunneling circuits (shorting) them. Think of it as removing a battery from a flashlight, then an emp pulse races thru the flashlight causing polarities to flip flop rapidly in the light bulb at hundreds of volts higher then normal. POP goes the light.

You also have to remember that just opening and removing a circuit card from a static bag without a grounded wrist strap can cause a failure or degradation in operation. If the static electricity from a person can cause circuit damage to an open circuit, then a pulse can destroy it.

Last edited:

Sig229

Your assumption that since the circuit is open it would be fine is incorrect. EMP causes damage to even open circuits because it induces High voltage at higher then normal current levels thus tunneling circuits (shorting) them. Think of it as removing a battery from a flashlight, then an emp pulse races thru the flashlight causing polarities to flip flop rapidly in the light bulb at hundreds of volts higher then normal. POP goes the light.

You also have to remember that just opening and removing a circuit card from a static bag without a grounded wrist strap can cause a failure or degradation in operation. If the static electricity from a person can cause circuit damage to an open circuit, then a pulse can destroy it.

Thats what I always had thought.

Dreamer

An EMP doesn't have to come from an nuclear explosion either.
A large solar storm could do it with ease.

Actually, in a CME with enough energy to disable automobiles and small electronics with EMP, the loss of use of your Cell phone or Prius would be the least of your worries, because you (and every other life form on the surface of the planet) would probably be irradiated to death...

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
EMP is the thing I fear the most. There really is no way to safeguard against it

Sure there is. The U.S. has been building EMP-hardened systems for decades. A company less than one mile from my home makes EMP-hardened chips, primarily for satellites.

The first link talks about two methods. The other links reinforce the information and provide more.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

THere is nothing we can do to prepare for an EMP threat, short of moving to the mountains, developing massive solar resources and learning how to live off the land 100%.

This is absolutely false, overly-sensational, defeatist, and counter-productive.

Now that you've read from the layman's sites, check out this article for what you can do for/with your own home and electronics.

As for layman's sites, this one is the best I've found to date.

Oramac

but a cme event wont disable a car.

I was content to just read, but I have to chime in here. An EMP would absolutely disable a modern vehicle. All the computers and such would be fried and the vehicle simply cannot run without them.